Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Photo: Clemson All-Purple Concept Uniform
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

FB Update: Photo: Clemson All-Purple Concept Uniform

Jun 13, 2015, 9:52 PM

Photo: Clemson All-Purple Concept Uniform

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everytime I see these I roll my eyes.. but..

Jun 13, 2015, 9:56 PM

I kinda like this one. School colors, different from anything else out there, doesn't seem to take away from the paw.
Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

FREAKIN LOVE IT!

Jun 13, 2015, 10:07 PM

Saturday night against ND. OH YES!!!

Agree****

Jun 14, 2015, 1:56 PM

See I been saying Watson has put on some weight.....

Jun 13, 2015, 10:07 PM

.....even though he has gotten 3 inches shorter he has added 35 pounds and will be moved to RB via this picture....

The side stripe on the pants curved to the front at the

Jun 13, 2015, 10:17 PM

bottom. Is that a tweak we are making this year?

Re: FB Update: Photo: Clemson All-Purple Concept Uniform

Jun 13, 2015, 10:47 PM

Honestly, I can see the younger people loving this look. But for me, I love our all white with orange Paw on helmet, or all orange with white Paw. The kids are the ones working hard all week preparing to do battle on Saturday, so let them wear what they want to battle in. I'm going to pull for our guys even if they are wearing a Ballerina Tutu!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TUTUS?

Jun 13, 2015, 10:51 PM

I hope they all wear their jock straps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm so down for this

Jun 13, 2015, 10:56 PM

I just wish it was reality instead of a concept. This is the only uniform tweak I've ever wanted Clemson to make.

Re: I'm so down for this

Jun 13, 2015, 11:09 PM

> I just wish it was reality instead of a concept. This
> is the only uniform tweak I've ever wanted Clemson to
> make.

Jun 14, 2015, 12:11 AM

I would feel like I was watching Furman. Not a fan of the purple for anything but trim.

Purple was an invented school color in 91 by Hatfield

Jun 14, 2015, 12:29 AM

We were used navy before that. Check out old baseball and basketball unis...orange and navy, no purple. Our baseball hats were navy, away basketball uniforms were navy, Danny Ford were navy pants and a jacket. Never any purple. This was concocted by Hatfield and Bobby Robinson to get fans talking about something other than how bad both were doing at the time. This issue has been grating on me for over 20 years

You could not possibly be more wrong about this if you tried

Jun 14, 2015, 12:38 AM

Northwest purple has always been an official school color.

The navy you speak of has NEVER been one of our colors .... no idea how we got to that for a while but the navy is completely wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Really, that sure looks like navy to me

Jun 14, 2015, 12:46 AM

You can always use google to prove me right. Just look up any Clemson athletics before 91. Ive got a whole closet full of navy Clemson attire.

His point isn't that we weren't wearing Navy

Jun 14, 2015, 12:53 AM

His point is that navy was never one of our school colors.

Orange, Purple, White - those are the school colors.

(Well, technically Clemson Orange, Regalia, and Fort Hill : http://www.clemson.edu/administration/public-affairs/toolbox/standards/colors.html )

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another pic of Dale Davis in navy

Jun 14, 2015, 12:57 AM
10731-8Fr.jpg(207.4 K)

LOL, I'm not sure you understand what is being said here

Jun 14, 2015, 12:58 AM

We used to wear navy.
Navy was never a school color.
When we started wearing purple we WERE not inventing it as a school color.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL, I'm not sure you understand what is being said here

Jun 14, 2015, 1:05 AM

purple. Also we wore navy in our first TV game vs LSU

Point is that Clemson wore orange and navy before the 90's and we try to pretend this never happened***

Jun 14, 2015, 12:59 AM [ in reply to His point isn't that we weren't wearing Navy ]

Who is pretending that?***

Jun 14, 2015, 1:00 AM

Re: Point is....*

Jun 15, 2015, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Point is that Clemson wore orange and navy before the 90's and we try to pretend this never happened*** ]

Here's the reality, up to you if you want to read it:
http://www.tigernet.com/football/history/timeline.jsp
December 27, 1958
Clemson announced that it would wear navy blue jerseys with wide numerals front and back. Orange helmets with a white stripe from back to front in the center would also be worn to give a contrasting color for the nationwide television coverage of the game.

^Likely the first time Navy was ever used. Though WORN, as they are mentioning, it never became an official school color...just used to produce a more contrasting color in the 50's. Brought back again in the 80's around the Danny Ford era, to be removed by Hatfield and purple placed back.

The official colors listed in the book Clemson: Where the Tigers Play states this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=zPugTuXMEq8C&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=clemson+official+colors+purple&source=bl&ots=dKTMvPUCxe&sig=kgrZwpQBz_sFfB-EU3NQge7CV4o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCWoVChMI3peFjJiSxgIVRS-sCh2U3QB3#v=onepage&q=clemson%20official%20colors%20purple&f=false

Also confirmed here:
http://www.theheismanwinners.com/ClemsonTraditions.html
"Clemson Tigers Colors: Northwestern Purple and Burnt Orange

Clemson's official colors are Northwestern purple and burnt orange, but orange and white colors have
traditionally served as the dominant displayed school colors through the years on its athletic uniforms. The
Tigers have mixed and matched through the years and have had great success while wearing orange pants.
Clemson was wearing orange pants during their 1982 Orange Bowl victory over Nebraska, which clinched
the national championship. The orange bottoms first appeared in 1980 and the Tigers responded by wining
their first 10 games in that attire.

The Tigers became quite colorful in 1991 when they wore purple jerseys and white pants against North
Carolina State and California. The purple hue rekindled memories of old Clemson teams that once donned
pale purple and gold. Head coach Jess Neely's arrival in 1931 washed out those colors when he chose
deeper colors that better withstood rays of the sun and washing machines
."

But then there is this, straight from Clemson.edu's website:
https://www.clemson.edu/cuhonors/documents/EUREKA/EUREKA2011ClemsonTraditionsandLandmarkswithCampusMap.pdf

"Orange, Purple and the Tiger
The first "colors" of Clemson can be seen in an early diploma that is displayed on campus. But to
everyone's surprise, they're red and blue! The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs
formed Clemson's first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Alabama Polytechnic
Institute (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and
their mascot, the Tiger.
"

Now can we ask you find documentation, not of wiki and yahoo questions, that shows navy blue being official?

Never said we didn't wear navy - in fact, I said

Jun 14, 2015, 1:45 AM [ in reply to Really, that sure looks like navy to me ]

" .... no idea how we got to that for a while but the navy is completely wrong"

Navy was worn.

Navy has not EVER been a school color.

Purple has ALWAYS been a school color.

Somebody finally wised up and ditched the navy and got us back to purple.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Once again I ask, How can a color not be a school color when it was worn for most of

Jun 14, 2015, 3:15 AM

the existence of the university? Im just saying that we arbitrarily changed from navy to purple as a secondary color. If you deny this then its like telling me the sky isnt blue. There are f###g pictures and jackets, shirts, jerseys, yearbooks that go back years before most of yall were born. Just admit we changed to purple from navy

purple is the official color ....

Jun 14, 2015, 6:51 AM

and we used purple in some older uniforms in the 30s and 40s. Frank Howard was asked about this one time. The purple dye at that time faded very fast and the uniforms took on a lavender color very fast. Too expensive to only last a few games.

You can't possibly be this ignorant. Have a great Sunday &

Jun 14, 2015, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Once again I ask, How can a color not be a school color when it was worn for most of ]

GO T I G E R S !!!!

Re: Once again I ask, How can a color not be a school color when it was worn for most of

Jun 14, 2015, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Once again I ask, How can a color not be a school color when it was worn for most of ]

Hey look everyone this guy is going full ###### never go full ######

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

never go full ######! what do you mean...you people?

Jun 14, 2015, 1:15 PM

what's hilarious is this movie in these topics have come up every day for the last 3 days in some way shape or form :)

my Clemson diploma from the 1980's has a purple seal

Jun 14, 2015, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Really, that sure looks like navy to me ]

you can deny purple until your face turns purple, but it is an official school color from WAY, WAY back. The athletic teams wore navy because of fading issues with the specific textiles used in athletic wear during that era. Repeated washing, and even exposure to the sun, tended to make the purple dye fade.

Sounds like you need to read some Clemson history books. I would recommend Joe Sherman's book "A History of Clemson Football".

Purple was not concocted by hatfield or Robinson

Jun 14, 2015, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Purple was an invented school color in 91 by Hatfield ]

The color originally was Northwest Purple to match the sunsets you see around Clemson in late summer and fall. However it moved toward Navy over the years. In the spring semester of 1989 (my freshman year at Clemson) to address this issue it was put to the student body to vote. For better or for worse purple was selected. Most people remember it as a hatfield thing because the team did come out in purple pants for a game in 1991. Hatfield didn't make that decision though. It was the seniors on that team that chose those pants.

Its not historicaly inaccurate if historically Clemson has more years of wearing navy

Jun 14, 2015, 1:10 AM [ in reply to Purple was an invented school color in 91 by Hatfield ]

than purple in all athletics, not to mention merchandise. In our first tv game against LSU we wore navy.

Re: Its not historicaly inaccurate if historically Clemson has more years of wearing navy

Jun 14, 2015, 2:04 AM

No one is debating that we wore it. We did. BUT...BUT...BUT........purple is an official school color.

I think you really understand and are just being silly.

Re: Its not historicaly inaccurate if historically Clemson has more years of wearing navy

Jun 14, 2015, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Its not historicaly inaccurate if historically Clemson has more years of wearing navy ]

I was a football manager in the 60's. Both the Orange and White jerseys were trimmed in purple as well as the numbers. You are right about the LSU jerseys -they were referred to as the "Sugar Blues" and the second time we ever wore them was the South Carolina Game in 1962. I was told they were ordered as Northwest Purple (official color) but when they came in they were more Navy and there was no time for a re-do. Since the Sugar Bowl was broadcast in Black and white -our orange jerseys didn't give enough contrast vs LSU's home white.
Don't let your obvious dislike for coaches get in the way of facts.

Jun 14, 2015, 1:28 PM

"Sugar Blues" THAT'S the term I was thinking of last night. You are 100% correct sir. Thank you!

Jun 14, 2015, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Its not historicaly inaccurate if historically Clemson has more years of wearing navy ]

That is false

null

Navy blue isn't OUR school color, though we did use it for awhile....

Jun 14, 2015, 12:24 PM

Everyone who is older than 16 knows this & probably even owns some or wore some navy & orange Clemson gear....that don't mean #####....
navy & orange is auburn colors (& others as well...). Orange & Purple are Clemson's designated colors & they are unique to us.

Regardless of the reasons why we've worn the colors we have so far, doesn't change the FACTS.
the purple looks good to me & we should stick to our rightful guns.
my dad's '65, my bro's '94 & '96, plus my '99 degree all have purple as the color & history doesn't lie...argue past 40 years & that's just hardheaded....
your pulse SUCKS! Time to stop now for yourself.

Clemson's very 1st colors were red, white, & blue!!! Go figure....

Go Tigers!

Re: Purple was an invented school color in 91 by Hatfield9

Jun 14, 2015, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Purple was an invented school color in 91 by Hatfield ]

You obviously don't know your history. when Riggs came to Clemson, from Auburn to start the football program; he found out that Clemson had no uniforms. So, he brought Auburn's practice uniforms for Clemson to play in. Navy blue and orange right? WRONG! The uniforms had been washed so many times that the blue color had "faded" to purple. And that is where the purple school color came from.

correct re: Hatfield and the history

Jun 14, 2015, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Purple was an invented school color in 91 by Hatfield ]

I still have a navy sweatshirt and a navy baseball hat from my time @ CU.

That said, navy was used bc it was more colorfast in the old days of natural fibers. Purple has always been an official color (orange has not , btw, gold and purple were the original school colors. Now that we can use colorfast purple, it has grown on me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take an ECE class

Jun 15, 2015, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Photo: Clemson All-Purple Concept Uniform ]

Take an ECE class taught by Bill Reid and you will never forget our official colors

Jun 14, 2015, 2:01 AM

THIS IS AWESOME!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Jun 14, 2015, 2:12 AM

I kinda like it. Don't know why, but I do. Lemme sleep on it and look again when I wake.

Jun 14, 2015, 7:02 AM

I like the all Purple concept. It looks bad a**!

Like The Pants Striping..... No Way On That Facemask----

Jun 14, 2015, 8:14 AM

Just don't EFF with the helmet unless you're going to make "" The Paw "" an inch bigger all the way around.

not the change i would make, but...

Jun 14, 2015, 9:28 AM

i dont think its the worst combo thats been thrown out there. but i think the only changes i would ever make would be alternate helmets with either the "c" that was on the helmet before the paw existed, or a white helmet with orange paw. i can't really justify any other changes to our uniforms.

Purple has a LONGER tradition at Clemson

Jun 14, 2015, 10:04 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=717482

But I am glad Orange is our primary color and purple is only an occasional thing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

looks sharpe with the black background. It might look

Jun 14, 2015, 10:27 AM

Good at night. Not sure how this would look in reality on a big olineman

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to be outdone, the Capons respond with their purple unis

Jun 14, 2015, 1:17 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That looks....

Jun 14, 2015, 1:56 PM

10 times better than what we have now, but...

Bama roots= plain, plain, plain.

Jun 14, 2015, 3:24 PM

Alright...quit going stooopid!

Jun 15, 2015, 12:01 PM

I've heard we are going to unveil a white helmet this season.

BARNEY!!!!

Jun 15, 2015, 4:37 PM

I'm agin it

I like it...

Jun 19, 2015, 9:17 AM

I also like the traditional home Orange on White. I love that Dabo brought back more of an old school look. I was never a fan of the Bowden uniforms with the curved piping on the jersey / pants.

I also would not mind seeing a white helmet with the all white uniforms. I think that could be a cool alternate as well. I know folks don't like messing with the helmets, but that purple on with the purple uniforms, and a white one with the white could look pretty cool.

On a side note, for the white uniforms, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more purple used. Nothing drastic, but like a purple paw on the pants instead of an orange one. Then a purple "ACC" logo instead of an orange one. Again, nothing drastic, but just a bit more purple trim.

Or maybe change up the stripes on the pants, so the outsides are purple, then have a orange one in the middle. Nothing full on purple, but just a bit more purple trim to showcase the unique school colors.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic