Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
“Overturn Roe v. Wade” Why do I keep hearing this?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

“Overturn Roe v. Wade” Why do I keep hearing this?

Jul 11, 2018, 9:09 AM

Doesn’t a state legislature have to pass a law banning abortion that the SC would have to uphold as constitutional? This could lead to other states passing similar laws. So, it would never happen in NY, CA, MA, IL, etc. but could happen, SC, TX, Bama...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are hearing this

Jul 11, 2018, 9:12 AM

because people against the new nominee want to freak the people out

Millions of women are going to die!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

its pretty crazy how easily people are manipulated into

Jul 11, 2018, 9:14 AM

hysterics

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: its pretty crazy how easily people are manipulated into

Jul 11, 2018, 9:26 AM

Calling RobertN and 19B

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality.

Jul 11, 2018, 9:44 AM [ in reply to its pretty crazy how easily people are manipulated into ]

You have a party in control of the Presidency, House and Senate that has made it their goal since '73 to overturn this decision, coupled with a candidate who specifically promised to appoint justices to overturn a decision saying it would happen "automatically", yet it's somehow hysterical to say "Yeah, Roe v Wade will likely get overturned now that Trump has picked 22% of the court"

I truly don't get it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality.

Jul 11, 2018, 9:48 AM

Your queen racist, Margaret Sanger would be proud of you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yikes.***

Jul 11, 2018, 9:50 AM

Lulz. Tell me someone from her era who

Jul 11, 2018, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality. ]

Wasn't a racist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's just that her ilk were a special breed

Jul 11, 2018, 1:34 PM

They thought they were making everybody's lives better by making sure there were less of them. In fact, that kind of racist eugenics was considered the most progressive viewpoint at the time.

I guess they were successful in reducing the number of poor minorities. Whether they made the people who got to live's lives better is up for debate.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality.***

Jul 11, 2018, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality. ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i want roe v wade overturned but i am not against abortion

Jul 11, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality. ]

i just disagree with the decision. i think it is quite a stretch to find the right to an abortion in the constitution.the house and the senate could make it law and the president could sign it or a veto overridden.and this is not just about current politicians.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i want roe v wade overturned but i am not against abortion

Jul 11, 2018, 10:10 AM

You don't need to find a right in the Constitution.

The Constitution does not grant us rights. It grants government authority to impede on certain rights in order to serve the public interest.

our rights are endowed by our Creator

Jul 11, 2018, 11:09 AM

And the Constitution specifically spells out what the government can and cannot do. It also specifically states that anything not delegated to the Federal Government is a state issue.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

IF Roe v. Wade found a right to Privacy, then where is this right in the Constitution and why is it not the law pertaining to Patriot Act, NSA data collections, etc?

Re: our rights are endowed by our Creator

Jul 11, 2018, 11:25 AM

Rights don't have to be the one constitution to be rights. "Where are they in the Constitution" should never be asked.

The tenth amendment deals with government authority, not natural rights of individuals.

You'd think quite a few liberals would agree with that

Jul 11, 2018, 1:29 PM [ in reply to i want roe v wade overturned but i am not against abortion ]

But that's not really how they work when it comes to social issues. They think nothing but what they believe should be tolerated, so the courts should recognize a right to the things they like. Seems to me that the actually liberal solution would be to allow the democratic process to decide these things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's a difference b/w upset and lunatic hysterics

Jul 11, 2018, 9:53 AM [ in reply to It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality. ]

A large portion of your base has, and I dont say this lightly, lost their minds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take that with a metric ton of salt considering who

Jul 11, 2018, 10:03 AM

the GOP just elected as president.

Exhibit A

Jul 11, 2018, 12:16 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Bookmark-This-Post-Part-1-23709739

Yours did a long time ago holding up the bloody

Jul 11, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to there's a difference b/w upset and lunatic hysterics ]

fetuses and callin abortion murder.

There's a guy that sets up on the side of the road

Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 AM

all around Columbia for hours a day with baby dolls and other props.

He used to set up in front of my high school.

This issue definitely brings out the crazies.

I know him personally.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:58 AM

He's a gracious man who has willingly endured more public ridicule than any person I know. A hero for the children of South Carolina.

To be honest I always assumed it was you.***

Jul 11, 2018, 11:01 AM

No, I don't have nearly the strength of character.***

Jul 11, 2018, 12:21 PM

Re: There's a guy that sets up on the side of the road

Jul 11, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to There's a guy that sets up on the side of the road ]

Also, for information, it's his full-time "job"...he's a missionary, just like a church would send a missionary to Brazil or Mexico. A missionary for the unborn. We support him financially.

Soooo...he's a paid protester?***

Jul 11, 2018, 12:44 PM

Protestor***

Jul 11, 2018, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: There's a guy that sets up on the side of the road ]

While I applaud his effort...

Jul 11, 2018, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: There's a guy that sets up on the side of the road ]

and I'm sure he's doing much more than that, I also think his time could be better spent.

That was a handful of people compared to the thousands of

Jul 11, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Yours did a long time ago holding up the bloody ]

these loons who took to the streets

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry you have to see what abortion actually does***

Jul 11, 2018, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Yours did a long time ago holding up the bloody ]

Jul 11, 2018, 10:02 AM [ in reply to It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2018, 9:02 AM [ in reply to It's like you folks exist in a different plane of reality. ]

robertn said:

You have a party in control of the Presidency, House and Senate that has made it their goal since '73 to overturn this decision,

Is that a goal, or just a rallying cry to get the evangelical vote? Same with the "southern strategy". If there weren't brown people to fear, and if there weren't complex and obscure issues transformed into simple and ubiquitous villains, then we'd have no Nixon, and probably no Trump. No super villain = no cause for the super savior.

We'd probably also be more alarmed about and politically reactive to the f-ups that DO affect all of us.

Like this tip of the iceberg:

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/bmw-moving-some-production-to-china-raising-prices-on-sc/article_2dab2678-837a-11e8-9b27-3fa07b822913.html

and this:

http://fortune.com/2018/06/26/harley-davidson-moving-production-overseas/

and this:

https://www.npr.org/2017/06/26/534365565/hundreds-of-carrier-factory-jobs-to-move-to-mexico

But also hearing it from the pro-life crowd that the

Jul 11, 2018, 9:29 AM [ in reply to you are hearing this ]

court will now overthrow it.

Yeah

Jul 11, 2018, 9:33 AM

take my last response and reverse it. It's all rhetoric to get the base worked up

What makes you think they wouldn't?

Jul 11, 2018, 1:23 PM

Hopefully a state legislature will test it. They'd have to be careful in how they did it to make sure the court couldn't rule narrowly against them.

You're onto something here. But be careful.....

Jul 11, 2018, 9:16 AM

You're coming dangerously close to supporting the 10th over the 14th Amendments here. That's dangerous territory for a liberal.

Abortion SHOULD be a state issue. Always said that. You have to insert the 14th Amendment and equal protection so then you #### half of Americans off, when you could have 50% of states happy outlawing it and 50% of states happy allowing it. It's a very good issue to see how we would be a more content nation if we functioned as a republic over a democracy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one good thing about SC making it illegal

Jul 11, 2018, 9:18 AM

it "might" stop the flow of northerners into the coast

this might even make some libs in SC support this ;)

All in all it could cause many to drive, fly,

Jul 11, 2018, 9:34 AM

or take greyhound from the Deep South to VA or MD to get abortions, or from MT, WY, UT to go to CA or WA.

And that's fine.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:39 AM

Don't like your state, move to another one. We do it all the time for taxes, business regulations, and everything else that's still allowed to be controlled by states.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not an option for the poor and lower middle class.***

Jul 11, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to All in all it could cause many to drive, fly, ]

God forbid they are stuck having a child they conceived

Jul 11, 2018, 1:25 PM

Pro-choicers' commitment to making sure people get abortions is weird.

Ok, but Roe v. Wade ruled a Texas law outlawing abortion

Jul 11, 2018, 9:25 AM [ in reply to You're onto something here. But be careful..... ]

as unconstitutional, the court didn’t legislate it into existence.

They made it a right. You can't outlaw a right.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:30 AM

Therefore they DID legislate it into existence as a legal option for all women in all 50 states (equal protection). No state can outlaw or ban abortions. Same thing for gay marriage as well. It's the exact type of thing Trump's SC nominee is talking about when he says the court should interpret the law, not MAKE the laws. This is really where the 10th and 14th Amendments collide. Through the Equal Protection clause, the court is given a de facto power to legislate from the bench. Their rulings must be applied to everyone in all 50 states (equal protection). That makes the 14th Amendment so deleterious to our original founding as a republic. It was created after the Civil War with the best intentions, and has been used for good intentions in the past. But many things that are ultimately bad start with the best of intentions. I'd wager if you took a poll of members of Congress in 1868 who voted on the 14th Amendment and told them that by passing it, you would allow same sex marriage and women to abort unborn children, it would have never passed. It was solely a power play to ensure a Civil War never happened again. By making slavery a state issue (which was technically correct) for decades leading up to the war, a flaw was seen that needed to be fixed to prevent another war over another issue, such as slavery. BUT, the reason the 10th Amendment failed with the issue of slavery was due to the fact that we were still growing into our shoes as a country and new states were being formed, AS slavery was a divisive issue. So slavery became a volatile issue mainly in NEW states that were joining the union. This was the flash-point that caused the Civil War.

Today we have a set number of states. In this environment the problems that led to the creation of the 14th Amendment have been largely mitigated. There are no new states joining the union to serve as battlegrounds over divisive issues. It is no longer needed really. But the power of Equal Protection, which is needed in some cases, is too big to relinquish. It's a tool created with the best of intentions that has been abused and will be abused more and more if allowed. But make no mistake, the use of that Amendment to take power from states to make their own laws, and apply laws universally across the 50 states, seeds more discord than a republic can handle. It leads us down the path of traditional democracies, and steers us away from what keeps us functioning as a republic. And that road, in a nation as diverse as our own, leads to destruction.

Same thing is happening with the electoral college, a relic of when we were designed to function as a republic. It originally helped big-government urban populations have voting power they would otherwise lose to the small-government rural majority in America at the time. Today the demographics are reversed, and it helps the rural small-government voters have power they would otherwise lose to urban big-government voters. Same thing for the Senate really. 50 states. TWO senators per state, population notwithstanding. That's the same republican principle being applied to the legislative branch.

You have to step back and see what's really happening. Our problems are not political. They're structural and center on power. Period. Politics is just the fuel for the engine to divide people and acquire more power. And power was the ultimate enemy our founding fathers were fighting. Not liberals, conservatives, urban or rural interests, or anything else. Power. Our power structure set forth in our Constitution is what makes us different from other "democracies". Nothing more or less.

Wow, TU for effort.***

Jul 11, 2018, 10:44 AM

Re: You're onto something here. But be careful.....

Jul 12, 2018, 1:45 PM [ in reply to You're onto something here. But be careful..... ]

Tiggity® said:

You're coming dangerously close to supporting the 10th over the 14th Amendments here. That's dangerous territory for a liberal.

Abortion SHOULD be a state issue. Always said that. You have to insert the 14th Amendment and equal protection so then you #### half of Americans off, when you could have 50% of states happy outlawing it and 50% of states happy allowing it. It's a very good issue to see how we would be a more content nation if we functioned as a republic over a democracy.

This is the dumbest, most fractious thing I've read since the Missouri Compromise.

Re: “Overturn Roe v. Wade” Why do I keep hearing this?

Jul 11, 2018, 9:26 AM

And that's exactly what would happen if the court had the votes in place.

What's the point of your question? You answered it yourself.

Yet, that case may never come up before the SCOTUS

Jul 11, 2018, 11:09 AM

When a party wants the Supreme Court to hear a case, the party files a petition for review. Someone with a stake in the ruling must file. The record then is transferred to the Supreme Court. After examining the petition for review and supporting materials, the court decides whether to grant or deny review.

And even if they did choose to hear it, most Justices are reluctant to overturn a previous SC ruling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: “Overturn Roe v. Wade” Why do I keep hearing this?

Jul 11, 2018, 6:05 PM

It's just libs panicing over imaginary problems....

http://www.lifenews.com/2018/07/10/vice-president-mike-pence-i-do-still-want-roe-v-wade-overturned/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic