Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just say Jawja has a rough day against the coots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,876

Just say Jawja has a rough day against the coots

Oct 8, 2019, 10:16 AM

And squeak by with a 21-20 win

Will ESPN and the media pundits break down Jawja down to a gnats r's like they did with the Tigers or just let it go like a bad fart and blame it on playing another "tough" SEC team

And we all know they won't drop any in the polls if it comes down to the last second

I don't expect it to be a close game so none of this is going to happen anyway

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First of all the "real" Carolina is better than uof5c...

Oct 8, 2019, 10:30 AM

Second, I think you answered your own question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Just say Jawja has a rough day against the coots

Oct 8, 2019, 10:38 AM

Naw!! They will just build Usuc up to being a tough team, like they did when Jawja won over ND by 6 points!!(just saying) GO TIGERS!!

Oct 8, 2019, 10:44 AM

I always see people make posts like this, and say the SEC teams don't get voted down when playing like we did last week. Can anyone give a recent example of a time where a top 5 SEC team won by 1 point to a team with a losing record and didn't lose any votes?

To answer your question though I could see them losing a spot or two in the rankings. They lost a first place vote this past week, and went from being #3 to being tied for #3 with Ohio State. Granted, I believe that had more to do with Ohio State moving up than Georgia moving down, but it doesn't support the argument of blind bias for the SEC.

Oct 8, 2019, 11:27 AM

This biggest problem with this argument is that most of the SEC teams are in the top 25. If there is ANY way to justify it, whoever is playing Bama, UGA, Auburn, or UF is bumped just into the top 25 the week of the game. That way,if by chance they pull off an upset, they can justify the loss vs a ranked team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 12:00 PM

There are 6 SEC teams in the current top 25. Which of them would you suggest doesn't deserve a top 25 ranking? Maybe A&M who is currently ranked at #24. On one hand they haven't beaten anyone of note this year, but their two losses are against the current #2, and #12 teams. Even if you think they don't deserve to be ranked, they've been in the top 25 all season, and wouldn't them being ranked benefit Clemson more than it would Alabama considering Alabama will have more games against ranked teams where Clemson may have Wake if they can manage to keep winning?

I don't see evidence to support your last statement, but let's entertain that thought for a moment. The AP poll is made up of writers from all over the country including those who cover other conferences. The same is true for the Coaches poll. Why would these writers and coaches from other conferences vote up a random SEC team into the top 25 just to benefit the SEC so one of their ranked teams wouldn't look as poorly if they happened to get upset?

Oct 8, 2019, 1:02 PM

Hey man, don’t let logic get in the way of tnets “sec bias” obsession.

Oct 8, 2019, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Just say Jawja has a rough day against the coots ]

I did a little research and you are right. I looked at Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and LSU from the last few season. The only example I can find that was suspect was in 2013. #1 Alabama lost to #4 Auburn by 12 points and only dropped 3 spots in the AP Poll. A double digit loss like that and they should have dropped more. Looking at the poll, there are one or two teams that could have been ahead of them. That said, it's head to quickly go back and get the pulse of every team's season when the vote happened.

What I did notice is when a ranked SEC lost to an unranked team, they typically dropped about 10 spots in the polls.

The difference is that when the SEC started winning again, they moved quickly back up the polls.

Oct 8, 2019, 11:17 AM

My honest expectation is that they would mention the UGA win quickly and move on.

They would then turn the page to how Florida may be in trouble coming off of a loss to LSU having to travel to a "surging" scar team.

The media is willing to shine a negative light on an SEC team only after they seem to be out of contention for a title.

They do it in a sneaky way however, as they set it up for if Florida beats scar then they are back in the race and should be a really tough test against undefeated and unbeatable UGA the next week.

Then if Florida beats UGA, they are tabbed as beating an unbeatable team and they are promptly placed back in the national title hunt.

This makes everyone totally forget that UGA almost lost to an average scar team and creates two "title contenders" from the SEC east.

The same round robin in the ACC typically gets played as "a bunch of average teams".

Oct 8, 2019, 12:20 PM

The ACC round robin gets played as a bunch of average team because that's what most of the other ACC teams have looked like OOC over the past 2 seasons.

FSU: Lost to Boise, and needed a missed extra point in overtime to beat UL Monroe
BC: Got blown out by Kansas the week after Kansas lost to Coastal Carolina
NC State: Lost to WV the week after WV got blown out by Missouri.
Syracuse: Got destroyed by a Maryland team that I'm pretty sure hasn't won a game since.
Louisville: 18 point loss to ND. Louisville looks improved this season, but they need more than that to gain respect after the season they had last year.

Wake: Is unbeaten OOC and overall, but outside of UNC their OOC includes a 3 point win over Utah State, Elon, and Rice.
UNC: Lost to App State
Miami: Actually a respectful looking loss to Florida in terms of margin of the loss, but they've looked like crap since then.
GT: Lost to Citadel and put up only 2 points in a loss to Temple.
UVA: Respectful close game against ND.
Duke: Blown out vs. Bama
Pitt: Actually respectful loss to Penn State and win over UCF although the UCF win doesn't look quite as impressive now. They also needed to come from behind to beat Delaware.
VT: No OOC losses, but only beat Furman by 7 points.

You can call it bias if you like, but the ACC has earned its current reputation. Seriously, what's the biggest OOC by an ACC team not named Clemson this year? The last two years? What's the best 3 wins?

Oct 8, 2019, 12:40 PM

clemson2003 You have a passion for calling the ACC out as well it should. But, please read the info on this link.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-best-conference-rankings-2019-non-conference-play-SEC-Big-Ten-Big-12--135731556/

I think you miss the point people are making particularly as it relates to the SECond conference. In the link provided "SURE" they have 1 more FBS win which is great. But, it isn't like they have an over .500 record either! Stop there: " people see SEC teams being mediocre average and sometimes unworthy of their rank; but b/c of "traditions and hype" they get the benefit of the doubt. The link I provided tells a story of the ACC as well being bad. I won't so far as to argue if it is or isn't(it is). I know the SEC isn't this top to bottom gauntlet it's made out to be either though. I think that's the narrative more so than; "the ACC is just as good as the SEC or anything like that"! Why mention ACC when it comes to SEC you may ask: "this is a Clemson support board and Clemson is in the ACC"! Naturally people don't want to buy the garbage a little google search or a few hours on Fall Saturday afternoons tells you is a false narrative about the SEC.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Just say Jawja has a rough day against the coots ]

I hear you, but what is the biggest OOC win for the SEC at this point?

I would say the Auburn win equals the Clemson win vs Texas A&M.

I know the end score is what matters, but Auburn looked outclassed for much of that game while Clemson looked to be on cruise control most of the A&M game.

If we judge solely on OOC wins then there should be little separation. I guess LSU over Texas is the only difference.

If we judge based on bad OOC losses then Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee should compare pretty evenly to some of the ACC's bad losses.

It's mostly the history of the leagues' teams that are creating the separation right now.

The SEC has a much more storied history in football and that makes it easier to recognize some of their average teams as good.

At the same time, everybody has seen FSU, Miami, and to a lesser extent VA Tech struggle this year so it must mean the ACC is terrible.

I know the SEC is the better league because they have between 2 and 4 contenders nationally and the ACC has 1. If it turns out that Florida and LSU are not as good as their current record, then the difference is not as great as is currently being portrayed.

Oct 9, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Just say Jawja has a rough day against the coots ]

Good review 2003.

Yup, the ACC shoots itself in the football. Outside of Clemson, they play inconsistent football. Frankly many ACC schedule soft OOC games, and then play like they don't take them serious and embarrass themselves. The Coastal is always up in the air because you never know who will play to their potential and who will decide to take a week off.

Oct 8, 2019, 11:21 AM

I’ll play along with that scenario and say that it will be billed as proof Scar is improving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 12:25 PM

Never seen a top ranked team win a close one and not take a media hit of some type. There may be a few talking heads talking Clemson down, but that usually only lasts a week .. or two if you have a BYE. Any other consequences are self induced ... emotional.

In the end, Clemson will go undefeated through the regular season and walk through the ACCCG. Just where they should be.

GA is a 23.5-25 pt favorite.

Oct 8, 2019, 12:46 PM

If they look unimpressive against SCar like they did against ND, I promise you they'll take a hit in the media.

Re: GA is a 23.5-25 pt favorite.

Oct 8, 2019, 12:57 PM

... if you can call a win against a team still in the top 10 unimpressive ... I will agree with you that if Georgia plays that way against SCu that it will take a hit.

Doesn't matter that ND was in the top 10. Everyone,

Oct 8, 2019, 1:13 PM

including me, expected GA to win that game going away. With that OL and stable of RBs they should have. ND is basically the same team we destroyed in the playoff last year. GA was at home, at night, with all that fanfare and hype, and ND had the ball for the win and simply ran out of time.

Absolutely it was unimpressive and it raised many eyebrows around the country. ND isn't that good. GA is a collection of great players with crap coaching.

Re: Doesn't matter that ND was in the top 10. Everyone,

Oct 8, 2019, 1:20 PM

They did ... I never bought into the 25 point spread. Was on record stating so.

Re: Doesn't matter that ND was in the top 10. Everyone,

Oct 8, 2019, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Doesn't matter that ND was in the top 10. Everyone, ]

This is a long season and lots can happen. Can't say how good ND is ... really wouldn't even bet on my Dawgs. The only sure bet out there right now is Clemson ... despite what happened against NC.

Re: GA is a 23.5-25 pt favorite.

Oct 8, 2019, 1:07 PM [ in reply to GA is a 23.5-25 pt favorite. ]

If they look unimpressive against SCar like they did against ND, I promise you they'll take a hit in the media.

Yep! Perception is everything in college football still. SEC opponent that's talented; gave them all they could handle will be the story. They will forget a lowly ACC team also beat that same SECond conference team on a neutral field let alone almost letting them beat you on your own field.

If not for the SEC bias, that would be catastrophic for

Oct 8, 2019, 1:34 PM

the Dawgs. Remember, the Coots LOST to the team that we barely squeaked by. If Jawja was to only beat them by a point or two, it would be really interesting to see the media spin cycle on that one!

It would have to be a Tim Allen Tool Time Bionic Powered Modified Washing Machine to make the Dawgs come out of that one smelling like a rose!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'd hear the same old stale b******t narrative...

Oct 8, 2019, 3:15 PM

that it's the $EC where there are no easy outs and teams have to bring their A-game every week, which, as everyone who follows college football knows, is a complete load.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: You'd hear the same old stale b******t narrative...

Oct 8, 2019, 3:38 PM

Exactly right BigCUFan® The narrative some counter-SEC is over rated posters on TNET try and push is: "who doing it better"? The problem is their winning percentage top to bottom isn't overwhelming in fact it isn't as good as the Big 10 or Big 12 in OOC games! They get a lot of credit for playing other: "over ranked teams"!

If that were the end of the story everyone would understand. But, Nicky Satan and company go on to win NC's so folks say: it's cause they are the best team from the best conference and they were shaped and molded to being so good! B.S. and a 44-16 whooping by a lowly ACC school disproved that overwhelmingly.

Any fans who don't have a soft spot for the SEC and who are also not Clemson fans will tell you the SEC is overrated! Big 10 fans say it the loudest. Followed by Big 12 fans. ACC folks pretty much know we have some issues. But some numbers suggest - anyway - will drop that. Pac 12 fans just call it B.S. going back to when politics allowed a 2 loss LSU to be co champs with USC who I believe only had 1 loss. Even SEC educated folks should know 1 is less than 2 but oh well. Been about he who has the largest fan ba$e/$upport $ince.

Oct 8, 2019, 7:10 PM

Yeah. And maybe have Notre Dame lose or squeak by sometime bad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2019, 7:49 PM

No one other than Georgia fans take Georgia seriously so no.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 2,876
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic