Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate

Oct 25, 2018, 8:01 AM

Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate

When NFL and other career dreams didn't work out, this former linebacker became an entrepreneur, retired early, and wrote a book to teach others. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate

Oct 25, 2018, 8:40 AM

A fantastic reminder of how unsuccessful I have been.

Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate

Oct 25, 2018, 8:56 AM

I couldn't have said it any better !!!!

GO TIGERS !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate ]

Ha...me too, especially since I had classes with him at CU.

Oct 25, 2018, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate ]

I'm raising my hand with you!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 8:55 AM

There are thousands of books out there about this same thing. Are the people making the money doing what the book says or from selling the books.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I learned a long time ago.....

Oct 25, 2018, 10:47 AM

Invest in land. They quit making it many years ago, it never depreciates.

I've not read the book however

Oct 25, 2018, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson LB spun path from football to early retirement using real estate ]

I just ordered it specifically because it's someone local who started with nothing. Having started with nothing, myself, I've invested in Real Estate for 20 years and I firmly believe in using Real Estate to create income. It's tough at first but after a few years you begin to have positive cash flow.

Re: I've not read the book however

Oct 25, 2018, 3:10 PM

I should have written this book. I retired at 42, only to get bored and start another business. I retired again a few years later.
I dropped out of college when my wife got pregnant and we started buying real estate and grew from there. It really does work, but it's not easy and it's still challenging at times because we still own lots of property.

In general where do you think you make most of the money?

Oct 25, 2018, 3:15 PM [ in reply to I've not read the book however ]

all of the above but at

Oct 25, 2018, 11:27 PM

different times in cycles..... just buy something, collect rent, appreciation, tax advantages, sales recycle etc.

null

Oct 25, 2018, 11:12 AM

Happy for him, he was a great player for us! If I remember correctly he kind of flew under the radar in recruiting. Look forward to reading the book.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 12:41 PM

Can't imagine how rewarding it is to build a successful business from the ground up. Congrats to Chad on his accomplishment. Due to marriage before graduating along with a lack of entrepreneurial acumen and lack of a big risk taking spirit, went the 8 to 6 route as a bank auditor. Had a nice career with a nationwide bank, attaining four audit related certifications, met lots of interesting and intelligent people, but was ready to get out at least five years before I did. Retired at 60 and got out of the stock market in the latter part of 2007 so lost very little in 2008. Ended up as a very lucky guy, although still have feelings a number of times of not having a successful career.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I can tell you how to end up with a small fortune in RE.

Oct 26, 2018, 7:37 PM

You start with a large fortune.

Just a joke. I'm glad he's done well. If anyone has real estate needs around Cootlumbia I'm your guy. I own a RE/MAX here. Contact info in my profile.

Hmmmmm

Oct 26, 2018, 9:43 PM

Good for Chad making money in real estate. I hope he has a great life.

I do not get the 'write a book telling other people how to do real estate' part of the story. As others have said, there are hundreds of books describing how to buy, sell, rent, flip, finance, create income streams, free up your time, retire early and so forth based on real estate. Most of them sort of hint at a secret strategy that is enabling and powerful. I am a skeptic.

A long time ago I got a real estate license, bought and sold some property, and owned several rental properties. Like a boat owner my happiest days were the days I bought property and the day I sold it. Like everyone my age I know people who made money in real estate and people who moved onto to doing something else. Making money in real estate requires work, an aptitude and perhaps even a bit of luck. I don't believe there is a secret or particularly powerful strategy in the world of real estate that is not very well and widely known. So why write a book? And why base your real estate book on the glamorous idea of 'retiring early' other than appealing to daydreams for the sake of selling books?

Dabo Swinney was hugely successful in the real estate business. He made a lot more money coaching football. I wonder if he should write a book about making money coaching football?

I made a nice living in the corporate world. Should I write a book about working hard, doing every job you're asked to do as well as you can and sticking to it long enough to reap the rewards of a good job and good luck? If I did, I would emphasize the role of good luck. I don't think I'll write a book.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think most people make as much money in real estate

Oct 26, 2018, 10:07 PM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic