Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KJ Henry/Mascol
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

KJ Henry/Mascol

Dec 1, 2020, 11:13 PM

KJ has been really quiet this year! He came in as one of the highest ranked players in Clemson history #10 I believe.
Was he slowed with "the Vid"? What's even more surprising about KJ is: "he took a RS year and is still not that dominant force you would think he would be by now"! He has a few more years to figure it out. Hoping he does here at the last half of this season.

We need the 4 and 5 star guys to play like their rating! XT you understand because he has been derailed by injury.
Mascol? Injuries slowing him?

I know about Justin Foster's battle with asthma/covid.

Myles Murphy is productive. Bresee is productive. Dabo has said and has shown he will put the players out there who make plays! Who give the team the best chance of winning.
Trenton Simpson has been making more and more plays and has worked himself into a key part of the defense early.

So - if you still reading and not thinking of a reply b/c you think I am dogging these two - know this. I am asking the following question. Is it about the mental part you think for some players? Or are they still adjusting to the speed of college ball? Or both? This post is about how some players can come in and make an impact immediately versus others who may have been ranked higher! I want them all to do well of course! It just amazes me how quick some get it and how some "never get it or it never works out even after years of being in the program"! Looking at the below - clearly they(Henry/Mascol) aren't doing horrible.
But, looking at the snap count it seems they are being passed by. I like my experienced guys to play 1st. I see it as a bad thing if young guys have to be the ones depended on to make plays especially if veteran players are present(didn't get drafted or left school or transferred).
Between, Bresee, Murphy, Simpson and Green that freshman class has just balled out and has pushed or surpassed vets. Crazy!
https://data.clemsontigers.com/pdf/football/2020-21/ClemsonFBStats.pdf

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is really no surprise at all

Dec 1, 2020, 11:41 PM

At least to me. I predicted Murphy and Bresee would become starters during the season and push the vets down the depth charts. Both guys are just too physically gifted, developed and "plug-in ready" to be kept off the field.

I'll go one step further: If Korey Foreman comes here next year, he will be a Game 1 starter, pushing Henry and Mascoll further down the totem pole. He will have a bigger impact as a freshman than Bresee or Murphy. Yes, he's just that good.

My 2 cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we practically have 3 deep on the DL

Dec 2, 2020, 12:23 AM

meanwhile at the OL position... And credit to the kids on the OL who are doing their best.

Re: KJ Henry/Mascol

Dec 2, 2020, 12:56 AM

Henry and Mascol have shown flashes of talent

Some guys just take longer to put all the pieces together. Physical , mental and technique.

We are blessed to have an incredibly talented freshman class.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 5:52 AM

KJ has worked hard & knew he would have to after he arrived on campus, he’s been clear that he played mostly basketball & had a body built for that. He has worked hard in the weight room. He missed getting fed & working out at Clemson over the spring/summer.

He will get there but he knew he had to gain the strength & technique, he has a high ceiling but he needed to develop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Dec 2, 2020, 5:48 AM

Henry's apparently a good kid...and he definitely has that snaky speed and first step. His problem is power. He's a pure edge guy right now. He could use some more time in the weightroom and a little more lead in his butt; when he can convert to power he'll be a lot more complete.

XT is a pure power guy who wants to rip back inside; he's not terribly long and his ability to convert to speed when the guy takes the inside isn't where you want it, especially right now after a lengthy illness and layoff. Getting back in shape after being gutted by COVID will help him, I think.

Mascoll's got the best combo of the three physically but he's also the rawest. Best guess is he probably ends up as the highest draft pick of the three but he definitely also came in with the furthest to go. Probably compares somewhat to a Kevin Dodd.

FWIW.

Dec 2, 2020, 5:53 AM

If I knew you were posting this I wouldn’t have posted.....lol thank you!??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Dec 2, 2020, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: KJ Henry/Mascol ]

I think there are several factors. All this you just said about what type of player they are is true, and it plays a role. Plus the depth we have at defensive end right now is crazy. Then add in that we are playing ALOT of 3 man front is going to effect their production.

Having said that, I hope this week against VT we go back to 4-3 since they are such a run heavy team and lock them down at the line. Similar game plan as the Miami game. Force the QB from VT to try and throw it, and we just eat him up or pick him off when he throws up 50/50 balls.

The TD bandits are really after you Q

Dec 2, 2020, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: KJ Henry/Mascol ]

Made sure to give you a TU to try to counter it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The TD bandits are really after you Q

Dec 2, 2020, 12:58 PM

Made sure to give you a TU to try to counter it.

Same here! It's amazing! So, it's not just the subject matter then. There are some people who get a kick out of giving Thumbs down then?

I see.

Sounds like disgruntled chickens!

Dec 2, 2020, 9:18 AM

I know we're talking Henry/Mascol but I'm surprised that Mitchell Mayes hasn't stepped up with snap counts on the oline. Coming in as #2 in the class, thought he might be immediate impact. Guess the spring/summer development hurt that too.

Does DK come back and show out Sat. Have to keep containment on that QB. He's pretty darn elusive.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 9:33 AM

When looking at stats and production from edge guys, I think the presence of an inside force(Tyler, Dex is key) When Davis is there pushing the LOS into the backfield the edge guys have been a lot more effective. Big Dex and Tyler are so rare in the fact that they came in physically able and skilled enough to occupy multiple OL and still move them backward. Bresee is disruptive and an advanced tactician with rip and swim but even he does not possess the pure strength of Tyler or Dex at this point. At this point for KJ and Mascoll I think the next step in development is to perfect a signature move. With Look at what Dodd was able to do once he perfected his unique "wiper" move which was a combo of rip and swim that made him near unblockable towards the end of his career here.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 10:07 AM

Others have given multiple reasons for why KJ/Mascoll haven't "jumped off the screen" with their play to this point, but I will add a couple more.

First with the comparison to Myles Murphy:

Clemson has NEVER signed a DE that was more field ready on day 1 on campus than Myles Murphy. Clemson has not been a slouch in the past with DE recruiting so that is a HUGE statement. It should be no surprise that he ran quickly up the depth chart.

Second:

KJ, while a 5 star, along with Mascoll were recruited on potential because they were both WAY undersized coming out of high school. It was known that no matter how athletic they were, they would require some time to change their bodies and add strength.

Third:

Nobody is going to put up huge numbers when you are rotating 4-5 guys per game at DE and also switching between 3 and 4 man fronts periodically. Players will have a game here and there with good numbers, but there are too many bodies switching in and out for anybody to put up Beasley, Lawson, or Dodd sack/TFL numbers.

All of our DEs are playing at a high level or else they would not be seeing any snaps because the other DEs would push them out of the rotation. You can be sure that anyone who is still seeing significant time is doing exactly what is asked of them on the field on a weekly basis.

Dec 2, 2020, 10:15 AM

I actually think KJ has played pretty well this year, especially early in the season. I think he is on track to becoming even more effective. We have a lot of good players on the edge, so I don't think you are going to see any of them get the sack stats like some of our players in the past and of course a pure edge rusher is not going to be as effective stopping the run.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting Down Votes On This!

Dec 2, 2020, 12:57 PM

Guess you have to literally type it out every time. But, "my commentary was just to get the other football heads talking about the subject"! "It was not intended as coaching advice as if I know more than the coaches who have forgotten more about football than I will ever know"!

I mean, Q got down votes for his response?

Seems like "compartmentalizing things" is an issue for some people! I have been a Clemson fan/supporter since 1975 and have never downed kids on our team. They are all Tigers in my mind.
But, much like a coach does, you have to decide who can help the team be in position to win and who will struggle! It's not a popular thing and it's not an easy thing! And, I am glad it's not my call.

Just stuff for a "MESSAGE BOARD"! Nothing on here impacts anything; seems like some people forget that!

IDK man; sorry!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic