Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
January 1, 1951............
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

January 1, 1951............

Jan 1, 2019, 2:29 PM

the Chinese Army had came across the Yalu River a couple of months earlier and part of our company left Pyongyang, North Korea, and went down to Pusan, South Korea, arriving there on Dec. 8, 1950. On the morning of Jan. 1, 1951, three of us WW2 veterans were called to the Orderly Room and told to pack our gear, we were going on a long ride. Frankly, that was not Happy New Year news. Well, that long ride was back up to the 38th. Parallel. The Chinese Army had recaptured Seoul and portions of the northern part of South Korea but our forces were in the process of driving them back across the border.

I don't recall if we were informed where we would be going, why we were going, how long we would be gone and the outfit we would be joining. We did know if would be TDY (Temporary Duty) which meant at the conclusion of TDY we would return to our company. Upon arrival at our final destination, we learned we would be assigned to a Combat Engineering Company and the reason for our assignment to this company was because the three of us had engineering degrees. We now knew the where, why and who. The only thing lacking was the "how long". I don't recall the exact length we were on TDY but it was probably about eight to ten weeks.

The thing I remember most about those eight to ten weeks was the temperature. Never did it get above freezing and the lowest temperature was minus 35 F. From a temperature standpoint, that was the most miserable point in my life. I don't recall ever getting to the point where I felt truly warm.

What a far cry from those days to my sitting here at my keyboard enjoying the heat supplied from my heat pump. Looking back over the years, isn't it strange how things of that nature now seem insignificant in the scheme of things? Life may not be a bed of roses but it sure beats friends and families viewing the roses that may be adorning your casket.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: January 1, 1951............

Jan 1, 2019, 2:37 PM

Joe, It's amazing that you guys made it through that weather without suffering some permanent damage. Having worked in 19 below temperatures I know that anything expose for a short length of time can become painful. God Bless you man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 2:41 PM

I think of my dad, who served in the Korean War, when you tell your stories of places like Pyongyang, Pusan, and the Yalu. He was still a young man, and I was years away from making an appearance in this world. Thanks for sharing your life's experiences with us.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 1, 2019, 3:02 PM

certainly NOT insignificant !! thank you, my friend, for your service, and for protecting our freedom

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 3:06 PM

We appreciate your service and sacrifice

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 3:10 PM

Meanwhile Clemson beat Miami 15-14 in the Orange Bowl that same day. You were the much bigger hero!

Jan 1, 2019, 3:33 PM

I am very impressed by your service to our country. Thank you, sir!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 3:37 PM

Great story. I'm in awe of Korean vets for pressing on in spite of the extreme cold in that country, I once worked with a man who was one of only 11 men out of his Marine rifle company to walk out of the Chosin reservoir. Tough as nails

Jan 1, 2019, 3:40 PM

Thank you Joe. Thank you.

Jan 1, 2019, 3:40 PM

Joe, my dad was there (with the 187th RCT) this time as well. He absolutely hated the cold there. Called it the most miserable he had ever been. He also said the lice were equally bad as the cold!

I have a photo of him on a march - carrying a LOT of gear, and the entire background and surroundings were solid white - from snow/ice. One of my favorites, but certainly not his!

Thanks again ESPECIALLY for your service; and also for your memories, stories and anecdotes!

Happy New Year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 2, 2019, 2:57 PM

November 1950 --- We were in Pyongyang and the temperature hovered around Zero and !0 F. Of course there were no facilities for a shower and no enclosure for heat. We were in an unfinished apartment building but there were open windows and no heat. A couple of guys decided they would brave the cold and take a bath. They built a fire and heated some water. We had P-75 trailer mounted power units. Gas engines were used to generate power. The two guys cranked up one of the power units and stood by the engine exhaust to get a little warmth. Every one else was laughing their heads off at the two guys. That surely had to be one of the quickest baths in recorded history. And when it was all over, they were the only two in our group of about 50 - 60 men who had lice. It's quite possible the rest of us were so dirty and smelled so bad the lice decided we were not fit to be their hosts.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love your stories Joe. 68 years later, the world has changed

Jan 1, 2019, 3:47 PM

a whole lot in those few precious years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 3:55 PM

Thanks Joe !

Thanks Joe for reminding me what a blessing it is to...

Jan 1, 2019, 4:24 PM

...be in a comfortable home with my family today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 10:51 PM

I remewmber Dad telling me when he got back from the ETO in May 1945, their family doctor told him that the 38 months he was over there would affect him the rest of his life. Dr. George Miller was right about that. Dad made it to 89+ having PTSD(not really diagnosed then), and various other things affecting his health.

That tough old man didn't use ANY VA benefits until he was 84, and I had to convince him he deserved every consideration.

Jan 2, 2019, 6:57 AM

Joe,

I love your stories. I have studied WWI, WWII, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, Grenada and all of the conflicts we have been in since the Revelationary War.

But The Korean War has always been somewhat of a mystery, because it was not documented like WWII. Do you think McAurthur over played his hand depending on the use of tactical nukes as a back up or was he incompetent, arrogant or to over confident. From everything I read his intelligence kept telling him Chinese were crossing the border. Did he just ignore it or was he really surprised the Chinese intervened.

I know we lost many many good men at the Chosen Reservoir, the Yalu River and others in areas in North Korea because of extremely cold weather, the Chinese and lack of medical care available so far up north. It seems our commanders let our lines get stretched way to thin. If it were not for the courage of the American Soldiers we would have lost many more.

How much of the loses in North Korea do you blame on General McAurthur, President Truman and other top commanders?? Do you think the Korean War was winnable? How much of an impact Did President Eisenhower’s election influence peace negotiations??

I would love your first hand input from someone who was their. Keep writing those stories they are fascinating but more important it gives younger generations more and more appreciation for men such as yourself who became heroes just doing their job as they saw it.

Thank you so much for your service and sacrifice for the South Koreans as well as the United States. You are a True Hero in my eyes!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 4:15 PM

You probably know much more about the written reports of the Korean War than I do. In a war zone, news is scarce and the boy who usually delivers our paper at home was too young to gain permission to enter the area where we were. In the military, scuttlebutt is the source of most of our news so it's difficult to know what is fact and what's fiction. My personal opinion is Gen. McArthur was a bit arrogant. Reports we heard re the Chinese crossing the border, was he thought they were wrong. I don't know the real truth.

The three of us WW2 veterans who joined our company at the same time concluded the atmosphere was totally different than what we had experienced during WW2. Whether that was due to The Military or Political climate, I don't know. The men in our company did not appear to be as well trained as those in WW2 and the overall leadership seemed to be lacking. The three of us entered WW2 with fighting in progress and a different mindset. Most of the officers and men were serving in a relative peace-tine situation before the war broke out in Korea. I did not see the problem in our company but comments I have read in books re the war indicated many in the higher commands were relieved of their duties due to alcoholism. The book was loaned to me by a neighbor and I don't recall the title. It was thoroughly documented and included the names and command of those who were canned.

There was also discussion with Military and Political leaders re our chasing the North Korean forces back across the border and stop, or. continue the chase until total defeat. We chose to continue the chase and this was the decision that apparently led the Chinese to enter the war. Now, this is hairy re the intelligence reports, whether it was ignored or the number of Chinese troops were in error. But the fact remains, hordes of Chinese crossed the Yalu River and our numbers were no match.

I did not arrive in Korea until late October, and joined Team "C" of my company in Pyongyang about Nov. 1, about the time the Chinese were entering the war.

Joe, heres hoping those roses wait a long time more for you.

Jan 2, 2019, 8:49 AM

All younger generations need reminders that freedom is most definitely not free. Your stories help drive that point home with every one you tell. Keep on telling them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 8:54 AM

Joe - Thank you so much for your service! Had an uncle who served in Korea - the cold was unbelievable. All Americans should know that it’s thanks to veterans like you that we can enjoy our everyday comforts!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 2, 2019, 9:07 AM

Hey Joe, thanks for your service. Do you know Clemson Grad, William Funchess? He was at the Yalu River in November 1950 when the Chinese crossed the river. He notified command allowing time to relocate while he and his men provided cover. He was eventually wounded and captured and spent the rest of the war as a POW. He often talks about how cold it was that first winter he was a captive. The sacrifices all of service men and women are greatly appreciated.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 3:06 PM

Yes, I know Bill. We both live in Clemson and we've been close friends for many years, he has published a book re his experiences as a POW. Bill had a remarkable memory for minute details. The hardships they endured for three years will blow one's mind. He gave me one of his books.

Jan 2, 2019, 9:10 AM

Joe21®, you should write a book that includes all of your unique experiences. I love reading about them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 3:30 PM

I have enough material re my experiences during WW2 and the Korean War to fill a book. I was not on the front line. On purpose, I have limited my stories to the comical and personal things that occurred. I was not allowed to keep a written diary so all of my stories are based on memory and after many years, my memory has a lot of blanks. Once in awhile, an incident may generate a recall so I keep editing my stories. A book written by one of my WW2 company mates (long ago deceased) and given to me by his daughter, refreshed my memory re certain events. By the same token, I was able to add to some of his stories and make some corrections. Re the Korean War, I am in contact (Letters, emails and personal visits) with a former company mate. We have been able to verify certain events. But the Korean War was entirely different from WW2. In Korea, I was with my current contact for about 45 days. A contact who now lives in Scotland provided me with photos and dates of certain events.

During WW2, unless on a special mission, I was with the rewainder of my company at all times. During the Korean War, I was never with the entire company. Our companty was composed of five teams, each team assigned to a division or other military unit. At times during the Korean War I was with 3, 6, 10 - 12 or 20 men. When I went back to Japan in the spring of 1951, 4 of our 5 teams were there but the teams were not at full strength. We had lost some men and a lot of equipment. This was the largest group of company members I was ever with.

Jan 2, 2019, 4:21 PM

WOW...how have I missed your posts through the years??? Thank you for your service and for sharing.....

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic