Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kendrick..Freshman punt receiver, ball in wrong hand going to sidelines..WHY Playing Him?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Kendrick..Freshman punt receiver, ball in wrong hand going to sidelines..WHY Playing Him?

Dec 30, 2018, 8:40 PM

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kendrick..Freshman punt receiver, ball in wrong hand going to sidelines..WHY Playing Him?

Dec 30, 2018, 8:42 PM

He has been solid and it wasn't a turnover. He is a true freshman and he is going to be a beast. Give the kid a break.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kendrick..Freshman punt receiver, ball in wrong hand going to sidelines..WHY Playing Him?

Dec 31, 2018, 12:20 AM

+1

I'll add that he's earned it, and the coaches trust him. Otherwise they wouldn't play him. Part of our culture is to prepare for each game the same way regardless of the opponent, and to treat each game like it's the biggest game of the year, regardless of the stakes. The coaches have also said every player must be prepared when he's called on. How could the coaches emphasize these things throughout the year, and then not play certain players because it's a playoff game? That would be a contradiction.

It's also sends a message to the other young players and recruits that you can play as a young player when the game is on the line, if you work hard and earn it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 30, 2018, 8:48 PM

Pretty sure Elliot teaches them NOT to switch sides they are carrying the ball when in traffic. At least that what he said when he spoke at their coaches clinic.

WHY?

Dec 30, 2018, 8:48 PM

We must prepare for the future. Even if it had have been a turnover we'd still have won. If he hadn't fumbled in a big game he wouldn't have known the misery of failure. This will bear on the boy's focus every time he tucks the ball away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHY? Cornell Powell's Injury . . .

Dec 30, 2018, 8:54 PM

When Cornell was injured, Derion took over as our KO return man and has served us well, nearly breaking several.

Cornell's injury recooperation took so long, he decided to red shirt and is no longer available to us this season w/out burning a year of eligibility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^Boom^***

Dec 30, 2018, 8:55 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WHY? Cornell Powell's Injury . . .

Dec 30, 2018, 9:01 PM [ in reply to WHY? Cornell Powell's Injury . . . ]

Oops - just now read your post on Powell before making my comment below. Thanks for that clarification on Powell.

Dec 30, 2018, 8:54 PM

For starters, that ball should never of left the end zone. Poor choice.

He is still a freshman and will benefit from playing

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you have a problem with prepositions Bill?***

Dec 30, 2018, 8:57 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2018, 8:59 PM

Actually, Kendrick is my #1 choice for KO returns. The guy is very elusive and most times makes something out of almost nothing. I like Kendrick for that role, and hope the coaches continue to keep him doing that for a while. JMO though.

At one time, I thought we had another guy (Cornell Powell?) that was very good doing that, but I never really saw that happen. Dunno why.

Dec 30, 2018, 9:07 PM

Thanks, that’s who I was thinking about too. And actually with our weapons, I like the fair catch unless we’re down and need a score or need good yardage for clock mgmt.

It’s just so rare anymore to see any team go beyond the 30 yrd line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2018, 9:02 PM

Switching hands is no longer what is taught. Want to carry it with strongest arm. You are right in that there would probably have not been a fumble if it was Carried with right arm. Stuff happens-unfortunately. He will likely NOT make that mistake again

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2018, 9:03 PM

You can argue what may or may not have happened had it been a t o till the cows come home but I have to agree with lbb on this one.

Against ferman or ga south, coots etc is one thing. Also with big leads but imo our best known ball security player should be attempting one. Main reason being fortunately is we don’t have a big sample size.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in a room full of former D1 players and 1 former NFL’er

Dec 30, 2018, 9:09 PM

and we were all screaming at the TV that same question. “WHY IS A FRESHMAN FIELDING PUNTS IN THE TYPE OF GAME?!” The Pumpers will defend it, but trust me, those who played the game didn’t even understand it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: I was in a room full of former D1 players and 1 former NFL’er

Dec 30, 2018, 9:12 PM

LOL, Clemson has been playing freshmen in key positions at key times since Dabo took over. I trust him more than I trust you. ;)

Punts?

Dec 30, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to I was in a room full of former D1 players and 1 former NFL’er ]

Amari was fielding punts and he is not a freshman. It’s like the above poster said Dabo has always played freshmen in key positions. Hopefully you and your friends weren’t complaining when Sammy Watkins was returning kicks as a true freshman. While I agree that DK should’ve taken a knee things happen. No player is perfect.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who did all the experts want to be returning

Dec 30, 2018, 9:28 PM [ in reply to I was in a room full of former D1 players and 1 former NFL’er ]

since DK was clearly the best all year and pretty much the only returner since CP went out?

Where they also pizzzed that we had a Freshman QB throwing to Freshman Receivers?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who did all the experts want to be returning

Dec 30, 2018, 10:39 PM

Yeah , good point . What about playing a freshman QB in a game like that ?

Ask those former D1's .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't have a real threat there and it's are clear place

Dec 30, 2018, 9:18 PM

where we can use Kendrick's skills on kickoff returns. We are not using him on punts, where we go with Rodgers or Renfrow.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, For Goodness Sakes

Dec 30, 2018, 9:23 PM

I feel like Dabo after the Coots game. Never happy.

Re: We don't have a real threat there and it's are clear place

Dec 30, 2018, 9:29 PM [ in reply to We don't have a real threat there and it's are clear place ]

It's a different situation, punts and kick offs. Punts are not returned that much and the key is to have someone with sure hands catch the punt.

Dec 30, 2018, 9:37 PM

Easy to be mad at the kid because he made a mistake. I certainly was.

Bottom line is, though, Kendrick's massively talented, will be a starting (or at least contributing) 2-man and a returner for the next 2+ years for us. Like all young guys, you've gotta throw him in - in big moments - and live with his mistakes.

Tee Higgins was busy making those kind of mistakes last year, you may remember. Like Kendrick, he had his moments, flashed some talent...and dropped some balls. Some of them big. This year it was Higgins' amazing one-handed grab in the back of the end zone that ended up breaking Notre Dame's back.

Anybody who's ever watched Kendrick knows he's got plenty of those kind of plays in him as well. But like all young dudes - especially ones who are converting from a high school QB - there's going to be a learning curve.

You deal with it...and you play the kid. The net result is that massive edge in depth that just buried Notre Dame. It was kind of a case study in depth management, actually. When we had to dip to our bench, our 2's and 3's kept right on dominating because they had played significant snaps all year long. When forced to their bench, Notre Dame's 2's died ugly.

But then, we play our young guys and backups. All year long.

Because it’s better than playing LBB***

Dec 30, 2018, 9:46 PM

Re: Because it’s better than playing LBB***

Dec 30, 2018, 9:56 PM

Nah, ?? I tRust LBB with me liFe.

^ Thx, i “LiGHT” U.

Dec 30, 2018, 10:12 PM

As in Like!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better question.....

Dec 30, 2018, 10:25 PM

Why did we not have mandatory instructions to fair catch it that early in the game if the kick is inside the 5 yard line? Later in the game if you're behind and need points or a spark, OK. I've watched a lot of football this season and I'll bet 85-90% of kicks that deep are fair caught. The outcome on the ones that are returned is usually not good- rarely seem to get back to the 20 yard line, much less the 25.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Better question.....

Dec 30, 2018, 11:44 PM

Exactly. +1.

This poast subject line reads like a Trump tweet...***

Dec 31, 2018, 12:29 AM

he played well in the SC and Pitt games

Dec 31, 2018, 1:03 AM

He was starting to emerge as a dangerous weapon. Some people said he would be the breakout player of the playoff for us.

Dec 31, 2018, 1:15 AM

I'd imagine he's earned some reps from practice performance! DABO develops depth and shows confidence in his guys better than most

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic