Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just wondering........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,931

Just wondering........

Sep 30, 2018, 11:34 PM

It seems like no matter who we play or where we play them, we always get every team's best game. Then the next week you can hardly recognize them, because they look like a high school team. Am I way off on this or have some of you noticed this too?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Astute observation

Sep 30, 2018, 11:45 PM

We get everyone's best shot when we meet. Big accomplishment to say we knocked off a Top 4 Team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just wondering........

Sep 30, 2018, 11:46 PM

I don't think that you're off at all. We have been sitting a top of the ACC for the past few years, and the target is on our back, and teams can use us as a measuring stick for their own program. I think that when they lose to us, there isn't really anyone else they can find their answers from, and their team just don't put in the very same effort as they did with us....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll get torched for saying this...

Sep 30, 2018, 11:46 PM

but we play very sloppy against lower competition. We make these teams look like they're giving us some miraculous effort, when it's really us allowing them to make plays and stay in the game.

Yesterday...
-Botched exchange leads to -3yds and a FG.
-We miss a FG.
-Simmons gets out of position on a cover 3 and gives up a long pass play before half that leads to a FG.
-Amari pushes off of a DB instead of going at the pass from Brice with two hands... we settle for a FG instead of catching a TD.
-Amari muffs a punt giving them a TD.

If we play a clean games yesterday, then they don't kick a FG their second drive and the drive before half. They don't score in the 2nd half. That gives them 10pts. We would've won that game comfortable. Now obviously playcalling would've been different and who knows how everything from a changed scenario would've played out, but we allowed that game to be closer than it should've been and it's what we generally do.

Even in '15 and '16 we were near the top of the ACC in turnovers. Last season we did better, but for obvious reasons we just weren't explosive at all. Allowing lesser teams to hang around with us isn't a recent trend.

Re: I'll get torched for saying this...

Oct 1, 2018, 12:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2018, 12:06 AM [ in reply to I'll get torched for saying this... ]

Bama seems to play with an attitude every week regardless of team.

We may field a team of starters that can compete with Bama..

Oct 1, 2018, 12:08 AM

but we'll never have an entire roster like they do. Nobody will.

Oct 1, 2018, 12:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I'll get torched for saying this... ]

It’s the PEDs, no doubt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 1, 2018, 2:07 AM

It’s the PEDs, no doubt.

Better more likely explanation...

Oct 1, 2018, 2:00 AM [ in reply to I'll get torched for saying this... ]

Is CT12's or some unknown Law of physics

Oct 1, 2018, 8:40 PM [ in reply to I'll get torched for saying this... ]

I think you're spot on. Going back many years, there has been a tendency to shoot ourselves in the foot, and we find ourselves in dogfights that shouldn't be dogfights. As a result, our more formidable opponents are not intimated in the least, and likely feel we're ripe for the picking. If we could just do a little bit better in minimizing mistakes, it would go a long way in our attempts to put teams away.

Some posters complain that the our OCs aren't creative enough, and run the same handful of plays. If that is true, I suspect it is partly due to our tendency to make mistakes, and they are trying to keep things simple to reduce the risk of mistakes. It seems to me that we're doing better than the Chad Morris era, but there is still room for improvement.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

As you say, it happens to us all year, every year...

Oct 1, 2018, 2:26 AM

for years upon end. It isn't an anomaly. Our coaches do that to harden the troops and get them ready for when we face a team of equal talent. It's a training tool like lifting weights or running long distance for stamina. It's no more than running hills for leg and hip strength.

When you work the mind the mind develops more ability to work. That's why you leave Clemson University being smarter than you were when you enrolled. The mind has adverse reactions to failure. It rejects those emotions by developing greater ability to focus on fundamentals and stick to the plan.

A coach tell a kid how to do something once. If the kid gets it but doesn't do it a good coach doesn't get angry he helps the kid focus on what the kid did wrong. The coach watches him and continues to tell him what when wrong until he does it right. When he does it right the mind remembers how each muscle worked and how they worked together to succeed in the task. It's called muscle memory. Repetition refines and polishes muscle memory which creates a state of mind in such that the mind works without the conscious awareness.

I coached Dixie Baseball for a decade and it never failed if a kid could control his emotions. An overly emotional player can't perform. A focus in practice can add 15% to a kid's throwing power and 50 to his bat speed if he lacks previous training in the fundamentals of hitting and pitching. Growth from strength, age and physical maturity does the rest.

Which brings me to our next importing issue. Chaise was throwing in warmup and I was watching his arm slot. On a scale of 1 to 100 I'd give him a perfect score. His throwing motion was what he was working on in warmup. He's a blessing that few teams out there have. Imo, if he does his job now we won't notice much difference when he steps in for Trevor late in the games.

In fact I think we might see the two quarterback system continue for a while. Yes, he's good enough to spend time on the field against anyone, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just wondering........

Oct 1, 2018, 7:47 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

That happens when you are at the top of the pile. Great view

Oct 1, 2018, 7:50 PM

but you get everyone's best shot.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinda like Ray Guy showing up in opposing team uniform...

Oct 1, 2018, 8:28 PM

...every...frigging...time. It is a fact of life that we must accept.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,931
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic