Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It’s truly amazing to me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

It’s truly amazing to me

Jul 30, 2018, 8:07 PM

That young men from all over the country visit our campus and immediately have a feeling of warmth and comfort in this small college town that we all call home. Many years ago I made that first trip to a very,very different Clemson than we have today. Believe it or not, I loved the place in 1960! If you weren’t around in the “ole days” you have no idea what this small,all male,military school was like. Quite honestly, there wasn’t much to love.... but I did and so did the other 5000 guys I shared several years with in this “cow college”. We all like to think that Coach Dabo created this wonderful environment that we now enjoy but the groundwork was laid long before Dabo was born! Without question he has taken this foundation and created an unbelievable utopia that is the envy of many. Kids from California or Missouri or Michigan see something that really impresses them that they don’t see elsewhere. Those of us who were fortunate enough to be Clemson men for many years know what these young guys see and it’s a great feeling to know that Clemson is at the top. I’ve known that for fifty plus years.

Welcome new Tigers. You will never,never regret the path you have chosen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s truly amazing to me

Jul 30, 2018, 8:37 PM

I agree my friend..I started in 72.. finally finished in 79. I used to listen to the Tigers on an AM radio in the early to mid 60’s. I have followed my beloved Tigers for nearly 60 years. Indeed, Clemson has come a very long way. I couldn’t be more proud of Clemson University. Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 8:41 PM

It's the lake and all of the helpful coeds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Believe it or don’t!

Jul 30, 2018, 8:59 PM

But we actually had the lake and a few day students who were of the other persuasion ! Life would have been really tough had it not been for wonderful things who visited us from Winthrop and Columbia College and Brenau (sic) and Anderson Nursing school and others. Football weekends and the dances provided by CDA were as good as life can get for this old country boy from Chapman High! The beverage of choice was Old Milwaukee’s in 14 oz cans and an occasional jug of PJ. The football team was very ordinary in those days but followed with as much zeal as the champions of today .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Believe it or don’t!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:31 PM

This really takes me back my friend. It was a very different place but it was so special. Not sure if it’s them hills or what but it is hard to describe the feeling when you were there.

It was that same zeal. Saw a comment about old film saying it didn’t look like the hill was crowded. Perhaps they didn’t realize that is where we tailgated... of sorts. We had our bag lunch, lawn chairs and a cooler.

Like you said, wasn’t great football but I’ll promise everyone one thing. Every game we’d win, peeps would sware today we’d just won the natty. And when you beat usuck or uga, the place went wild!!!

Thanks for posting this, and thanks for going to Clemson!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Believe it or don’t!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:35 PM

Oh, and you were right. Those coolers did have 14oz old Milwaukee’s and a pack of lucky strikes on your shoulder.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 8:50 PM

came to CU from Connecticut in'64 on a lark.have loved the place ever since and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.lots of great memories.one of the best choices I've made in life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You nailed it FT

Jul 30, 2018, 8:59 PM

Showed up in 1979 from southeast VA and fell in love with the campus and people ... that will never change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt. Dabo gets it though; he has always known that

Jul 30, 2018, 9:46 PM

Clemson is special. He may not have been there in the early 60's, but I think that whatever it was that uniquely endeared you to Clemson still exists today. I really think Dabo totally gets it too, believes in it, and that's why it's such an easy sell for him to recruits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: No doubt. Dabo gets it though; he has always known that

Jul 30, 2018, 9:55 PM

+10000000. He does get it and embraces it. That’s where we went wrong in the 90’s.

Well put ST!!!!

Jul 30, 2018, 9:53 PM

One last request and I’ll shut up. I was a young pup when you were there. 10-12 yrs old but does anyone on here remember David Smith. He owned a few grocery stores around the Columbia area in the 50’s and 60’s. The Smiths who we’d go up with. They’re family owned the land that Columbia mall sits on. We lost touch somewhere in the 70’s. Would love to know what happened to their family and if they still support Clemson.

I drove to Clemson recently on a sunshine-filled

Jul 30, 2018, 10:49 PM

Sunday and spent several hours wandering the campus alone.

It was the first chance to do so free from the hustle and bustle of game days and free from distraction from others.

True, the campus I knew in the mid sixties is vastly different, but intangibles remained: the aura of the beauty of those hills, the inclusive "home again" feeling that came over me.

I miss it. I've missed it all these years since I left and will continue to miss it the rest of my days. Clemson was, is and will always be in my mind, in my heart, in my soul.

I suspect many others feel the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic