Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Billy Cannon passes away at 80....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,995

Billy Cannon passes away at 80....

May 20, 2018, 3:21 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/1959-heisman-trophy-winner-lsu-legend-billy-cannon-passes-away-at-80/ar-AAxyk5Q?ocid=spartanntp

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He and LSU beat us in 1958 Sugar Bowl.***

May 20, 2018, 4:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He and LSU beat us in 1958 Sugar Bowl.***

May 20, 2018, 4:45 PM

I remember that game well as a kid and Billy was a great player
I cried some big kid tears over that game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to He and LSU beat us in 1958 Sugar Bowl.*** ]

The article says that LSU won the Natty that year after beating Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, and that Billy was the only one to score points against us. Interesting.

May 20, 2018, 5:39 PM

I think they were name national champion before the bowl game that year. And I think Billy Cannon did pridion time as well.

I've told it a million times; here goes a million-and-one.

May 20, 2018, 5:29 PM [ in reply to He and LSU beat us in 1958 Sugar Bowl.*** ]

My father attended that Sugar Bowl, which was actually played Jan 1, 1959. I was born a little over nine months later. So, I've always figured I was the result of a homecoming/victory celebration. My dad bought a big, white cowboy hat while in New orleans for the game, and though I never saw him wear it, he kept it in his closet, and would take it down from time to time and tell me about New Orleans and that Sugar Bowl game. He always called it his "Sugar Bowl hat". He never told me how he came to purchase it, but I'm sure that alcohol was involved.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He never crossed the goal line..threw a HB pass for the win***

May 20, 2018, 8:01 PM [ in reply to He and LSU beat us in 1958 Sugar Bowl.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Billy Cannon passes away at 80....

May 20, 2018, 4:46 PM

Been a radio DX'er all my life. Loved listening on Sat. nights to clear channel WWL out of New Orleans catching LSU football. I was all of 8 years old,,

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Billy Cannon passes away at 80....

May 20, 2018, 6:19 PM

I was listening to LSU's game with my dad and heard Cannon's 89 yard punt return against Ole Miss in 1959. Those two teams met again in the Sugar Bowl that year and Ole Miss stomped LSU. Cannon was a great player and deserved the Heisman in both 58 and 59.

Back then, the national championship was decided at the end of the regular season, and LSU's 7-0 win over Clemson had no bearing on the NC. LSU was already the 1958 NC.

Cannon threw the 10 yard TD pass that beat Clemson on a 4th and goal play after a bad snap on a punt attempt. The good Tigers held for the first three plays. Other than that pass, Cannon didn't do much against Clemson, and Lou Cordileone made life miserable for him with several TFL's.

Prior to the game, the national sports media constantly belittled our Tiger team saying it had no place against the great LSU. After the game, a few honest writers admitted that they were surprised at how good Clemson really was.

Cannon was a favorite of mine as a pro, and it is a shame that he ruined his later life by going to prison for counterfeiting. He was a legend, an established dentist, and could have had anything he wanted in LA just for the asking.

Who was the LSU announcer then? Ferguson? He was

May 20, 2018, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Billy Cannon passes away at 80.... ]

awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Know that Coach Howard talked Little Clemson into that unlikely match-up since...

May 20, 2018, 7:04 PM

LSU was ranked #1 & Clemson #10 but we were undefeated (maybe 1 tie).

Tigers played their hearts out in that Sugar Bowl..in my 1st year of being a proud Fan.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Know that Coach Howard talked Little Clemson into that unlikely match-up since...

May 20, 2018, 9:17 PM

Clemson was ranked about #25 when we played #1 LSU in the 58 Sugar Bowl. We lost to GA Tech and a terrible 26-6 lost to the coots. I was at that Big Thursday horror. We went up 6-0 early and laid down and played dead for the rest of the game. That was the game that Coach Howard said his head got sun burned from tipping his hat to coot Coach Giese. He repaid the coots the next year 27-0 in the last Big Thursday game and never lost to Giese again.

His team did the Clemson Nation proud against LSU and lost because of a couple of bad breaks.

He was the first , and for a while the only, Heisman winner

May 20, 2018, 8:32 PM

to score on Clemson...A streak Doug Flutie broke all to HeII

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,995
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic