Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly Bryant -- no takers as an undrafted free agent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Kelly Bryant -- no takers as an undrafted free agent

Apr 26, 2020, 10:50 PM

Is this a bad time to ask how a small percentage of very vocal T-Netters felt certain that Kelly Bryant deserved to start over Trevor Lawrence? It was a weird time and a strange statement from a great fan base in terms of understanding football talent and the desire for Clemson to win big as a team. Yet the ridiculous debate somehow lasted months. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly Bryant -- no takers as an undrafted free agent

Apr 26, 2020, 10:55 PM

Just spit my drink, lol!

KB represented CU well until he got his feelings hurt. He made his choice and maybe he is ok with it, but the results of the draft should come as no surprise to anyone.

Maybe he can compete in arena league or something. Best to the young man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 11:04 PM

It’s what happens when you just aren’t very good

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2020, 8:53 AM

It’s what happens when you just aren’t very good

Actually KB2 is a good college QB. Not great and not bad but good college QB. In no stretch of any reasonable person's imagination is he a NFL caliber QB. Not enough ARM, not skilled enough throwing the ball and does not process quickly enough. Too much of his game relies on his legs which will not work in the NFL and Bama gave him a sneak preview.

TB10 was a much better QB and he could not make it to the NFL either.

Apr 27, 2020, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant -- no takers as an undrafted free agent ]

when u cant throw --and his mama was the reason he transfered...IMHO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2020, 11:28 PM

his parents were not the reason he transferred. They may have stood by his decision but I don't believe for a moment that they motivated it nor encouraged it. I was around them during this period and saw them every Saturday. I saw no evidence of that. It was all Kelly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His best bet would have been if the XFL would have survived.

Apr 26, 2020, 11:08 PM

Sad really. Because I enjoyed the XFL each week it was on. Had COVID19 not shut the World down, I believe it would have survived and players like KB would have had great opportunities.

Re: His best bet would have been if the XFL would have survived.

Apr 27, 2020, 3:35 PM

He would have really struggled in that league and would have never played. Much better qbs than him didn’t do very much in that league. There was some really good talent in the XFL.

Re: His best bet would have been if the XFL would have survived.

Apr 27, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to His best bet would have been if the XFL would have survived. ]

Another option for KB is the CFL. His rights are owned by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Flipping cold there but a place to prove yourself in a pass happy league and if your a QB that can run too.

Apr 26, 2020, 11:17 PM

Somebody wanted KB to start over TL?

I thought the big debate was about a championship ring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 11:19 PM

KB got one, right?

yeah, the one Watson got him***

Apr 27, 2020, 7:07 AM

Apr 27, 2020, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant -- no takers as an undrafted free agent ]

Lol, took me a minute...

Talent is one thing NFL scouts would be concerned about

Apr 26, 2020, 11:24 PM

but then add in the way he left Clemson on ugly terms that appeared extremely selfish and it raises a major red flag. If you have exceptional talent, then a poor attitude or off the field issues can be overlooked by some teams. That's not going to happen here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't know Kelly Bryant & he didn't leave on ugly

Apr 26, 2020, 11:32 PM

terms. Several players went to his spring game this past year to show their support for him...I think the players would know him better than you.

Re: You don't know Kelly Bryant & he didn't leave on ugly

Apr 28, 2020, 8:05 AM

You are correct. KB seems to have many close friends on the team so I'm betting they know his heart better than we do. I wish him the best.

Re: Talent is one thing NFL scouts would be concerned about

Apr 27, 2020, 2:28 AM [ in reply to Talent is one thing NFL scouts would be concerned about ]

Kelly Bryant transferring wouldnt even be the slightest factor.

Apr 27, 2020, 7:36 AM

Yeah amazing how high Joe Burrow would have been drafted if he hadn’t transferred!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Apr 27, 2020, 9:20 AM

Exactly. It is meaningless. There was a guy drafted this draft who was kicked out of school for academic fraud. Kelly Bryant cant throw the ball well. That's why wasnt even given a free agent offer. Heck Maurice Clarrett was drafted. Aaron Hernandez was drafted. Lawrence Phillips was drafter. Kelly Bryant didnt a do a thing other than just not being good enough. He complained about not getting a fair shot? Big deal.

Apr 26, 2020, 11:36 PM

Let's not flog the guy because he left. It was best for him and the team.

He should be able to make a CFL roster.

Apr 27, 2020, 6:16 AM

If memory serves me,he had earned the right to start over Trevor,but keeping that right became quite clear as the season progressed.Kelly was a serviceable quarterback,but not a championship caliber quarterback.So Dabo made the right choice in switching starters.
Not much of a debate,just my 2 cents worth.

Apr 27, 2020, 7:20 AM

I think a lot folks thought he would've been better served by a position change to WR or safety. He followed his heart and wanted to be a college QB. He has a degree from Clemson so he'll eventually get a nice job and work just like the rest of us.

Apr 27, 2020, 7:30 AM

Kelly will find out (maybe he already knows) that having that degree is 100% more important in his life and future than a few years trying to make it in the NFL.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 27, 2020, 8:51 AM

I am glad he transferred. Never missed him and will say again, “ He is not pro material.” Now, having said that I hope he gets a good job out IN THE REAL WORLD.

Apr 27, 2020, 9:19 PM

How’s Bud, Ora? New Vitamins these days?

Apr 27, 2020, 9:44 AM

I can honestly say I'd forgotten about him throughout the draft period. Even so, I wish him well in life's endeavors.

Apr 27, 2020, 10:18 AM

I think a position change would have helped him, but he followed his dream. He didn’t fail, he did what he wanted to do. Now he has to figure out what he wants to do next.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2020, 12:29 PM

I said it before and I’ll say it again. He probably would’ve gotten drafted had he made the switch to WR like Braxton Miller did for OSU.

Apr 27, 2020, 4:58 PM

If he has any chance, he has to become a receiver.special teams player.

Apr 27, 2020, 8:15 PM

What is amazing is that our coaching staff was able to get our team to the semifinals with Bryant at QB. The kid was not a major college QB. If he would have changed positions he would be getting a chance in the league. Maybe he can coach at wren or Calhoun falls???

Apr 27, 2020, 8:37 PM

Yea I agree. He’s a WR...Dakeron Joyner is sipping the same kool aid. Wants to be a QB and refuses to switch his position. Clemson knew better. He’s next...

Apr 28, 2020, 1:03 AM

I admire Kelly has a person and a man. I always thought that he was just a smidge short of being a great quarterback. If he ever has a chance, he's going to have to become a more accurate, consistent passer. The rest of his game is pretty good...but he's too inconsistent throwing the ball.

I wish him the best.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 2:05 AM

If he wanted to go to the NFL, he should’ve switched to TE. He would’ve been unstoppable at that position. He’s a super athletic kid, has great feet, decent arm talent for intermediate throws. Long ball and short throws often hung WRs out to dry.

He was a winner at Clemson though. He was surrounded by a great cast here, which I’m sure amplified his win total and productivity.

Apr 28, 2020, 4:51 AM

How does everyone seem to know he could even catch a ball, which I've always found to be an important attribute to any WR or TE. He had to soft a personality to be a TE and to slow to be a WR. He was in the right position, and in the league(college), and that was always going to be his limit. Even though Walt Deptula said he would definitely be a Pro QB. I'm sure he'll touch on that soon enough though

Right, because it's so easy to just switch positions

Apr 28, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant -- no takers as an undrafted free agent ]

and beat out other talented players on the roster, and excel to the level of becoming a professional at that position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Seems it would have been at least as good a shot as at QB

Apr 28, 2020, 11:54 AM

if the draft and udfa list is any indicator............

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 3:14 PM

It is a little hard to see - given how much you KNOW Kelly has been dreaming of being an NFL QB likely since he was a young kid. No doubt it has been his primary motivation.

Everybody but KB knew he would never play QB in

Apr 28, 2020, 3:38 PM

the NFL. Just wasn't going to happen. Maybe another position but definitely not QB.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 3:53 PM

This is tigernet. My pulse used to be around 60% because I wanted Tommy Bowden fired three years prior to it happening. Some people here are just slooooooowwwwww to catch on.

KB2 certainly felt that way, entitled & said so on his way..

Apr 28, 2020, 4:01 PM

out the door. It must have been tough for him to feel as though it was slipping away?

As for his position change, he ran a ~4.69 at 227. That's not getting it done at WR or DB, and that's not considering all else that goes into those 2 skill positions. Deandre McDaniel, a very bad man, ran a ~4.63 & couldn't stick around the NFL.

Dude played a lot of D1 football, much more than many; sometimes it's just not meant to be at the next level?

If Tajh Boyd isn’t an NFL caliber QB...

Apr 28, 2020, 4:39 PM

and he’s not, then ain’t no WAY that Kelly B is an NFL QB. He should have wised up and asked for a position change when he couldn’t beat out Nick Schuessler.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet Tyrod Taylor and Mike Glennon made it for a while.

Apr 28, 2020, 6:10 PM

Go figure!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic