Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just Watched OSU-Wisconsin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Just Watched OSU-Wisconsin

Dec 21, 2019, 5:47 PM

We should be able to handle OSU just fine.

Our biggest challenge will be on defense..... they have a very good O-line and receivers, including a very good TE who will probably cause us some problems on seam/post routes. We'll want t5o try to use a 4-front on all downs, but our secondary will have their hands full and I think we'll need a good plan with the 3-down front and Isaiah Simmons in nickel-mode on 3rd down - which will risk QB scrambles for long gains..... we'll just have to pick our poison and try to win more than we lose.

Our offense should carve their secondary into thin-sliced bacon and fry them until they're crispy.

Their D-line is pretty good, but not spectacular and Chase Young being a problem is the figment of someone's imagination.... he's fairly good, but he had very little impact against Wisconsin. On run plays, they ran right at him and cut behind him toward the middle successfully. Sometimes they ran away from him, but some of Wisconsin's best run plays were run right at him and for the most part he was handled by one O-lineman, no matter whether he set up right or left side. There were very few times he was effective as a pass rusher. At least once, Wisconsin let him through on a pass play and hit the back over his head for a long gain. He can be had and we'll make him ineffective.

Some of OSU's players are not well-disciplined and may draw penalties for roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct.

Once we deal with OSU (and I think we will), that leaves LSU. I think we'll swat them as well, so I believe another CFB Championship is right around the corner!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just Watched OSU-Wisconsin

Dec 22, 2019, 6:52 AM

Good assessment here. Tigers roll big!

Dec 22, 2019, 10:49 AM

Our offense should carve their secondary into thin-sliced bacon and fry them until they're crispy.

Their secondary has three or four members who are projected to go in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. And they are all 6 fett or over.

I think we will find ways to get people open on crossing routes and quick slants against their average linebackers. And I think we will find a way to get the ball downfield occasionally. But slice them up - not so much - This is the #1 match-up in the game.

Dec 22, 2019, 11:33 AM

There safeties are just average and Michigan carved their secondary up.

Dec 22, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Just Watched OSU-Wisconsin ]

I agree they have 3 CBs who will go in the 1st or 2nd round, but they'll need more than that. I also agree we'll burn their LBs. The problem for them will come when we have 4 WRs on the field. Our 2s & 9s will occupy those CBs, while the slot eats up the LBs and safeties.

If we can get the run game going with Etienne and Trevor (and I think we can), when they bring down the safeties, we'll see how good those CBs really are..... I don't think they've seen what they're about to see.

Schedule

Dec 22, 2019, 11:41 AM

I'm not all that impressed with their schedule. People talk about ours because we didn't have ranked opponents. OSU had ranked opponents that i.m.o should not have been ranked. Like the SEC Big 10 teams often get - "a bloated ranking"! Penn State was just okay - but not in the league with OSU and they played with them for a little bit in that game. The same Penn St. an average Pitt team had dead to right at Beaver Stadium. But, of course, they got a pass for escaping against a lowly ACC team! Much like Georgia didn't get hammered for losing to a team "AT HOME" who lost to a lowly ACC team!

All that is to say - I think Ohio State is very good. Very talented but how will they react when someone can run with them? How will they react when they suddenly don't have a foot speed/size and quickness advantage? Wisconsin is one dimensional and nearly beat them! None of this guarantees Clemson anything of course. They might react well and handle the moment. Or they might not handle it well at all. Our core group of players have been there either on the field or on the sideline and will be able to handle a equally talented opponent and be able to adjust to it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic