Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we

May 17, 2020, 4:40 PM

ever had as much talent at one time as that team? Johnson, Kirkland, McDaniel, Brewster, Simmons, Jackson, and Taylor along with the d-line killed minor harris.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope, maybe the best LB group in the history of college football.

May 17, 2020, 4:44 PM

edit: OK, not maybe... probably. Can't think of a better group ever, anywhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Unquestionably

May 17, 2020, 5:16 PM

I have said for years, and will continue to say that the 1989 to 1990 Clemson defense was the best I have ever seen. Defensive brutality is what it was, and the best LB corps in history, period. If we would have had ANY offensive ingenuity, we would have won the NC and been undefeated.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we

May 17, 2020, 5:20 PM

that was the best defense in college football - ever

imho

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

May 17, 2020, 5:40 PM

And we lost to frickin Duke that year plus an inexplicable loss to Tech

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2020, 6:00 PM

and we started that year with a pay back game against FSU in Tallahassee, revenge for the "Punt Rooskie" in DV the year before. I wasn't there, but I'll never forget a camera man catching Coach Ford jogging off the field after the thrashing with a sly grin on his face and his tongue in his cheek. Just beautiful. The next year's bowl game after Hatfield's first year (cough, cough...) we played Illinois and nobody gave us a chance, and we stuffed them 30-0. IMHO, the greatest defense Clemson has ever put on the field, and that's saying something.

GO TIGERS!!!

May 18, 2020, 11:46 AM

Terry Allen could not be stopped that night. It was great payback. I was at the puntrooskie game. If fact I was close to where the tackle was made to prevent a touchdown.

I believe that if Danny had called a timeout Bobby Bowden would have punted. But that’s something we will never know. Just a hunch by a die hard Tiger fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2020, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we ]

No offense, Steve Spurrier, Cuthbert a tough sob - it was a bad day!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 11:31 AM

Hence the previous comment about our lack of ingenouity on offense. Chuck Reedy and Danny too, literally dropped the ball in the Duke loss. I don't remember the GA Tech game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 11:53 AM

Some of that Duke lose has to be put on the the defense to. Really this loss was due to the play on both sides of the ball. Clemson played with little emotion and seemed to never get out of first gear.

I believe that that Duke team shared the ACC title that year. Then Spurrier bolted for FU where they still think of him as some kind of football God.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

May 18, 2020, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we ]

Clemson just never seemed to be mentally in the game. Plus the weather was nasty
And wet. I could tell by the way the defense was playing it did not look good for the Tigers.

We did make up for it by eating Major Harris for dinner that night. By halftime Harris’s momma was telling the announcers that her son should take himself out because no one was blocking for him. She was fired up.

Well Ms. Harris it’s impossible to stop a freight train dressed in Orange! ?? The Tiger D was unstoppable that night. And our offense was clicking on all 8 cylinders.

May 17, 2020, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we ]

I was at the Duke game.

Everything went wrong, like an interception that was fumbled back to them and two dbs going for an interception, blocking each other, and the receiver catches it for a long gain/td.

and the offense had a lot of penalties and could never get out of its own way.

May 17, 2020, 9:35 PM

2 interceptions fumbled back. I was there. It was gut wrenching.

May 18, 2020, 11:36 AM

Yet we still maintained possession on 5 others didn't we? I know we got credit for 5 interceptions. Anyway, the difference in the game was our insistence on running the ball every down and punting for 80% of our second half possessions. Duke wasn't afraid to throw the ball and that was the difference in the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2020, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we ]

That Saturday it poured rain all across the southeast and there were several big upsets. It just had that kind of feel. The rain was a big equalizer even though you would think it might favor a ground and pound attack over a Spurrier team. It was always hard to run the option in the rain.

May 18, 2020, 11:43 AM

You're right, it is hard to run the option in ankle deep water & mud but our coaches at the time believed they could overcome that. They were sadly mistaken. Coach Ford will always be appreciated,and even worshiped by some, and deserves every bit of adoration he receives but he beat himself that day.

May 18, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Just finished up the '89 Gator Bowl. At linebacker, have we ]

I had a bad feeling about the weather too. I was afraid it would have an affect on Clemson’s game plan and their play that day. After ther first half I had that gut feeling we were going to lose. The team just never seemed to get any motivation or enthusiasm, it was as if they were going through the motions. I believe if we had not lost to Tech and Duke in 89 we could have 1 mine National Championship Trophy in our case. Our defense was lights out that year. It’s possible had Danny stayed we could have won the NC in 1990 to.

Thank you Max Lennon for bringing down the Tiger football program by getting rid of Danny Ford. You sir set the program back many years,

Thank you Tommy Bowden for developing a great foundation for Dabo Sweeney to build an Elite program.

May 17, 2020, 8:11 PM

I watched that one a week or 2 ago as well. The broadcasters made a comment late in the game along the lines of “with the returning players and young talent Clemson has coming back next season, the Tigers could be a title contender in 1990.”
I had never watched that game, fully, before, and it felt weird hearing comments like that knowing what was to come.

Last night’s selection; 1991 NCSU at Clemson. Purple jerseys! Tim Brant is a ###### :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2020, 11:09 PM

I'm pretty sure Ashley Sheppard was on that team too. Freshman season?

I think .....it was 89 and my dad took us to a game

May 17, 2020, 11:37 PM

I think it was Duke and we were sitting on the hill. He forgot the tickets at home in Canton NC, and had to go and meet my grandpa in Hendersonville to grab the tickets. We all sat on the blanket in the tailgate spot and had chicken and played catch until he got back. He got back in time for the game and felt so bad, he bought me a jersey that day. One of the ones with the mesh at the bottom. It was amazing day. Great memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think .....it was 89 and my dad took us to a game

May 18, 2020, 1:14 PM

Duke was away that year.

May 18, 2020, 11:24 AM

wasnt that the game where someone was afraid we'd kill their baby? ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup. They interviewed Momma Harris on sideline in 3rd qtr

May 18, 2020, 11:55 AM

and she said her baby was running for his life. The o-line needed to do their jobs.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game (a CU senior at the time)

May 18, 2020, 12:18 PM

That was one of the most fun nights I ever had (at least to that point) as a Clemson fan - either that game or the one in Tallahassee earlier that year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic