Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Migrating south to a new beach for our crew...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 370

Migrating south to a new beach for our crew...

Jun 6, 2016, 2:59 PM

We've done Holden Beach in NC for 50 some years, and are moving the extended family trip down to Fripp this year.

Any local knowledge, suggestions and/or bar/restaurant calls? Any can't miss places in Beaufort?

much grass

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

lowcountry produce in beaufort

Jun 6, 2016, 3:01 PM

a lot of the bay street area of beaufort is cool
definitely hit hunting island
shrimp shack used to be good, but have not been in long time

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Johnson Creek Tavern is pretty good

Jun 8, 2016, 5:45 PM

Not fancy, but decent eats reasonably priced. You'll pass it on the left just before you get to Hunting Island (if it hasn't washed away by then.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HAY I'M GOING TO FRIPP THIS YEAR TOO!

Jun 6, 2016, 3:07 PM

A few things....

Bite the bullet and rent a golf cart. Trust me on this.

Mule in your food, beer, likker, hookers, blow, and the like. It's a long fugging ways back to the g-store in Beaufort. Ideally you'll not have to drive there one single time.

I think there are restaurants there butt I've never even attempted to go to one. My assumption is that you will wait way too long in line and get a "meh" meal.

Bar? Lol. The whole place pretty much shuts down at about dark:45.

There's a golf course there that's over $100. It's a very decent course.

You can catch crabs there if you take the right stuff and figure it out. Literally. Like animal crabs from the ocean kinda crabs. Prolly CANNOT catch hooker crabs unless you bring it with you.

They have swimming pools, tennis courts, etc. around there too. You have to pay for access though...and your place may or may not have the access. In other words, if the home owners do not have access to passes you are out of luck. If they do they may have included in the price of your home if not you'll have to pay extra.

Fripp is a solid place to relax, unplug, hang out with fam, and get rest. Not much else going on.

And deer. You will see deer there.

We'll be down there for a weekend at the end of July

Jun 6, 2016, 3:15 PM

if a certain infrequent poster on this here board makes things happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have to feel almost positively certain that you're

Jun 6, 2016, 3:24 PM

NOT talking about Tony Orlando.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude. We could TOTALLY be there at the same time.

Jun 6, 2016, 3:25 PM [ in reply to We'll be down there for a weekend at the end of July ]

Looking forward to meeting your wife's ####.

Me too.

Jun 6, 2016, 3:41 PM

By my count, that's one for each of us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah umm that's ghana make motorboatin tough

Jun 6, 2016, 3:42 PM

unless we take turns lending one to each other. We can twerk it out over a 1.75 of OFC.

Lots of good food in Beaufort.

Jun 6, 2016, 3:08 PM

Saltus River Grill, Hemingway's and Emily's are the places I remember off the top of my head that were good. Fripp and Beaufort are both a little too retiree-friendly for me, they all roll the streets up at dark and no bands, but a great area overall if you;re going to kick back and decompress for a week.

And if you get in trouble, one of my close friends is a magistrate down there.

second on saltus

Jun 6, 2016, 3:28 PM

you must have skipped plum's for the night life.

quaint little cafe at lunch and lazers and DJ's and molly at night.

Since I don't play the turntables, I skip any venues that

Jun 6, 2016, 3:31 PM

feature DJs.

basically marines and USC-B sloots

Jun 6, 2016, 3:49 PM

you didn't miss anything.

Steamer on Lady's Island

Jun 6, 2016, 3:09 PM

eat Frogmore Stew where it was invented.

https://foursquare.com/v/steamers-oyster--steakhouse/4bf71e278d30d13a6a75fe17/menu

and don't get in a hurry the last 10 miles. It's a slow go. You WILL get behind a 1970's era station wagon with a couple of fishing poles hanging out the side window doing 35mph.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Le lunge delivers... TIL:

Jun 6, 2016, 3:28 PM

1) bring provisions... avoid grocery (always a good beach plan)
2) didn't get hosed... house has golf cart and amenity cards
3) go to Beaufort on a cloudy day and/or if it rains. Once.
4) Crabbing will be the most stressful activity of the week. nice.
5) Hunting Island for an adventure

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

you forgot about the hookers and blow and molly

Jun 6, 2016, 3:31 PM

All keys to a successful family vacation

Hmm... headed to Red Rocks the following weekend***

Jun 6, 2016, 3:38 PM

null

Also a cool thing to do one night...

Jun 6, 2016, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Le lunge delivers... TIL: ]

Hwy 21 Drive In.

hwy21drivein.com

are you ICT's scok?

Jun 7, 2016, 8:11 AM

grew up going to Holden Beach every June. Went from there to Hilton Head in the 90's when I was actually good at golf and a bit more social. Now I go to Fripp every year or two (mostly every year). If you're looking for places to hang out and be social, Fripp's probably not gonna quench your thirst. If you're looking to spend some time on the beach, at the Marsh, feeding deer, and fishing/crabbing without many people bugging you, you'll probably love it.

Top Ten Suggestions-
#1) Bring a bag of shelled corn, keep a big cup of it in your golf cart, and just ride around. The deer will eat out of your hand. People will call you a white trash redneck behind your back, but you'll have a good time, so fuck em. You'll probably also spot a few gators, especially in the ponds around Ocean Creek, so if your wife has a yappy lap dog or an incontinent cocker spaniel, now is the time to throw the fetch toy over to the gator and watch snack time commence. The house I go to is on the marsh, and has a private back yard with a screened in porch, so I also put the corn out around the back of the porch and sit back there and drink and watch deer and coons (no offense, Obed) eat at night.

#2) As far as restaurants go- there are only 2 on the island (Springtide and Bonito Boathouse), and neither is really worth it in my opinion. You will hear alot of people say Shrimp Shack, but I was underwhelmed there too. Bella Luna is a good way inland, but my one trip was a positive experience. Most people go all the way back to Beaufort and eat at Saltus or Breakwater. Dockside was decent for me too, but I got drunk so who knows.

#3) Golf- there are two courses on Fripp- Ocean Point is a beachfront golf course- excellent course, very difficult on a windy day. Ocean Creek is a Davis Love III design on the Marsh- some scenes from Forrest Gump in Vietnam were filmed there. Both courses and all restaurants on the island require having an amenity card (which I see you have).

#4) Fishing and crabbing. There are several locations- pier at Hunting Island, bridge leading to the Davis love golf course, crabbing docks in Sawgrass subdivision and Fiddlers Ridge subdivision, pier at skull inlet, or of course, bring or charter a boat.

#5) Tennis and bike riding- I do neither, but lots of people there do.

#6) oh yeah, there is a beach with strange milf teddies and debutante 20 yr old teddies who are there with daddy warbucks. Also, if desperate, common wife teddies will suffice- although, since you said you've been beach going for 50 years, that may not be as exciting for you anymore.

#7) drunk

#8) boardwalk and kayaking in marsh/ponds on Hunting Island

#9) If you hunt, and you are going during deer season, PM me and I will tell you about a nearby public land honey hole that very few people know about.

#10) take the milk out of the freezer.

YMFW

We like Fripp a lot....

Jun 7, 2016, 8:28 AM

As mentioned, it's a haul 20+ minute haul from there to a real grocery store, so bring a lot of food or make a big food run once settled. There is a small store close to Fripp, but has limited grocery at twice the normal price.

There are a few restaurants on Fripp. Main one is Bonito Boathouse. Every person will have to have an amenities card to eat there. I think the food is pretty good...a little pricey, but not too bad. Shrimp and Grits are good there.

They've got a decent little food court at the main pool.

Our favorite place to hang out is at the Cabana Club. It's more secluded, more scenic, and normally less crowded than the main pool. Bar there is pretty good too. They've got good lunch food too.

Our kids love looking at the deer and we normally spend a lot of time just cruising around in the golf cart(s) looks at deer and gators when not at beach or pool.

Right off of Fripp (on Harbor Island) is Johnson Creek Tavern. It's not bad...not great...but closer than driving into town. It's almost always slammed.

@HuntFishTigers @Flow0440 ... Thx for the 411!***

Jun 8, 2016, 5:04 PM

null

Message was edited by: TheBull®

null

Replies: 20
| visibility 370
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic