Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jadeveon Clowney still top draft pick?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 962

Jadeveon Clowney still top draft pick?

Oct 8, 2013, 9:52 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--jadeveon-clowney-still-top-draft-pick--nfl-exec---i-d-be-scared-to-death-to-take-him--with-top-10-pick-221240941.html

Only a few weeks ago, Jadeveon Clowney was known as the most feared pass rusher in college football. He made highlights with his hits and headlines with his comments about how he saw worry in quarterbacks' eyes.

Now he's stirring up a more subtle concern: Is he no longer a surefire top pick in a 2014 NFL draft that looks to be heavy on QBs?

The South Carolina defensive end has had a sporadic season, with illnesses, a foot ailment, and a rib injury that sidelined him last week against Kentucky. His conditioning and his commitment have been questioned in a way that's new for a pro prospect who was assumed to be destined for the top of the draft board next year.

Jadeveon Clowney missed last week's game against Kentucky with a rib injury. (AP)
"I'd be scared to death to take him if I had a top-10 pick," one NFL personnel executive told Yahoo Sports.

The issue is not talent. The source, who asked not to be named, said Clowney was one of the best collegiate talents he'd ever seen. Yet he has "major concerns" about consistency.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i thought to myself earlier that I wouldn't be

Oct 8, 2013, 9:55 PM

terribly shocked if he fell to late 1st/early 2nd...i think there's still more so-so performances coming on top of selfish choices/attitude

Re: Jadeveon Clowney still top draft pick?

Oct 8, 2013, 9:58 PM

That "NFL executive" was probably one of those idiots on the Panther payroll, LOL!

Oct 8, 2013, 11:35 PM

Haha... Poor little Detroit Coot. Notice he said "if" I had a top 10 pick. Which means he already has a winning team and you don't have a freaking clue. Lol

Oct 8, 2013, 11:51 PM

Or he may not have a say in his team's pick-have we thought about that? Let's all compare our "clues" at the season's end, shall we?

Oct 9, 2013, 12:03 AM

He ain't going top 5... Not a single drafted player has become a franchise player on talent alone. This is not a secret to NFL decision makers. This is also why Clowney gets overwhelmed by NFL prototypical left tackles...he doesn't have that extra desire, mental edge that takes his incredible God given talent and turns it into production. This is where coaching comes in play, and every coach since pee-wee football has probably never instilled the values needed for him to be truly successful - including the ones he has now.

Jerry Rice had great hands, but that was about it. He is in the Hall of Fame because he is everything Clowney isn't.

panthers front seven is great..

Oct 8, 2013, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Jadeveon Clowney still top draft pick? ]

why would they want clowney? sure the pick looks good.but our issues arent d line and backers.its o line and secondary

Oct 8, 2013, 10:01 PM

Not a fan of Clowney's attitude on and off the field, the talent is there just not sure about work ethic and mental toughness. I can see him going early 2nd round, maybe late 1st.

Comparable to Teo...

Oct 8, 2013, 10:02 PM

When they're good, they're good. When they're bad, they're bad. And both have/will suffer for their off the field issues. In the end, he's still going to go first round, but his stock has taken a hit for this, no doubt.

I bet this whole thing is playing out behind the scenes

Oct 8, 2013, 10:06 PM

and according to plan. The mythical rib injury is a perfect ploy too since it's not an injury that a trainer can make the call on. It's the players call. Oh yes, this one can be milked for weeks. Let a little more time go by, he declares himself healed, enters a game, then reaggravates his "ribs". Boom, that's good for another 3 weeks. He's already been contacted by a team indirectly and privately. He'll still go high first round. just my two cents but I smell a rat.

albert haynesworth comes to mind..

Oct 8, 2013, 11:39 PM

tons of talent lazy as all get out

the rumors in the off season..

Oct 8, 2013, 11:42 PM

was that he would not be playing this year.one has to wonder if steve maybe begged him and somewhat forced him to come back and play.

He and Jay Z discussed staying healthy and two important

Oct 8, 2013, 11:43 PM

words. Guaranteed money.

Replies: 12
| visibility 962
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic