Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Justyn Ross >= Devonte Smith
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Justyn Ross >= Devonte Smith

Jan 11, 2021, 9:31 PM

We missed Ross and Ladson/Ngata and a bit more beef (that's coming) up front. A tad more depth and experience on the D line and we'd be hoisting the trophy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Justyn Ross >= Devonte Smith

Jan 11, 2021, 9:33 PM

Not with the 2020 OL. Even with all the WRs. Sorry man. Huge step back on the LOS was why Clemson isn’t there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 9:33 PM

Meant to add, we had the players set up on D. Injuries and covid got us on what I said in first post. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:35 PM

That’s a tough call. Smith seems to have a little more ‘quick’ than Justyn Ross imo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:42 PM

Ross is a great receiver, but Smith is out of this world. Smith is better at this point.

Different types of receivers too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 10:00 PM

Get the fact they're different and I did say in the original post our oline. But my point is, we had the best QB I've ever seen, we had enough weapons to hang with both these teams.

As for Devonte and Ross, time will prove me right imho that Ross will have a better career... God willing. Again, imho, a lot of what creates numbers for Devonte is th play calling.

Jan 11, 2021, 10:06 PM

Better career? Ross has already played 2 full seasons and will likely only play one more in college. Ross is great, but posts like this make us all look foolish. It’s ok for other teams to have great players. It’s going to happen from time to time.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:13 AM

I probably won't see it because I doubt I'll live long enough but I was talking their NFL careers.

Where you going Clemsongal ??***

Jan 13, 2021, 11:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 9:55 PM

Disagree. Let’s not let homerism blind us

Jan 11, 2021, 9:56 PM

Love JR but he aint in Smith's class. Not close.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:59 PM

Yeah...I don’t know. That’s a toss up...plus Ross doesn’t have the that trophy.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:59 PM

Smith is impressive to say the least! While JR is great, Smith is a special talent!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 10:00 PM

DeVonta Smith is better than Justyn Ross. Let’s not kid ourselves. I’ll argue that Ross is the 2nd best WR, but Smith is clearly the best.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:32 AM

Leon, you know I love your posts and respect your knowledge. Devonte had a great senior year. Devonte Jr year and Ross sophomore year, which he played hurt a lot as we all found out, is very comparable to each. Justyn had more reception, about the same yardage, but 6 less tds than Devonte.

Plus, that doesn't take into account the number of minutes each played. Ross a lot less. Also, Justyn had kb as a QB too for some of his freshman year. I've looked at the game plays for Bama and day and devonte were in to the end of game almost every game except d2 opponents.

Now, begs the question, we'll never know but what might have been had Trevor had a healthy JR this year... Hopefully we'll get to find out next year just how great JR is.

As stated above, I imho think JR will have a better pro career than ds.

I'm not saying ds isn't great and not deserved the Heisman.. He clearly is. But when you watch the Bama games and Smith, keep in mind he had good play calls and he had a stud cast around him too that allowed a lot of yac.

2nd best WR in all of CF? realistically, top10****

Jan 12, 2021, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Justyn Ross >= Devonte Smith ]

Jan 12, 2021, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Justyn Ross >= Devonte Smith ]

Chase is top notch too. I would have him above a healthy Ross this year. Not by much though...

Jan 12, 2021, 8:04 AM

What makes Smith so special is that he can play a wide variety of skill positions as it relates to the WR position. All those favorable matchups are created because he can line up in the slot, X, or Z positions. You can open the playbook up for Smith and create those mismatches simply because of that alone and when you factor in his elite route running, athleticism, and top end speed, it makes him simply the most dominant WR in the game right now. He is above shoulders much better than Justyn Ross.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 12, 2021, 8:23 AM

As of now he is not.

Jan 12, 2021, 9:40 AM

Really appreciate the comments and feedback. I'm not dissing Devonte, love his story et al.

I think Carlsbad is making my point. Devonte has had 4 years of college to develop. Justyn has had 2 years (pushing it to say 2 full years) .

So we really don't know what his ceiling is or will be. God willing we will get to know. Will he learn to play each position? I hope so.

That said, my subject title was misleading. My original posts and addendum was pointing out had Trevor had a healthy JR and Ladson, coupled with the defense we thought we were going to have (XT and Foster) and Vinson development as Dabo expected we most likely would have been in the game last night... Bottom line, we weren't that far off. ?????

Jan 12, 2021, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Justyn Ross >= Devonte Smith ]

Definitely right now, Smith can’t catch with that cast on.

I chuckled***

Jan 12, 2021, 10:10 AM

Let's keep it real

Jan 12, 2021, 10:20 AM

I love Justyn, but Devonta Smith is on another level.

Smith seems like a good young man. I wish him the best now that he's leaving Alabama.

Jan 12, 2021, 9:39 PM

Sorry, have to disagree on that take.

Smith is the most explosive WR in CFB

Jan 12, 2021, 10:35 PM

In the last decade or more. His speed and agility are on another level. Freakish.

Re: Smith is the most explosive WR in CFB

Jan 13, 2021, 1:05 PM

I know Clemson likes the taller receivers but maybe we could recruit a smaller Water Bug like Smith once a year or two. That guy was everywhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree

Jan 14, 2021, 12:29 AM

We could use a Chansi Stuckey size type slot guy with stupid speed these days.

Totally agree

Jan 14, 2021, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Smith is the most explosive WR in CFB ]

Totally agree

Jan 14, 2021, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Smith is the most explosive WR in CFB ]

Totally agree

Totally agree

Totally agree

I just hope Justyn Ross gets and stays healthy***

Jan 13, 2021, 2:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 3:10 PM

While Smith's numbers exploded down the stretch, remember that he was overshadowed by Waddle prior to the ankle injury.

If Waddle stayed healthy, Mac Jones would have been the Heisman winner , throwing to both of them.

Extra kudos to Smith for starting the season as the #2 WR option but carrying his team to a blowout national championship victory. He had 200+ receiving yards before halftime, mostly on short throws. That's crazy good.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic