Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CLEMSON UNIV was once named A&M & then College..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

CLEMSON UNIV was once named A&M & then College..

Sep 7, 2018, 9:04 AM

Agricultural & Mechanical i would presume & read, and main reason we were established as opposed to SC Univ.

However, when Clemson A&M was established in 1889, a majority of the SC Univ (as it was named then) students had to come here due to legislative degree & courses offered and thus that Columbia institution had to change it’s name and its student body decreased by 50% or more, i believe.

Also, that is One of the reasons for the great dislike & negative long-time rivalry..due to screwing up their name, causing lower enrollment figures, having money taken from their budget, becoming a competing educational entity And playing football better (we did lose the 1st game with Coots but about 26 ahead now & counting).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEMSON was once named A&M..

Sep 7, 2018, 9:11 AM

Got my granddads 1935 diploma hanging on the wall in my spare bedroom from 'The Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina'. One of his old pennants though says 'Clemson A&M College Fort Hill SC'.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2018, 9:21 AM

When I was a freshman in '74, my roommate and I were in Judge Keller's looking at decals. He wanted one for his Ford cargo van. He had converted it to a 'chics dig it' van. While we were in there, way in the back amidst the dust, we came across some Clemson A&M and me thinks Clemson Tech stuff.

We thought about buying some of it for yuks, but we passed. We did our cost benefit analysis and decided beer was more of a priority. Most students at that time had very little discretionary spending. I still kick myself for not buying any of it. Sigh.

For anyone interested, he went with the classic " A Clemson Man Needs No Intorduction" with the Tiger tipping his top hat.

Sep 7, 2018, 9:44 AM

Forgot, also had some Clemson College stuff.

Re: CLEMSON UNIV was once named A&M & then College..

Sep 7, 2018, 9:26 AM

When I visited the library during my college days, many of the books were stamped with "A&M", or maybe Clemson College or something like that. We have a storied history.

We were big in textiles too (hence the Textile Bowl with NCSU(?)). I did not take any of those courses, but I think there were textile courses offered in the late 60's, early 70's. Hard to remember though. I seriously doubt that 'textiles' are even mentioned at CLEMSON these days. :)

Sep 7, 2018, 9:47 AM

Had a buddy studying textiles and he graduated in '77. Everyone called him lint head, he was not fond of it. lol

Sep 7, 2018, 9:43 AM

Clemson A & M stood for Agriculture and Military, just like aTm. All male school and all students were required to participate in ROTC. That even predates the "rat hats." Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Agricultural and Mechanical College

Sep 7, 2018, 10:41 AM

Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College also......

Ebay Clemson A & M Pennant

Sep 7, 2018, 10:54 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clemson-A-M-College-Pennant/152718281914?hash=item238eb80cba:g:TWQAAOSwB2RZymeh

Sep 7, 2018, 9:56 AM

Interesting post.

My older brother graduated in 1963 and his diploma says Clemson College. It's my understanding that 1963 was the only year we were known as Clemson College. 1962 we were still Clemson A&M and in 1964 we became Clemson University.

I'll stand corrected if someone else knows for certain...

GO TIGERS!!!!

Sep 7, 2018, 11:10 AM

You are correct. We became a university in 1964. My 1964 diploma says Clemson University and my ring was Clemson A and M. Mechanics not military!

Sep 7, 2018, 10:11 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think any of that is true

Sep 7, 2018, 10:14 AM

1893-1963 Clemson agricultural college
1964-present Clemson university

perhaps it was nicknamed A&M because it was a military school

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I don't think any of that is true

Sep 7, 2018, 10:16 AM

apatently you can put anything on a ring or a diplma

Sep 7, 2018, 10:22 AM

i too thought it had been A&M and Clemson College at one point . i went to look at the dates the name changed and nothing.

clemsons official website lists only clemson agricultural college and clemson university.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Anyone who actually attended Clemson would...

Sep 7, 2018, 10:26 AM

...have certainly went into or passed one of the buildings inscribed "Clemson A&M" in stone. Where'd you go to college?

bout 10 yrs ago I got a certificate and ring

Sep 7, 2018, 10:30 AM

saying I was the world's greatest dad. I put the certificate on my cubicle wall for every1 to see when they visited.none of that makes it true.

you're argument isn't with me..like I posted I went to clemson's website to check..go argue with them.

It's engraved in stone...

Sep 7, 2018, 10:36 AM

...if you happen to visit Clemson take a stroll and check out the various entrances on buildings...You'll find "Clemson College", you'll find "Clemson A&M", etc. But as you say...ANYONE can build a building and engrave in stone "Clemson A&M"...happens everyday, in fact I see one going up across from my house right now...SMH.

again. .go argue with

Sep 7, 2018, 11:22 AM

About | Clemson University, South Carolina
https://www.clemson.edu/about/

Re: Kiss the Ring

Sep 7, 2018, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think any of that is true ]

that is all.

Re: I don't think any of that is true

Sep 7, 2018, 11:11 AM [ in reply to I don't think any of that is true ]

It may be a ‘nickname’ but my ring has A and M!

Sep 7, 2018, 10:19 AM

Yes Sir. I had a relative that was Math Professor at Clemso

Sep 7, 2018, 10:37 AM

College in early 1900s. I've also had other relatives that were on the Board many moons ago. I won't drop names. I don't Buddybook or Instagram or Twitter. When I took Computer courses at CU I used Fortran cards. Calculators were basic. No square roots. I always laughed at people thinking Forestry graduates were trained to sit in fire towers. Now to graduate you have to pass Organic Chemistry. Almost as many hours as Chemical Engineering. We had to have 165 hours to graduate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes Sir. I had a relative that was Math Professor at Clemso

Sep 7, 2018, 11:19 AM

Very true. When I received my degree I had all the necessary classes and hours to attend medical school. Several of my classmates went directly to med school and two others entered law school. Their grades were a ‘little’ better than yours truly. For the record, I’ve never spent more than a few minutes in a fire tower! counting the rugged hours that I got in summer camp I ended up with almost 165 required hours.

Yes Sir.....

Sep 7, 2018, 1:27 PM

We had a 9 week 9 hour summer camp. My roommate for the first session of summer school took organic chemistry so he could devote all his time to pass it. He was Microbiology grad. I had Dr Schoenike, Dr Cool, Dr Shain Dr Lane, etc. Dr Skelton, Entomology, was one of my favorite professors. Dr Lane's son and my roommate would climb up the outside of a fire tower. lol. Of course one was 6'9" and the other 6'4" and maybe a little crazy. lol. D4 Rules.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forrest Tiger and I attended all three.

Sep 7, 2018, 11:32 AM

I think the class of 1964 was the last class whose rings said "Clemson A&M College." I don't know what the 1965 rings had on them, but pretty sure 1966 was the first to have "Clemson University"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic