Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly Bryant can (and would) lead us to a 12-1 season...won't win it all
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Kelly Bryant can (and would) lead us to a 12-1 season...won't win it all

Mar 30, 2018, 1:38 PM

He's dangerous in that way. Due to our overall talent level and his ability to run it up the middle, we will continue to crush the scrubs on our schedule. But, his inability to throw the ball with adeuate accuracy means we will see a Sugar Bowl repeat when we play a top defense in the semis/NCG. He won't beat Bama and he won't come close.

This is the worry. Dabo is blinded by the beatdown of the Wakes of the world and might not see the bigger picture. It's better to start Hunter/Trevor even if they undergo some early struggles because they have the potential to hoist the trophy. KB does not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly Bryant can (and would) lead us to a 12-1 season...won't win it all

Mar 30, 2018, 1:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Couldn't say it any better...***

Mar 30, 2018, 4:33 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you fart feathers?Asking for a friend***

Mar 30, 2018, 1:43 PM

Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB?

Mar 30, 2018, 1:58 PM

We get it. You don't think KB can 'win the big one.' But, do you need to comment on every thread with your position?

Does Dabo know about your opinion on who should be the starting QB? I'm only guessing here, but you must be George Whitfield trying to post anonymously. Only a QB guru could offer such stunning insights on players that you've never seen throw a football in college, much less read a defense and audible into an improved play.

KB got much better as the year progressed in 2017. That Bama game cannot be blamed on KB. Tom Brady couldn't have saved Clemson's offense. Bama's D-Line was on fire and unblockable, especially against our RT tandem. The play calling was a bit suspect at times, but there's not much you can do when the defense smothers your QB 1 second after the ball is snapped.

Here's what I'm saying, George... Trust the coaches to make the best decision for the team. They've proven they know what they're doing. In the meantime, you should call up Coach Streeter with your insights. Thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB?

Mar 30, 2018, 2:10 PM

No I'm actually just a fan who doesn't want to feel the internal pain of knowing next year's loaded roster will fail to fulfill it's potential due to an entirely predictable and obvious QB problem that could be immediately rectified.

Mar 30, 2018, 2:17 PM

Bam!

You should probably quit being a fan if you

Mar 30, 2018, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB? ]

...can't handle being disappointed when things don't go the way you want.

You obviously care and want somebody that matters to listen to your suggestions, so may I suggest the following:

1) Get hired by Dabo as a coach.

Since your only other option is to be disappointed as a fan, I recommend you get cracking on that resume.

Your welcome.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re quite the jealous coot.

Mar 30, 2018, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB? ]

USuCk has never had a team even close to being as good as the one KB led to the playoffs last year. Internal pain? I know that’s what you want us to feel since you are so accustomed to it as a coot fan. You’re hilarious. Feel free to post anytime so I can get a good laugh from what you come up with in that feathered head of yours.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"No I'm actually just a fan" you keep saying that.. i dont

Mar 31, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB? ]

think that means what you think it means

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mar 31, 2018, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB? ]

Did you watch our offense against auburn or Syracuse last year when kB didn’t play? We couldn’t get a first down. I’m thankful for kB.

Mar 30, 2018, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Are you getting paid for the campaign against KB? ]

The biggest problems with our offense in the Sugar Bowl was Bama's d-line was playing lights out and we couldn't stop them, and a couple of tipped passes that fell right in the hands of Bama defenders.

As far as what we were missing, we didn't have big boundary receiver like Mike Williams to get those jump balls, a receiving TE like Jordan Leggett, or a back who could pick up the pass rush like Wayne Gallman. We lost a lot more than DW on offense.

Mar 30, 2018, 2:00 PM

This is exactly how I feel. Imagine setting a limit on another season with a Stoudt defense. Would hate to see all our d lineman come back just for the same result because of kb

Tell 'em coot

Mar 30, 2018, 2:01 PM

Re: Tell 'em coot

Mar 30, 2018, 2:12 PM

Back to the trailer park. Those of us who went to Clemson actually acknowledge intelligent arguments and don't resort to throwing tomatoes at dissenting views.

Mar 30, 2018, 2:12 PM

You’re the man!!!

Mar 30, 2018, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell 'em coot ]

You want to know something funny? For the most part the smartest fans in Tigernet are the ones with low pulses like you and me. The pumpers can’t stand it when low pulse or new guys come on here and dominate them in arguments. They get there thumbs going with td’s to Lower your pulse and get u kicked off so they don’t have to deal with the embarrassment of not knowing anything sports related. Just look at Ridgeland Booster. He doesn’t even know what a balk is in baseball lol

Mar 30, 2018, 3:50 PM

Most sports fans don't understand the complete rules of a balk bc there is so many things that a pitcher can't do once he has committed to deliver a pitch to the plate. So most baseball fans don't understand the balk rules, and I wouldn't go so far as to call them a sports dummy!!! But we could say that you made a poor selection of baseball rules to make your point!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember that argument LOL. If they don't know...

Mar 30, 2018, 3:58 PM

it doesn't make them dumb. What's gets annoying is when people who don't know continue to argue knowing they're not versed in the matter. Stupid people that don't know they're stupid is where the line is drawn.

Smartest fans... there thumbs?

Mar 30, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell 'em coot ]

There you go.

Mar 30, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em coot ]

Copy paste yet again

I can personally vouch that DK is not a Coot.

Mar 30, 2018, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Tell 'em coot ]

It's his opinion on the matter.

90-17

Mar 30, 2018, 2:00 PM

This is a fact, we need a gunslinger to match Tua***

Mar 30, 2018, 2:02 PM

Re: This is a fact, we need a gunslinger to match Tua***

Mar 30, 2018, 2:13 PM

And we have 2 great ones. How fortunate. Let's hope Dabo's stubbornness doesn't prevent us from taking advantage.

Re: This is a fact, we need a gunslinger to match Tua***

Mar 31, 2018, 12:21 AM

People on the anti KB train like to talk about Dabo's "stubbornness". Then you talk about 2014 with Deshaun and Cole. Forget that Deshaun didn't know the playbook and they had to reduce it for him. We opened on the road @ UGA, played an FCS team, and by week 4 (game 3) Deshaun had learned the playbook a little more and took over once he was ready. There wasn't anything stubborn about that.

Then you talk about last year with Etienne, Feaster, Fuller. Look at all the games where our RBs didnt pick up the blitz. Fuller was the starter at the beginning of the season because he knew the playbook.

Dabo is just smarter than your crowd, im sure he'd thank you for your input though.

Mar 30, 2018, 2:09 PM

I agree with some of what you say, but I do not believe that Dabo is blinded by our schedule wins. I think that Dabo tends to go with most experienced bc experience usually makes less mistakes. His reasons for not going with the less experience more talented player early in the season to have that experience at the end of the season, I don't have an answer for that. I am hoping that he will play our most talented QB most of the game in the games we should win against just to have that most talented QB ready with a lot of good game experience for if and when KB falters like he did in the Bama game. He did falter regardless of what some will say it was bc of the O Line. Our O line last year was suppose to have been more experience and talented than the O line that DW4 won a NCG with. So personally, I pray that Dabo and Streeter will have one of those very talented QBs that we have killing time, ready and waiting if KB fails our offense and our receivers again!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2018, 2:17 PM

Not to mention, regardless of the culpability of our OL, we should expect the same performance from them if we play Bama again. Bama has an insane DL and they will dominate almost any OL. You have to beat that. Deshaun did because he can throw that DL off balance with his dual threat abilities. KB can't because everyone knows his throwing ability is akin to a mid-tier CUSA QB. He can't hit a deep ball for his life and thus the defense can completely ignore top coverage.

Mar 30, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant can (and would) lead us to a 12-1 season...won't win it all ]

Not to mention, regardless of the culpability of our OL, we should expect the same performance from them if we play Bama again. Bama has an insane DL and they will dominate almost any OL. You have to beat that. Deshaun did because he can throw that DL off balance with his dual threat abilities. KB can't because everyone knows his throwing ability is akin to a mid-tier CUSA QB. He can't hit a deep ball for his life and thus the defense can completely ignore top coverage.

Completely Agree

Mar 30, 2018, 2:10 PM

And anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant to the talent we have competing at QB for the starting spot.

Re: Completely Agree

Mar 30, 2018, 2:28 PM

If KB has gotten his game arm fixed to where he can zip the ball into the down field receivers hands at least 70% of the time bc 7 out of 10 ain't bad, I would be very OK with him leading our Tigers in every game. Just have a back that is also ready to come in ready to win it all also. And I do believe that is all that 90% of Tiger fans want also. Good fans don't won't Dabo to throw out what is working at a high level for a player that was a HS hero. What we want is a Back Up ready with game experience to come and take over that can play as well as any QB in the country. That's not to much to ask for with the QB talent we have watching from the side lines that is capable of playing for any team in the country if he has been prepared!!!!

Agreed...

Mar 30, 2018, 2:18 PM

It's Dabo's lack of vision that will keep him from ever winning a national championship, IMHO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Agreed...

Mar 30, 2018, 2:18 PM

Hahaha fm you’re something else

Re: Agreed...

Mar 30, 2018, 2:35 PM

The reason that I agree with the premise in the thread, i.e. we'll be 12-1 and not win the big game is because with Bryant, our offense is not being run as it was intended. Before Bryant, we ran an up tempo spread, which spread the ball all over the field to talented receivers. Last year, most of our receivers stats were much lower (except Renfrow), and the 9 receivers were especially a disappointment. Our coaching staff got comfortable with the more conservative offense, because our defense was excellent, but our failure to be able to execute the fast tempo spread was dramatically different than in the previously 2 years against Alabama. Their defense did not fear the downfield passing from Bryant, they dared us to do it by bringing pressure every play, and Bryant could not make plays, make the right read or adjust. I am aware that a quarterback cannot pass from his rear end, but multiple times, Bryant did his spin move outside and backwards, rather than stepping up into the pocket. All that being said there is a lot to like about Bryant, but our staff should develop the second best quarterback as much as possible during the season and be ready to adjust on the fly if Bryant does not progress significantly beyond where he was last season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tempo

Mar 31, 2018, 9:32 AM

We revere DW4 for his skill, his decision-making, and because he won the big one. But, we didn't overwhelm 'Bama in 2016. We wore them out with tempo. We wore them out with tempo in 2015, and Saban admitted as much. His decision to go for an on-sides kick was not shrewd. It was desperate. He knew that he could not stop the Tiger offense and would lose if they gave the ball back to us.

We need a QB who can pass well, stretch the field, make good decisions, AND play with tempo. KB did well last year. He not only needs to improve his downfield passing game, but also needs to pick up the tempo. It will be hard for any of our inexperienced QBs to step in and be better than KB in all of these areas. My guess - as a novice - is that KB remains our best option.

Also, 2017 was a banner year. It would have been great to win it all, but we finished in the top 4. Guys, don't act like FSU fans who think that they should win every game just because they are FSU. To be considered a Top 5 or a Top 10 team is an extraordinary honor. I am proud of our Tigers.

Hard to believe he said the best was yet to come...

Mar 30, 2018, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Agreed... ]

before naming KB2 the starter.

I bet Dabo'd like a do over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

man, please email to Dabo

Mar 30, 2018, 2:38 PM

because I think Dabo could learn something from you. Your years of internetery and youtubery has made you an omnipotent knower of all things football!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Why do we think Dabo doesn't get it?

Mar 30, 2018, 3:55 PM

We haven't had the Spring Game yet and we expected our returning starter to have lost his job already? All will work out in the end. I think our coaching staff knows that we need to stretch the field to win another Natty.

Re: Why do we think Dabo doesn't get it?

Mar 31, 2018, 1:21 AM

That's the hope brother, I'm just nervous the right move might not happen due to the seniority stubbornness and/or results bias. (Bryant's record last year was due to the overall team talent, not his personal domination)

Mostly just how Stoudt/Watson was handled.

Mar 31, 2018, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Why do we think Dabo doesn't get it? ]

He waited until we had lost two games, at least one of which was very winnable, to make the switch. Wasting this defense in a similar manner would be a travesty.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could agree with you...

Mar 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

but then we'd both be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What's he wrong about?***

Mar 30, 2018, 4:00 PM

Everything.***

Mar 30, 2018, 5:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but what facts...

Mar 30, 2018, 5:48 PM

does anyone have to say he is wrong? At least with the first paragraph of his post.

You are creating more KB supporters with your posts.***

Mar 30, 2018, 4:30 PM

IN ORDER TO BE THE MAN....

Mar 30, 2018, 4:37 PM

YOU GOTTA' BEAT THE MAN.

KB took us to an ACC championship win and a Natty play-off game. HJ or TL will have to kids his butt to change his QB status...as it should be.

Give KB his props...he earned it .

Dabo learned his lesson from the Cole debacle....I'm sure of it .

Re: IN ORDER TO BE THE MAN....

Mar 31, 2018, 1:22 AM

No our defense and raw offensive talent took us to the ACC title and the Playoffs. Cole would have done the same with that roster.

bemoretiger and lesscoot...***

Mar 31, 2018, 9:54 AM

It wasn't just the wakes of the world,

Mar 30, 2018, 4:46 PM

Those top 20 teams we beat played a big part in fooling us into thinking we had a good team, too.

Is the question

Mar 30, 2018, 6:14 PM

win the next game?
win the conference?
win every game?
win the last game?
win the National Championship?

Different QBs may be needed to answer each question.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Is the question

Mar 31, 2018, 1:23 AM

After winning it all 2 years ago, the question is now always the last of these. You increase your odds to win it all even if that hurts your odds in those other departments. And that's why Bryant can't start.

KB has a limit, I agree.

Mar 30, 2018, 9:56 PM

He throws the ball well. He runs the ball well and he can hand the ball off to an RB as good as anyone. His problem isn't the fundamentals or basics, his problem is knowing which to do when a defense shifts once or twice. He's just not that good at options.

That limits our play calling but none of that really matters to me. He's certainly talented enough to get us to the playoff and I can live with that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB has a limit, I agree.

Mar 31, 2018, 1:25 AM

One qualifier- he doesn't throw is well down field. Our down field passing game was completely irrelevant last year and that's an absolute killer when playing the top defenses.

Re: KB has a limit, I agree.

Mar 31, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to KB has a limit, I agree. ]

Not this year. I could live with it last year. But if we limit another season with this defense it’ll be for nothing. All the dline man would’ve come back just to risk injury and lose in the playoff. Idc what anybody thinks. Look what the coaches have said about Lawrence. He won’t start game 1 but he will eventually take over in the same way Watson was going to his freshmen year

I think the question is, what is KB's limit?

Mar 31, 2018, 2:43 PM [ in reply to KB has a limit, I agree. ]

I believe he is capable of improving his downfield passing. I don't understand why some people here feel that Lawrence and Johnson have unfulfilled potential, but KB doesn't.

I don't think KB has the potential that Lawrence and Johnson do, especially as it relates to passing downfield, but I might be wrong. What if KB improves his passing significantly, maybe not to a level of Deshaun or Tajh, but good enough to hit the medium-range and deep passes with a lot more regularity? That, combined with his experience and threat to run, might land him the starting job.

Then again, it might not. I don't think we should be happy going with a QB who isn't capable of beating a team like Alabama, but then again, who's to say that Lawrence and Johnson are good enough to do that? They might not turn out to be good enough to beat Bama either. More importantly, is our OL good enough to beat Bama?

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The national championship winning coach is blinded

Mar 31, 2018, 9:55 AM

but you, Mr. Internet Know-it-all, see it all so clearly. Gotcha chief.

If Tigerdrafted and bs morestiger had a baby it would be

Mar 31, 2018, 10:26 AM

still a double cooter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2018, 11:29 AM

I don’t understand why people can not grasp this. KB is just too limited as a passer. The man threw 9 TDs in 12 games against Power 5 opponents. Those are Georgia Tech type numbers. And we all thought that he would be a better runner too. We all thought he was going a 1,000 yards rusher. So, he’s a worse runner than we thought, and his passing game is well below average. Why is that so hard for people to just admit?

Mar 31, 2018, 1:42 PM

It's no bueno. We have a defense that should be hosting the trophy but are severely hunstrung with a QB who fails to utilize our WR talent. It's Cole Stoudt 2.0 with a more talented overall team. KB should be playing TE.

Evidently he was the best QB we had last year.

Mar 31, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant can (and would) lead us to a 12-1 season...won't win it all ]

And might just be the best QB we have this year. We will have to see how it shakes out.

I think the competition this spring, summer, and fall will be great for our team. KB has some things to improve upon, namely his passing and offensive tempo. The other QBs have a lot to improve upon as well, plus they have to overcome the inexperience factor. Regardless of who starts, I think we will be better off at QB this year than we were last year.

I still contend that a bigger issue is our offensive line. It doesn't matter who our QB is, if they block like they did in some games last year (especially the Alabama game), we aren't winning the national championship in 2018.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You are assuming that Bryant can't or won't improve.

Mar 31, 2018, 2:37 PM

While I agree that he showed a lack of ability throwing intermediate and deep passes last year, I don't feel that he is incapable of improving significantly at both. If we look at his improvement over the last few years at Clemson, it is quite impressive. Nobody thought early on that he was capable of being our starting QB, and I think if most of us were asked our honest opinion prior to last season, we wouldn't have thought he would lead us to the outstanding season we had.

I don't know if KB will win the starting job. I think Lawrence and Johnson have higher ceilings as QBs, but who are we to assume that KB has already reached his ceiling? Who's to say that KB won't improve his passing game enough that, combined with his understanding of our offense and running ability, he will be the best QB on our team in 2018?

Re: You are assuming that Bryant can't or won't improve.

Mar 31, 2018, 3:14 PM

But did he really lead us to the 12-2 season? Or did the loaded defense and offensive playmaker talent?

Kelly Bryant was exactly what I expected. He's a big QB who can run the ball, is virtually a 0 in the passing attack (sure he can hit WR screens and wide open WRs over the middle....but every QB at this level can do that), and was carried to a great season by virtue of a great team. He's a game manager. He hasn't ever and won't go out and win games against great teams.

I've never seen any QB learn to throw an accurate deep ball.

Mar 31, 2018, 5:55 PM [ in reply to You are assuming that Bryant can't or won't improve. ]

Seems like one of those 'got it or you don't,' things.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic