Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KB had 5 games between 72-79% completion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

KB had 5 games between 72-79% completion

Jul 5, 2018, 7:02 PM

percentage. He had 6 games at 65% or higher. He had 1 game at 53% and 1 game at 50%.

KB had an above average year. Period. I don't claim he's THE guy, but there was a poster earlier today who said KB was inconsistent, wavering between 60/40 and 50/50 depending on confidence. Poster was wayyy off. With 11 of 13 games at 65% or higher, that's darn consistent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB had 5 games between 72-79% completion

Jul 5, 2018, 7:07 PM

Yes he did and I don’t mean to bash him at all but the only throws he consistently hit were short flare screens and quick slants. Coach Elliott and Scott knew that he struggled hitting the intermediate-deep ball consistently so they structured the offense to throw the ball short the majority of the time they even decided to throw. Stats sometimes can be deceiving

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yards per completion is not relevant in this discussion.

Jul 5, 2018, 7:11 PM

A poster earlier said KB was inconsistent between 60/40 and 50/50. With 11 of 13 games being over 65% and only 1 at 50/50, that's darn consistent.

Well, not to be snarky

Jul 5, 2018, 7:14 PM

But completion percentage is irrelevant if the YPC isn't getting the team down the field.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter how one tries to downplay KB

Jul 5, 2018, 7:21 PM

There's no way to argue he was 50/50 to 60/40 in completion percentage. He only had only 2 games below 65%, and buddy that's consistent.

A one armed monkey can throw dump off passes

Jul 5, 2018, 7:24 PM

And be consistent. So whats your point? Can KB keep defenses honest? Can he threaten them downfield consistently? The answer, if youre being honest with yourself, is no.

Re: A one armed monkey can throw dump off passes

Jul 5, 2018, 7:38 PM

I hate that you are right because Kelly B seems like a great leader on both last years team and potential to be this year too. I think how he handles the transition and keeping the team unified will play a huge role on if we win a national championship. However, anyone who knows football unfortunately knows he is not the answer at QB. Without the threat of a vertical passing game teams will stack the box and shut the run down. TLaw will open everything up and this team will be dangerous. I just hope KB has a role and will situationally help this team win.

No, a monkey wouldn't have 11 of 13 games

Jul 5, 2018, 8:46 PM [ in reply to A one armed monkey can throw dump off passes ]

over 65% completions. Point is, that IS consistent. I think you may be getting confused. There was a guy who said KB was inconsistent between 60/40 and 50/50. 11 of 13 games over 65% disproves that. No more, no less. I'm not arguing KB long distance game at all, only showing that comments stating KB was 60/40 and 50/50 are undeniably false.

Re: No, a monkey wouldn't have 11 of 13 games

Jul 5, 2018, 9:48 PM

We can argue semantics I guess. Great he had a high completion percentage. However, his YPA and his TD/INT ratio were bad. INTs good which makes the stat worse, he can’t execute long and intermediate throws that result in TDs. Like I said, KB has a role on this team and situationally will help us win games with his dual threat ability. Just don’t confuse that with a talent like TLaw needing to be the primary QB. I’ll trade completion percentage for deep balls and TD passes all day.

Again, the point I'm making for KB is that he was consistent

Jul 5, 2018, 10:00 PM

He was not inconsistently between 60/40 and 50/50. Not even close. Again, at 11 of 13 games over 65% and only 1 game at 50%, that's about as consistent as you can get. Do you disagree with that? He was about average in yardage and yards per completion, but he was top 10 in completion percentage. You're arguing about his ability to complete long passes, but I'm not. And neither is this a TL/KB debate. But as far as that goes, KB will start and play unless he shows he's incapable.

The real question here is,

Jul 5, 2018, 10:12 PM

would you choose defense first?

Re: he will start unless he's incapable

Jul 5, 2018, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Again, the point I'm making for KB is that he was consistent ]

Since you've decided that for us, how will we know he's incapable? When he can't run? When he can't practice with the first team? Neither of those defined 'incapable' last Halloween. What about when he fails to complete 65% of his passes--will that constitute 'incapable' to you, Coach?

The bottom line is this: every ACC game that Kelly starts (which is ABSOLUTELY Dabo's call), the opposing coach will be thanking Dabo for giving them the chance of hanging with us and derailing our shot at a national title.

Re: Again, the point I'm making for KB is that he was consistent

Jul 6, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Again, the point I'm making for KB is that he was consistent ]

He was consistent with passes that went 5 yds or less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A one armed monkey can throw dump off passes

Jul 6, 2018, 9:36 AM [ in reply to A one armed monkey can throw dump off passes ]

This! +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All that wasted WR talent cause

Jul 5, 2018, 7:25 PM [ in reply to No matter how one tries to downplay KB ]

he cannot complete the intermediate and long range passes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, not to be snarky

Jul 6, 2018, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Well, not to be snarky ]

100% +1

YPA is relevant in any discussion about a QBs performance

Jul 6, 2018, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Yards per completion is not relevant in this discussion. ]

Completion % only tells half the story (at best) so it's pretty useless by itself.

70% tell me nothing. 55% tells me nothing.

70% and 7.0 YPA tells me the QB was completing a lot of safe throws underneath but was probably unable to stretch the field. In order for this QB to succeed he would need to sustain a lot of really long drives, convert a lot of 3rd downs, and likely have some help from the running game.

55% and 10.0 YPA tells me the QB was taking a lot of shots down field and hitting on some big chunk plays. This QB probably hit on some quick TD strikes, but may have also had a decent number of 3 and outs.

You still don't get a complete picture from either, but its definitely much more telling than completion % alone.

Re: Yards per completion is not relevant in this discussion.

Jul 6, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Yards per completion is not relevant in this discussion. ]

To that I say, "so what". They were mostly screens, and very few did he hit down field very far, especially after the injury he sustained. If he is "the guy", I hope he lights it up, but looking at last season and his performance in the Spring Game, he has need of some major progress.

Coach Scott also knew we didn’t have WR’s that would

Jul 5, 2018, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: KB had 5 games between 72-79% completion ]

Go up and ###### the ball out of the air. If KB2 had the WR’s to throw to TB10 had we’d be the 2017 defending champs, even give him the WR’s DW4 had and the BAMA game is a toss up.

Re: Coach Scott also knew we didn’t have WR’s that would

Jul 6, 2018, 10:14 AM

Um, he HAD the receivers DW4 had in 2015...Cain, Renfrow, Thompson, McCloud...all 4 were on the 2015 National Championship run....and Deshaun got within 5 from Bama without one of them (and without Williams) that year.

Was missing Artavis Scott (undrafted in the NFL draft), but had Ray Ray McCloud, his backup in 2015 (drafted in the NFL Draft) and 5 star Amari Rodgers backing him. Was missing Charone Peake (who seemed to block better his last year than he caught... inconsistent his entire Clemson career), Jermone Hopper (also inconsistent, dropped the ball a lot....and left the team to still never make it on an NFL team)....had 5 star Tee Higgins....4 star Cornell Powell...high 4 star Deondre Overton.

Why in the world does anyone think that Bryant didn't have WR talent? Did KB have Mike Williams...no...but neither did DW4 in 2015.

The only "receiver" piece he seemed to be missing an equivalent of was a consistent TE.

Jul 5, 2018, 7:29 PM

All these 5 star receivers don't come to Clemson to only catch short passes or screens they need to stretch the field in order to be successful against elite teams.

i saw Tee waiting on passes to arrive

Jul 5, 2018, 7:35 PM

and thats all i have to say about that

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i saw Tee waiting on passes to arrive

Jul 5, 2018, 9:26 PM

And a lot of times that’s when receivers get hurt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that you Mrs. Swinney? If yes, Will is doing well ...***

Jul 5, 2018, 10:36 PM

Jul 5, 2018, 11:02 PM

If your point, point, point, point, point was that KB's completion pctg was consistently high, congratulations on making it ad nauseum.

If you're claiming that irrelevant statistic alone defines Kelly's year as "above average. Period", you failed the interpretation aspects of your statistics class.

This board " consistently " praises Kelly for the multitude of good characteristics he brought to the team. Disagreement erupts--not that it's bad, i personally like friendly disagreement--when some posters try to conclude that one or two hand-selected stats have more importance than all the others. Or when some of us (like me) suggest that no one is entitled to anything in 2018 based on 2017's performance. I include Christian Wilkins, Hunter Renfrow and Kelly Bryant in that statement.

Having a high completion percentage literally only means A. we kept the ball cleaner (kinda funny when they change out balls so frequently) and B. we kept the clock running and shortened the game (which is the antithesis to modern Clemson offensive philosophy about running 80-100 plays so our playmakers can exert their superiority.)

not sure why you go TD'd because you are right

Jul 6, 2018, 8:14 AM

Completion percentage is a small drop in the bucket. YPC is the bigger stat to look at here and we were down last year. Dumping the ball at the los 70% of the time is not Clemson offense..and definitely not national championship caliber offense. We need KB to be able to make reads and put the ball in the tight windows that Watson could if we want to go to the national championship game again. Hopefully Trevor Lawrence can do that.

I would say YPA is the better stat.

Jul 6, 2018, 11:45 PM

It combines yards and completions as 1 stat.

Jul 6, 2018, 7:37 AM

Oh, give me a break...

What you fail to mention:

All of his that were past 70% were: Kent St, WF, Syracuse (which he only played part of, had 0 TD's against), Citadel, and Miami (which was selling on stopping the run expecting to force take aways putting him under pressure... Notice that run strength QB's whopping 7 total yards of rushing in that game yet??).

His worse two were: VT, and Alabama.

He had 66% vs a 6 loss train wreck FSU... Which he had 0 passing TD's and only 151 passing yards. The RB's helped win that game, btw. 65% vs Auburn that didn't have Kerrryon Johnson in the game, which again, he had 0 passing TD's, only 181 passing yards... Luckily for him he made the two rushing TD's in that one (Etienne didn't play in it either). But his passing was still mediocre. I'm grateful our sack fest D was on point with 11 sacks in that game myself.

Know what that shows? He's inconsistent against better teams.

Re: KB had 5 games between 72-79% completion***

Jul 6, 2018, 7:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: KB had 5 games between 72-79% completion***

Jul 6, 2018, 7:49 AM

Put that detector away, man. There are kids in here.

Jul 6, 2018, 7:52 AM

OP is off his rocker.

Jul 6, 2018, 8:15 AM

In comparing Stats vs other ACC QBs, he was close to the top w/ completion % but in the middle of the pack in every other statistic. That tells you all you need to know.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, so you can quote statistics. But, Alabama showed you

Jul 6, 2018, 9:01 AM

just how much those statistics were really worth. For our offense (or any offense) to work against Bama, the deep threat has to be consistently there. Otherwise, the box gets stacked, and suddenly the short stuff isn't working either. If you had knowledge of football to go along with your pure math skills, you would be able to see that.

lollers

Jul 6, 2018, 9:32 AM

and correct!

Talking to GoWill, Shanely, Spiked Punch, Stanley is like talking to a brick wall though!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Jul 6, 2018, 9:41 AM

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jul 6, 2018, 10:04 AM

As long as we almost win a national title all is good. As long we come close.

Re: close

Jul 6, 2018, 12:01 PM

Yerrrrr baddd!

Jul 6, 2018, 1:45 PM

Percentages and being effective aren't the same thing. If he shuffles the ball 6 inches forward to Ray Ray it's a completion. For the most part he struggled to makes big throws and all year we suffered from an underwhelming offense. I would love for our next QB to have that high of a completion percentage but I would also much rather our next QB whether it be him or TL get the ball into the end zone because at the end of the day that's what matters.

Jul 6, 2018, 6:13 PM

KB holds the ball if there is even a idea of a defender in play. Of course his completion percentage is high. The guy would run out of bounds yards behind the line of scrimmage without tossing it away.

Jul 6, 2018, 10:30 PM

I hope KB has improved on the longer throws because now teams will load the box and dare him to like Bama did. Not bias just saying. I want the best out there no matter who it is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic