Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly Bryant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Kelly Bryant

Mar 25, 2017, 3:49 PM

Don't post often but I wanted to hear opinions on this. I have thought this year was going to be a Cooper/Johnson battle. I know I'm overlooking Bryant. Its been his struggles when Ive seen him play, not comfortable with him passing the ball. But if Bryant ends up becoming a serviceable passer, his legs are legit. Could he be the best option?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly Bryant

Mar 25, 2017, 3:58 PM

I personally don't think so and I think the staff is playing seniority....I'll be very surprised if Cooper isn't starting the first game this season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Mar 25, 2017, 4:06 PM

Thankfully the decision will be made by professional coaches and evaluators and not by the loudest Tigernet posters. (Just a thought, with no offense intended to any tiger fan.)

Mar 25, 2017, 4:08 PM

Again...this is a message board and of course all answers to inquiries will be more than likely opinionated.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Mar 25, 2017, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant ]

If Bryant starts all the games in September we are 2-3. I hate to say it but I haven't seen a series of 10 throws thats says this guy can hit the open WR. He just doesn't have an accurate arm, but the good thing is we have guys who do. I think like you that its a Cooper/Johnson battle. Johnson has the cannon arm very accurate, he was 5 stars for a reason. Cooper the same from everything Ive read the coaches are raving about how great his arm is so dont think thats a problem with him. I think its between those two guys and whoever can get the plays down and learn the blitz pick up the fastest wins the starting role. I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper starts the season and Johnson finishes the season.

Mar 25, 2017, 4:24 PM

2 and 3? You may want to watch some college hoops tomorrow. Let's not talk about football. One of the best defenses in the country next year and this guy saids 2 and 3. Bryant has never really been in the game with the ones! When he did come in it was with big leads and not throwing the football to run clock.

Mar 25, 2017, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant ]

Just curious, how do you know these things?

Mar 25, 2017, 4:56 PM

watching tape

Mar 25, 2017, 5:57 PM

Gee, you to upgrade to digital!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Mar 25, 2017, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant ]

^^^^^^^this

Mar 25, 2017, 4:07 PM

I personally think it'll be a 'QB by committee' until about midseason. We'll start with Kelly because seniority. Someone will prob emerge as the front runner. If it's Hunter, it won't be until EVERY other QB has had ample time and opportunity to play and earn the spot.

They're praising Kelly's timing in passing which is great...but what happens when the play breaks down? What happens when things aren't scripted? I'm afraid his first go to option is to run and I think everyone knows that, including opposing Ds.

I don't expect miracles with Kelly. DO NOT expect another Watson obviously. He may prove to be really good...

Mar 25, 2017, 4:10 PM

Nope there will never be another Watson even though we may have many fine qb's. Deshaun was a once in a lifetime player

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

L'villes QB won a Heisman with that style of play***

Mar 25, 2017, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant ]

But, Louisville lost 4 games while he chased the Heisman

Mar 25, 2017, 5:38 PM

Do we want a QB to put up Heisman stats or win big games?

Nobody on here has any idea whether or not KB will be

Mar 25, 2017, 4:08 PM

the best choice, but he certainly could be. The problem is, we know very little about Kelly Bryant and how ready he is, even though concern about his readiness is understandable based on what we do know and what we have seen. Still, he's got a lot more experience here than any of the other candidates. As for the others, aside from Tucker Israel, who we've barely gotten a glimpse of, all we have is internet talk. rumor, and speculation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Nobody on here has any idea whether or not KB will be

Mar 25, 2017, 4:17 PM

All of KB's TDs have come via designed run. That's all we know.

Agree-all these opinions based on what they've

Mar 25, 2017, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Nobody on here has any idea whether or not KB will be ]

seen as KB as a raw true freshman or at garbage time last year are meaningless. He's never really played in a game where the entire offense was open to him.

I know this, until other QB's prove they know and can run the system better than he can, he'll continue as the leader. Last part of spring camp will be interesting, and the fall even more so.

But someone is going to have to beat him out. If by chance Kelly can be effective in the passing game, look out! His legs add an entirely different dimension to the offense

Exactly.

Mar 25, 2017, 4:44 PM

The fact that Bryant has been here 2 years and played in 10 games gives him a huge advantage. I don't know if the others can overcome that before fall. I think Johnson has a ton of potential, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's 4th on the depth chart come fall. And this isn't about seniority or loyalty, it's about experience and the ability to understand and run a complex offense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agree-all these opinions based on what they've

Mar 25, 2017, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Agree-all these opinions based on what they've ]

The QB in our system is the gear that makes everything else turn. He must have the ability to comprehend the playbook, make the proper read depending on what the defense shows, be able to hit timing routes, throw heat when necessary, and finally tuck and run at the right time. That's a load for anyone right now that we have on the roster. Ok,lets try and break the current QBS down based on the above. Bryant has the most experience but as a third stringer he did not immerse himself as deeply into the system as he should have and now he is playing catch-up. He has been designated the starter due to his time in the system. He has as others have commented raw talent but does he have all of the attributes to be the real starter? Next we have Israel who probably is the most prolific passer we have but he never will be the man because of his height and will probably end up transferring unless he finds some other meaningful position that he can be a contributor. Now lets look at Cooper, he is also a raw talent. He has some great skill sets but again like Kelly does he have a full understanding of the system? Doe he know the offense as he should in other words did he also make the most of his time as an understudy. Last we have Johnson who has never been on the field in a college game. He is probably the best overall athlete we have at the position. He was coached very good in high school and entered early for a reason, that being to compete for the starting job. I firmly believe that he has the ability along with all of the others. But you don't play at Clemson based on ability. You have to earn it and understand the system. So basically we are exactly where we started we have no idea who will step up and take control.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2017, 5:27 PM

Ability is the most important aspect. Our playbook is complex but we run a spread offense it's nothing in comparison to a pro-style offense. It's one read and go on the running and passing game

Mar 26, 2017, 1:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Agree-all these opinions based on what they've ]

I think you're short changing Israel. No pun intended.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the best thing for Clemson is for K Bryant

Mar 25, 2017, 4:29 PM

To step up. Never want to have to depend on Freshman. All we have heard is that this guy has all of the tools since he stepped on campus, I truly think he is starting to figure it out.

Mar 25, 2017, 5:12 PM

One thing is for sure... practicing against a defense like ours will inevitably get you better as a quarterback. If after a spring & summer against our defense, you aren't ready to compete - you won't be on the field, plain & simple. The coaches will have plenty of film & the quarterbacks have plenty time to prove their case. Come September, Dabo & company will have their frontrunner. Until then, anything you read, say or believe is pure speculation.

Mar 25, 2017, 5:27 PM

Cole Stoudt sure looked good when he dismantled Oklahoma.

Schuessler sure looked good when the came off the bench versus 'Cuse and finished running them out of Death Valley.

Next man up.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2017, 9:37 PM

Cole Stoudt did look good against Oklahoma... against everyone else however, he looked pretty horrible.

Nick Schuessler might be one of my favorite backups of all time to be honest. He was the quintessential "next man up". He never complained, could have easily started elsewhere, and always carried the team on his back when he came in. Huge fan of Nick and wish him the best of everything wherever the future takes him.

Next man up indeed!

Mar 25, 2017, 5:25 PM

It's make or break for all of them. At least 1 of the competitors plus Israel will transfer. I hope Hunter Johnson takes the reins. He has far and away more upside than the other two

Um, yeah.***

Mar 25, 2017, 5:37 PM

Mar 25, 2017, 8:46 PM

Bottom line is: If Kelly cannot connect with his open WR's, the ones that are some of the best in the country, then it won't be pretty for long. We might have to lose 1-2 games before the tribe gets restless.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic