Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Troy DC is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 4,302

The Troy DC is

Dec 23, 2018, 7:47 PM

Vic Koenning (sp) which is a name from the past. What are the thoughts on this gentleman?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DC at a mid major school is perfect for him.

Dec 23, 2018, 7:54 PM

We always had a decent defense under Koenning. Nothing outstanding, but most of our losses during his time was due to bad offensive schemes. It was bubble screen central those years. He did seem to have trouble with Virginia Tech back then, iirc. Those are the only games I can remember where we didn't look competitve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DC at a mid major school is perfect for him.

Dec 23, 2018, 8:07 PM

Did you forget the West Virginia game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't that Kevin Steele?***

Dec 23, 2018, 8:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wasn't that Kevin Steele?***

Dec 23, 2018, 8:23 PM

Yep, my bad. Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've tried very hard to forget that game

Dec 23, 2018, 8:50 PM

Fortunately, it took that game to get us where we are now with Dabo going after BV right after that debacle. Also we were at least competitive for 20 minutes of that game. It seems that fumble going into the endzone and WVU returning it 99 yards was the biggest swing of a game in Clemson history. It was back and forth up until that point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DC at a mid major school is perfect for him.

Dec 23, 2018, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: DC at a mid major school is perfect for him. ]

I think Steele was dc in West va game

Dabo fired him the day after he was hired full time

Dec 23, 2018, 8:03 PM

Most were glad. Dabo fired Spence as soon as he was made interim head coach. His first two coordinaters weren't much better. Napier and Steele. Steele was just a mistake. Napier was too young.

Re: Dabo fired him the day after he was hired full time

Dec 23, 2018, 9:19 PM

Vic believed he was entitled to the HC job. He would have been a problem had he stayed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo fired him the day after he was hired full time

Dec 24, 2018, 2:32 PM

Yeah, I think that firing was more because him and Dabo didn’t get along than it was about his defense.

Koenig was an excellent DC

Dec 23, 2018, 10:25 PM

I think he got his feathers ruffled when they fired Bowden and didn't make him interim. Many were happy to see him go, but (statistically) he led a dominant Clemson defense for many years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Koenig was excellent but had shootouts w Gatech***

Dec 24, 2018, 9:13 AM

Re: Koenig was an excellent DC

Dec 24, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Koenig was an excellent DC ]

The man could not protect leads late in games. To his credit, he has adapted to the current game.

Re: The Troy DC is

Dec 24, 2018, 9:47 AM

I always though VC was a good DC for the guys we had back then. Koenning played a ton more zone than we play today under BV or even under Kevin Steele because we simply didn't have the athletes on defense to matchup 1 on 1 in man defense.

Outside of the WVU game and 2011 Kevin Steele has slightly better defenses than VC, but I would argue that Steele had more talent on defense than VC did.

Koenning did a great job considering we weren't to play press man virtually any and very little man to man at all. If your defense is forced to only play zone then they will get picked apart by the better QB (i.e., Matt Ryan).

That said, I think Dabo did the right thing getting rid of him since there was bad blood over VC not getting the HC job.

He was at Troy when we hired him under CTB.

Dec 24, 2018, 1:48 PM

His bend but dont break D was really leave our guys out there longer and give up the score anyways. Dabo told him to attack more and we had success in doing so. He had great secondary and DEs, his idea of what a LBs are was a problem. We had no size at LB, during his tenure at Clemson.

Replies: 14
| visibility 4,302
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic