Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Danny... Hatfield... Drama...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Danny... Hatfield... Drama...

Nov 2, 2018, 1:34 PM

YouTube... Watch some analog history... When Danny was fired, it was close to a riot when Hatfield and Missus Hatfield strolled between the North stands and The Cemetary...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ken Hatfield was a good and decent man. He,

Nov 2, 2018, 1:41 PM

unfortunately, was kind of like our second President, John Adams, who had to follow in the footsteps of George Washington.

Hatfield, I think, liked Clemson, but the fan base was bent upon rendering asunder any replacement for Danny Ford. Frankly, in retrospect the entire episode was an embarrassment to Clemson and those of us alumni and fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ken Hatfield was a good and decent man. He,

Nov 2, 2018, 1:47 PM

It was all of that and then some...but like all history, if it is not recorded correctly, then it is a lie... I am glad that Danny was able to weather the storm and remain among us and continue to be a part of us...even after a quarter century...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Ken Hatfield was a good and decent man. He, ]

I totally agree. Then we fired him after we went 8-3. Not a bad record. But shows he was not really liked. I think he lived in the Electric City instead of living in Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not exactly correct.

Nov 2, 2018, 3:29 PM

His contract was not extended after the 5-6 season in 1992. In 1993, he went 8-3, but again his contract was not extended. He knew he had no support in the athletic department and very little support among the fan base. Given this reality, he resigned.

57-0 a loss to wake and a bunch of close wins

Nov 2, 2018, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Ken Hatfield was a good and decent man. He, ]

To average teams

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2018, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Ken Hatfield was a good and decent man. He, ]

That's the way I remember it . Hatfield was never gonna be accepted ... and I doubt anyone else would have either .

DB23

Re: Danny... Hatfield... Drama...

Nov 2, 2018, 1:48 PM

Max Lennon and Bobby Robinson set Clemson on a path to wander in desert for 18 years when they fired Coach Ford and hired Hatfield. :(

Dabo finally led us out of the desert on to the promised land. :)

Re: Danny... Hatfield... Drama... Next came West

Nov 2, 2018, 1:55 PM

in a feeble attempt to appease the Danny fans. The 15 ACC Championships sign at Doak annoys me to no end because what Clemson went through in the 90's was largely self inflicted. We just continually shot ourselves in the foot and rolled over to make way for FSU. It was a sickening era for our football

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are on target, my Friend. Frankly, I considered

Nov 2, 2018, 2:31 PM

the beginning of our "wussification" years to be our passive response to the additional year's probation levied by the ACC in the 80's.

There were a number of us alumni that wanted Clemson to announce we would abide by the extra penalty, followed by our prompt withdrawal from the conference.

Re: You are on target, my Friend. Frankly, I considered

Nov 2, 2018, 3:59 PM

I never will for get the sing a long with Tiger Band. "I'll be home for Christmas, no bowl bid this year." And the last line "I'll be home for Christmas, singing screw the ACC."

I sang as loud as I could.

Re: You are on target, my Friend. Frankly, I considered

Nov 3, 2018, 12:04 AM [ in reply to You are on target, my Friend. Frankly, I considered ]

You nailed it, and I still feel that way! Screw the ACC !

:)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What made the Hatfield hire even tougher

Nov 2, 2018, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny... Hatfield... Drama... ]

Was the Clemson team coming off the Gator Bowl win versus Major Harris and WVA appeared to be as talented as the
‘81-83 squads. It appeared Ford had rebuilt the team from probation years. Then Hatfield came in and never had the respect of the team. UVA then beats Clemson for 1st time in 30-some years and Cal-Berk beats Tigers by 30 in Citrus Bowl. I rarely missed a bowl in those days. All that said, it’s great to be back and stronger than ever. Props to Dabo for superior recruiting and coaching hires!

Nov 2, 2018, 2:09 PM

The only thing that I want from Hatfield is for him to sit quietly in the selection committee room as Clemson goes to the Playoffs for of his three years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That situation was awful all the way around.

Nov 2, 2018, 2:21 PM

A bunch of people acting like children, with everyone wanting their way and pouting about it if they didn't get it. Everyone was to blame for it going so poorly. I'm just glad that is in the remote past now, and we are in such a great place with our football program, athletic department, and university.

As Hatfield said at his introductory press conference, time heals all wounds. He had no idea just how long that process would take.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: That situation was awful all the way around.

Nov 2, 2018, 2:30 PM

Agreed.

Nov 2, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to That situation was awful all the way around. ]

He was just like Hootie. No offensive identity. Play to not lose. I hate coaches like that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 4:37 PM [ in reply to That situation was awful all the way around. ]

It took TDP, Dabo and the President and BOT to bring our fan base back together. There was two sides it was fractured. Moving forward we should all remember what our University, players and fans went through to ensure it never happens again. Because of our football program the University is expanding, replacing old buildings, building better athletic facilities fir all sports. The town of Clemson is changing before our eyes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 2, 2018, 3:17 PM

He was hired to inflict more punishment on the fan base and program in lieu of more actual probation. It had the same effect. He took the talent level of that roster from Top 10 to bottom 40 after his tenure because who wanted to come play for him? Administration was happy as could be with what became of the football program. It’s good to reflect on the past so you don’t become jaded with the current success.

When Max Lennon

Nov 2, 2018, 3:47 PM

Enacted his 'programs', and the athletic department was 'Robinsoned'...I stepped away from IPTAY and largely stopped following Clemson for a few years. Pure, abject disgust with the school would be an understatement. And, yes...Tommy West was an appeasement hire that served only to dig the hole deeper.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was downtown that night...

Nov 2, 2018, 4:02 PM

at TD's. There was real discussion of marching over to Marx Lenin's house and throwing rocks through the windows. People were VERY upset about Danny. With good reason.

Ken Hatfield was a disastrous hire from the beginning. He took a very talented team and ran it in the ground in just a few short years. The ACC of his final season was weaker than it is this year. Hatfield left the cupboard bare for yet another disastrous hire. People didn't like him because he was an abject failure at his job.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was downtown that night...

Nov 2, 2018, 4:20 PM

Hatfield was not wanted at his Alma Mater but Bobby R. got him hired. He only won the Maryland game that year of 1990 because the terp couch was stupid and accepted a five yard penalty to let us replay 3rd down. Even Jim Phillips said it was stupid. We converted and scored to go ahead.

Ken blew the Ga. Tech game by not taking points on two forth and goal attempts and then asked our kicker to try to when the game with a 60 yard field goal.

He took a potentially great team and ran the wheels off of it. Those of ou that were there do not enen want to hear his name again. Between him and the Charleston Shipyard closing, those years really created a vacuum.

Nov 3, 2018, 12:16 AM

WOW, I gotta give it to ya! You really nailed that one, whew! Just to think, one of the biggest reasons the Naval Shipyard closed was that the State and the City of Charleston refused to work with the Feds and split the cost of digging the channel(s) deeper so we could bring our Subs in for loading and maintenance. I see similarities in both of these, at first sight, very dissimilar events... Hindsight, whew! All of the lost jobs - the list opportunities. I worked at SPAWAR 10 years+ and no one understood...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 4:20 PM [ in reply to I was downtown that night... ]

There's history you are leaving out of this discussion. There were ITPAY members and Danny Ford supporters who were sabotaging the recruiting at Clemson while Ken Hatfield was there in hopes that the college would be forced to rehire Danny.
People hated Ken and Sandy Hatfield the day he walked on campus, he had no chance to succeed with so called Clemson supporters going to recruits and telling them that they didn't want to go to Clemson.
It wasn't Hatfield that should have been run off, it is those so called Clemson fans who drove our program in the dirt by their selfish actions.

Nov 2, 2018, 4:34 PM

Yea, there was a lot of that. Bobby Johnson was our DC during that time and he told me at an IPTAY meeting that Clemson fans were their biggest recruiting issue. He specifically mentioned Kenya Crooks and said Clemson people were telling him not to go to CU. There was lot's of blame to go around in that era. One man though, Frank Howard, stood up and acted like a Clemson gentleman the night they introduced Hatfield...told people to get behind our football coach.

When Hatefailed used up all Danny's recruits...

Nov 2, 2018, 4:41 PM

...the ship sank fast with Hatefailed's inferior recruits. Apologies for any former Hatefailed players....this is not directed at you.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When Hatefailed used up all Danny's recruits...

Nov 2, 2018, 10:38 PM

Funny how Hatfield would be beating a team by running the football down their throats and then decide to throw three straight passes. We would punt and the other team received their reprieve. This happened more than once, so do not tell me that Hatfield was not the problem. Well he had help from Bobby, the AD. There was the south end of a north bound mule.

Nov 3, 2018, 12:32 AM

I agree he was a decent man and a pretty good coach, but it was not all one sided. He was a dedicated Christian which is fine, but at Arky he was quoting scripture on the coach's show. Did not go over here. Also he did not foster a relationship with Clemson as a community and his wife apparently openly disdained community involvement. That is half the battle. I am sorry it went sour for everyone involved. He really should have won the ACC the very next year 1990, and could have played for the championship but lost to UVA and Tech. He won one ACC championhip and beat the crap out if a bad UGA team in the Valley, but wore his welcome out.

Nov 3, 2018, 2:48 AM

We want to lay blame at everybody but those who help leads in the post Ford years.

First the fans never gave Ken Hatfield a chance. Maybe per this post the players did not give Coach Hatfield the respect he deserved because of the way he was treated by the fans. Hatfield did not run the program in the ground. But Tommy West sure did in later years he admitted that he was in over his head as the HC at Clemson.

Hatfield’s record at Arkansas was pretty equal to DF’s record at Clemson.

There is plenty of blame to go around during the late 80’s and 90’s. Let’s not continue continue to live in the past when we are having the best years in Clemson Football History. Just be thankful you are not a coot fan.

Hatfield was the right man at the time and the problems our football program was going through. Now let go of the past and move forward by living in the mown and the future Dabo and Company.

We are an elite team with another NC “2016”

Go Tigers as we go forward!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic