Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
King Dixon, Former Gamecock AD
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

King Dixon, Former Gamecock AD

Oct 2, 2018, 8:32 PM

Saw King Dixon's name mentioned the other day and it reminded me of a comment he made when the Gamecocks were in their usual "fire the coach" mode during his tenure as AD. Believe it or not I can remember his exact words--- "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired". It's little things like that that define the Gamecock's one hundred plus years of pathetic football history.

Some of their fans even suggested their returning to the ACC. Frankly, we don't need any more cellar dweller types in the ACC. Their program is best suited with the Southern Conference where they could hang their pride on The Citadel.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe...Still bringing the HEAT!!!!!***

Oct 2, 2018, 8:43 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, I remember reading that quote.

Oct 2, 2018, 8:46 PM

Dad used to go by the newsstand in downtown Gastonia after church on Sundays and buy The State newspaper and Greenville News(0.25 for each's Sunday Edition) to read up on Clemson's game the day before.

I do remember reading that quote, but could not tell you when. In fact Dad kinda "adopted" that quote when we'd be on the golf course. I had a real temper then--I thought EVERY shot had to be perfect, or I'd slam my club in the ground, stomp around, or toss my club at the bag.

Dad would get his fill--quickly--and tell me he was sick and tired of being sick and tired of my acting like an A******...

Re: Dad always said

Oct 2, 2018, 8:50 PM

Most of their problems were because they were in Columbia with all the meddling politicians and other know-it-alls. Too many chiefs...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dad always said

Oct 2, 2018, 10:27 PM

Nothing's changed there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: King Dixon, Former Gamecock AD

Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 PM

They fit better in the ACC. And I’m not talking about the competition level and the over hyped SEC stuff that SEC fanboys love to talk about. They would have rivals again in the ACC. Currently I guess their SEC rival is Georgia. But, Georgia doesn’t return the affection, as Florida, Auburn, Tennessee and GT would all be far more important to them.

In the ACC, Scar would have 6 conference teams in a bordering state or in-state. In the SEC, they have one. Not advocating for it, but would make more sense for them assuming the ACC would accept them back.

#GeographyMatters

Oct 2, 2018, 9:56 PM

How bout a prisoner swap...us for them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely not.....

Oct 2, 2018, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: King Dixon, Former Gamecock AD ]

Many years ago, before the chickens dream came true and they were invited to join the SEC, they actually DID initiate the process for re-admittance to the ACC and got all the major chicken politicians in SC to browbeat and blackmail a reluctant CLemson into sponsoring them for re-admission. The only school other than Clemson to vote in favor of the chickens re-joining the ACC was Maryland (if I remember correctly). The motion was not passed, and I'm relatively certain it would be voted down again......A lot of folks forget how much bad blood there was between cheatin' Frank McGuire's basketballchickens and much of the rest of the conference when usuck withdrew in 1971

The chickens have maintained a toxic vitriol towards the ACC ever since. I don't think they'd even apply to re-join the ACC

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. One thing is certain: as long as UNC, NC State,

Oct 2, 2018, 10:52 PM

Duke, and more than likely, UVA and Wake remain, South Carolina would never be reaccepted.

And, frankly, there were a whole lot...and I mean, a whole lot of us Clemson folks that clamored for us to get the he1l out of the ACC when they slapped that extra year's probation on us in the 80's. Frank Howard didn't have much love for them either.

Additionally, since those days, I have considered that the expansion included two disreputable episodes: the near exclusion of VT and the actual exclusion of West Virginia, the latter being a distasteful case of effite snobbery largely emanating out of Chapel Hill and Durham.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Absolutely not.....

Oct 3, 2018, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Absolutely not..... ]

Their Board voted not to reapply to join the ACC after AD Jim Carlen met with them. Prior to meeting an informal poll by a reporter showed the board in favor. Carlen's arguement was being an independent, they got to keep all of the bowl and TV money. The reporter researched it and the previous year, 1975 iirc, they had gone to the Tangerine Bowl in Birmingham. Clemson did not go to a bowl but 6-7 ACC teams did and Clemson's take was more than SC. Also in BB WF got more revenue from ACC TV package than Notre Dame did as an independent back when they were very good.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

King Dixon & Frank Howard

Oct 2, 2018, 10:28 PM

I had a chance to talk to King Dixon many years back. When he found out that I grew up in Clemson as a kid during the Frank Howard era, we traded some stories about Coach Howard. Dixon had some great ones.
Evidently they were still pretty good friends even after Carolina had left the ACC.

During our conversation, Dixon said that he had asked Coach Howard what the possibility might be if Carolina could get back into the ACC. He said that Coach Howard had said that Clemson would vote for Carolina to come back in, but that the North Carolina schools and Maryland would never go for it.

And so went Chicken Little.

Oct 2, 2018, 10:29 PM

Great Read Brother!!!!!!!

Oct 2, 2018, 10:29 PM

Great Read Brother!!!!!!!

Oct 2, 2018, 11:20 PM

Wasn't Dixon the same idiot that turned down the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour, and then had to top it with a comment to he effect "We can't have rock concerts in Billie Brice, what would be next, tractor pulls?"

So the Stones came to Clemson. That year, after the concert at Clemson had been set up, we massacred them 45-0 at the Billie. When it got out of hand in the 4th quarter the Tiger did a great Mick Jagger strut, fist on hip and all.

Great concert! After playing "Start Me Up!" Mick said he wanted to welcome everyone to the concert "even the ones from COLUUMMBIAA!"

They still can't do anything right, it is amazing.

Oct 2, 2018, 11:58 PM

Also, for you whippersnappers whe weren't around, with the possible exception of Maryland, only Clemson and Scar were historically football centric schools. Scar left the conference in the early 70s in part because of the tobacco road schools, particularly UNcheat, who had set the rules of the conference to require relatively high academic standards such that ACC could not compete with the Alabamas, Oklahomas and real USCs of the world. Clemson hated it almost as much as the chickens, but was willing to choke it down for the time being.

But the second factor was that McGuire had recently come to Scar and built as close to a real program in Bball as they have had. He recruited New York Irish toughs like Roche and Owens and Riker and they played a bruising style of basketball, and not only that UNC really resented McQuire for leaving UNC. There were a bitter couple of years with a bunch of fights breaking out, one game in Columbia Scar enforcer Ribock cold cocked Coach Driesel as Driesel tried to break up a fight. He famously hosted his coach's show with a big shiner, comlaining bitterly. It created some of the sentiment at Scar to get out of the ACC that was being so mean to them, although Scar contributed more than its share of the thuggery. McGuire at the time went along with the exit, though he later admitted that he knew that leaving the conference would diminish Scar's prospects in Bball.

Tobacco road finally had to relax requirements when it had to do so to attract enough good Bball players too. And Clemson benefitted in both sports, since it was hard to attract good basketball players who were also strong academic types to little Clemson. So long and short, the years Scar flopped around as an independent, then later joined the SEC did not change Clemson's football dominance. And while Scar had some high water years in Bball, it never again had consensus top five pre-season rankings. And from year to year Clemson now usually has the better Bball team for about the past 40 years.

Oct 3, 2018, 8:15 AM

At the time SC was considering reapplying a couple of frirnds and I went to see Horace Wyatt play in high school, knowing Clemson was recruiting him. We ran into Lefty Drissell at the game and asked him about SC applying. His comment, " H3ll, they can have our spot!"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2018, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Re: King Dixon, Former Gamecock AD ]

One of my biggest regrets in life is not making it to that show...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2018, 11:27 PM

I first met King Dixon when I was a camper at Camp Greenville and he was a counselor there, along with Morris (Moose) Keller who played at Clemson. I later ran into him when he was a Major in the Marine Corps and I was a Second Lt. at the Basic School in Quantico. He was an instructor and one tough dude. During his playing days he was about 5'9 and 165 pounds and a heck of a running back. I'll always consider him a friend and a great man ...... although not so successful as an AD at USCjr. The fact that they can't stand him there makes me like him even more!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didn't he train D. Radocock?***

Oct 3, 2018, 7:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 3, 2018, 8:42 AM

I see King quite often. He is such a wonderfully positive person. Still very active in the Laurens Community. He is definitely one of the good guys.

Was he part of the Texas 7 prison escape?

Oct 3, 2018, 8:46 AM

https://youtu.be/B5UIs9M0wXI

At the 1:22 mark, the ring leader Geoge Rivas says the exact quote.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic