Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jalen Hurts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Jalen Hurts

Sep 1, 2019, 9:01 PM

Is a one trick pony. Immediately bails from the pocket when someone gets within 5 feet

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jalen Hurts

Sep 1, 2019, 9:07 PM

He’s 12-14 with 154 yards 2 TDs and almost 100 yards rushing... Sometimes I wonder if people on here just say they suck because they don’t have a Clemson jersey on.

Sep 1, 2019, 9:13 PM

Did I say he sucked? I said one dimensional, which he is.

Sep 1, 2019, 9:43 PM

He has 244 yards and 120+ rushing to start the 3rd with 3 TDs in what world is that one dimensional? He’s been lights out all day minus a strip.

Sep 1, 2019, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Jalen Hurts ]

Do you see how wide open his receivers are? He’s not throwing into tight windows here.

Sep 1, 2019, 10:22 PM

He has SIX TDs... Now almost 500 yards he’s accountable for, wide open or not he’s been dominant all game.

Sep 2, 2019, 12:29 AM

He has and he did look again against UGA last year but tonight Houston's D made it easy for him. He was impressive and the play calling is great but that D was one of the worst last year and still is this year.

Sep 1, 2019, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Jalen Hurts ]

He is good. He flushes quick because he can run so good.

Sep 1, 2019, 9:15 PM

While he is throwing the ball well, the UH defense isn’t making it all that hard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Sep 1, 2019, 9:21 PM

Hurts IS throwing the ball well BUT he IS a run-first guy when the D can get pressure on him. He will likely end up with great stats this season (barring injury).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2019, 9:21 PM

Take away the run, the short passes and don’t leave guys WIDE OPEN downfield. Hurts is a phenomenal athlete that will make some plays but he is not elite passer. Very beatable.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2019, 12:19 PM

So you're saying if a defense can take away the run, take away the short passes, and take away the long passes they can stop Jalen Hurts?? ;)

All joking aside, Jalen Hurts has always been able to perform well against lower quality defenses, and he is a great runner against even top tier defenses. The problem is that he gets flustered and doesn't go through his progressions when the defense gets pressure on him. I don't think it's so much an issue with accuracy as it is with pressure. He can throw the ball great when no one is getting to him. Unless something has changed this year, his game will suffer significantly against defenses with a good pass rush.

That being said, I am pulling for Hurts to have a good year at OU. I certainly don't want him to become the 3rd straight Sooner QB to win the Heisman given Etienne and Lawrence's chances, but I do want him to have a good year. I have a lot of respect for him for sticking it out at Bama after he lost the starting job to Tua despite only losing 2 games in his career. What he did against UGA in the SEC Championship coming off the bench to lead Bama to a come from behind victory was inspiring.

Also, let's not overlook the fact that even though Houston's defense is far from good, any QB that manages to produce these numbers is darn good.

Passing: 20-23 for 332 yards with 3 TDs (87% completions)
Rushing: 16 carries for 176 yards and 3 TDs (11 yards per carry)

There has only been one other QB to pass for 300 yards and rush for 150 yards. That player was Heisman winner Johnny Manziel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good one.??

Sep 2, 2019, 12:38 PM

What I’m saying is that he’s not the best passer in the world. He won’t beat you if you force him to beat you with his arm. Not great on the deep ball if coverage is there unlike say Trevor Lawrence for instance. I like the guy. He’s a great athlete but I don’t see him having much of a future in the NFL. Lincoln Riley is a genius so I have no doubt he will be drafted but his problems are similar to what we had with Kelly Bryant although he is better than KB.

Re: Good one.??

Sep 2, 2019, 12:46 PM

I agree with that assessment completely. I've never felt like he was a future NFL QB, and even with great numbers this year, I likely won't change my mind given the quality of Big 12 defenses.

I think he can beat the lower quality defenses even if he has to do it with his arm, but against a good defense he will have to rely on his running ability. Our defense in 2016 was certainly really talented, but all of Bama's 3rd down failures were made easier since Hurts couldn't throw the ball downfield accurately under pressure.

I agree that KB and Hurts are similar. I personally think Hurts is a better runner, but neither KB nor Hurts has proven to be able to throw the ball downfield well unless his receivers have a lot of separation. With KB I always felt like he was too gun shy to throw the ball into tight coverage.

He looks pretty amazing to me, he has only ever lost 2X

Sep 1, 2019, 9:52 PM

in games he started. If he was one dimensional, wouldn't teams be able to figure it out and stop him?

One of the games he lost took a LEGENDARY performance by our very own Deshaun Watson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Sep 1, 2019, 9:53 PM

Texas is going to destroy Jalen

Doubtful. Texas is near the bottom of the country in

Sep 2, 2019, 8:57 AM

returning defensive production from last year. Their defense got gutted.

Sep 1, 2019, 10:16 PM

Hurts is playing as well as you can ask of a QB. If my QB can get 11 YPC I would want him to run alot too.

Sep 1, 2019, 10:32 PM

I’ve been saying for 3 years now that Jalen Hurts is a running back who can throw versus a quarterback who can run. Will he make it in the Sunday league - doubt it, but he is a force to be reckoned with at the college level.

Sep 2, 2019, 1:11 AM

“Hurts” to say it, but JH will probably win the Heisman this year. He plays in a conference that supports video game numbers. Media will continue to talk about how he left Bama without truly reaching his full potential. Would not also be surprised if the Sooners and Bama square off in the playoffs. That story will be one of the top ones associated with this season. I just hope our boys pull a hat trick because that story, similar to last year’s 15-0 run will stand up to the test of time.

Sep 2, 2019, 12:40 PM

I really hope this is finally our year to get our first Heisman with the potential of Lawrence or Etienne, but you're right that Jalen Hurts would make a good story in the media. As much as I like Hurts, but I don't want an OU QB to win the Heisman for a 3rd straight year even if a Clemson player doesn't win it.

I would LOVE to have the chance to see Hurts lead OU versus Tua and Bama. That would be an epic storyline and a potentially great game if the Sooners can field a defense that is just mediocre as opposed to atrocious.

Houston was not a test. Tougher Dlines coming.***

Sep 2, 2019, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

When? In the playoff? There are no Dlines in the big XII***

Sep 2, 2019, 8:57 AM

He's going to win the Heisman because nobody in that

Sep 2, 2019, 8:58 AM

conference can stop him. Big XII has the softest front 7s in the country and there's almost no pressure on any QB in that conference. Clean pockets all night and plenty of space to run into when the QB takes off.

Re: He's going to win the Heisman because nobody in that

Sep 2, 2019, 9:12 AM

If Hurts wins the Heisman, it will be because of the story line.

"the first _____ since ____"

Sep 2, 2019, 11:03 AM

He had a historic performance and somehow it's twisted into a negative. Just wow.

Why don't we wait until they play a few games before jumping to conclusions? Considering this was his first outing on a new team, he was spectacular!

The only losable games on OU's schedule are UT in a few weeks and UT again in the Little 12 championship. Those will define Hurts. (I don't believe OSU has the horses this year).

Their defense has a ways to go and will probably be their downfall again. UT could beat them both times.

Sep 2, 2019, 11:33 AM

I think a 98.7 QBR and going 20-23 and 332 yards means he stays in the pocket enough! Can't make a blanket statement about him taking off and running. The data doesn't support it. He is a good passer who also runs like a running back! Say what you will about Houston's defense but it's still hard to be 20-23. One would think your off target on at least a few! But, no.

I give Hurts the credit due! Playing in Lincoln Riley's offense will be great for him. He has the skill set to play in it.
Good passer!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2019, 11:34 AM

20-23 for 332....176 yds rushing. That’s awesome I don’t care if you playing Academic Magnet HS. Those are video game #s that make Lamar Jackson blush! I’d say he’s out to a huge head start in the Heisman race....and Lincoln Riley will give him every opportunity to stay out front . Long way to go..but it’s jalen’s to lose after week one.

Sep 2, 2019, 11:43 AM

One games doesn't make any decisions . . . you want TL rated on his first game only?

Sep 2, 2019, 12:34 PM

In his post-game interview with Holly Rhodes(?), he insisted that he was not satisfied with his performance or the team's performance, and they must get better. He would not smile for her even at her request. He appeared to be disappointed in how they performed, even in the win.

Hurts is fine and will compete with Texas for the Big 12 Championship. If they win the Big 12, Hurts will play in the CFP.

Sep 2, 2019, 12:35 PM

Wild how people see only what they want to see. The kid is a great runner always has been but he has noticeably improved in passing. I think people are still allowed to improve right, he is better in reading defense, was going through progressions, pocket presence and seemed more accurate a passer.

IF Jalen Hurts gets this team to the playoffs and IF he wins it, he will go down as the best college player in history. Pretty impressive for a one trick pony.

Sep 2, 2019, 12:39 PM

Hurts is an upgraded version of Kelly Bryant

Sep 2, 2019, 12:43 PM

Texas will expose him once a for all. Who cares what you do against a Houston defense

Sep 2, 2019, 9:18 PM

This is a negative post about a historic performance, but at least it makes some sense.

It won't just be Jalen Hurts under the microscope against UT: Their new O-line and defense will be truly tested.

I think OU loses twice to the same team this year and misses the CFP.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic