Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
$600 a week in extra UE money
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

$600 a week in extra UE money

Jul 25, 2020, 9:20 PM

Look, all for helping folks who lost jobs not of their own doing. Thing is the blanket $600 per week is simply silly for a lot of reasons. It should have been graduated from $100 per week to a max of $600 per week depending upon income level. Flipping burgers looks a lot less appealing while looking at that extra money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly, im broke.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:22 PM

America is dying without fake money

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our intern, who made no more than $300/week

Jul 25, 2020, 9:40 PM

Working part time for us in the spring, qualified for $85/week in UE, plus the $600 federal.

He’s getting over double what he was making working.

His term was over in April, but the state approved him for 26 weeks of UE.

Ridiculous.

What are the odds that people

Jul 25, 2020, 9:40 PM

continued to live like they did while they were working and just banked the extra cash for a rainy day? Based on Sam's, WalMart and Amazon being nearly sold out of 4K Vizio TV's and Best Buy is still loaded with the higher end Samsung's, I'd say a lot of those $600 checks went right back into Sam Walton's estate and Jeff Bezos' pocket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $600 a week in extra UE money

Jul 25, 2020, 9:51 PM

No incentive to look was kinda the point early on.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:52 PM

And judging by the numbers were still seeing, maybe it should still be.

Why should anyone be paid more than they

Jul 25, 2020, 10:02 PM

Kept the economy from completely cratering for one.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:11 PM

The extra benefit was still less than many others were making. It wasn’t perfect, but it helped keep people home. Which was the point.

Many restaurant workers were offered their jobs back when the reopenings started. If they declined, they were no longer eligible for unemployment benefits.

No wonder some teachers don't want to work this year.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:56 PM

They can make 900/wk sitting on the couch.

well, that ends this week, doesn't it?

Jul 25, 2020, 10:07 PM

if they renewed it, I haven't see...

Yeah it ends.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:12 PM

But knowing us, we will extend it.

Pretty sure that’s not how things work for teachers

Jul 26, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to No wonder some teachers don't want to work this year. ]

Unless their job has been eliminated, teachers aren’t collecting UE benefits.

Here's a good opinion piece about that subject...

Jul 25, 2020, 10:16 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dont-pull-the-plug-on-pandemic-unemployment-aid/2020/07/20/c0f288d6-cabd-11ea-91f1-28aca4d833a0_story.html

"Research from the JPMorgan Chase Institute suggests that the additional $600 has had a huge bang for its buck and has been a major contributor to the recovery thus far in consumer spending."

"Tedeschi, of Evercore ISI, estimates that allowing the enhanced benefit program to lapse would lead to a 2 percent reduction in gross domestic product by year’s end. Even scaling back the federal aid — by, say, halving it to $300 per week, as lawmakers are reportedly considering — would result in a sizable hit to GDP, around 1 percent this year."

In other words, “Sell, sell, sell!”***

Jul 25, 2020, 10:17 PM

It’s killing the restaurant business.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Here's a good opinion piece about that subject... ]

Several friends in the biz who can’t find a $15-16/hour line cook because they’ve been getting the equivalent of $25-26/hour staying at home. If you’re competing with uncle sugar in a bidding was for talent, you’re going to lose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s killing the restaurant business.

Jul 26, 2020, 7:35 AM

lol, you just made that up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2020, 8:37 AM

SO Balm, extend the UE $600 a week and have folks make $20-$25 an hour or let them choose to work for $12-$14? Hmm, I see lots of folks sitting around playing Xbox and burning a doobie myself.

Jul 26, 2020, 8:42 AM

Dems want to extend in to eternity or until we all are broke whichever may come 1st.

They want people to think it’s pretty great sitting

Jul 26, 2020, 10:27 AM

Around and collecting a check, and the moronic Pubs have been all too eager to help them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s telling that you are skeptical when one

Jul 26, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: It’s killing the restaurant business. ]

Makes a statement about having friends. It’s easy to see why that’s a foreign concept for you.

It’s not really an “economy” if the government is

Jul 25, 2020, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Here's a good opinion piece about that subject... ]

The way I understand it, the pandemic

Jul 25, 2020, 10:58 PM

money isn't coming from anywhere. The federal reserve is creating it as it has been doing at a rapid pace since 2008. The money supply has been on a steep upward slope since then, and most people don't realize what a house of cards that is. That's why I've been converting my savings into platinum and palladium. If you follow suit, look for the purest thermocouple wire you can find.

Re: The way I understand it, the pandemic

Jul 26, 2020, 1:16 PM

I'm go gullible sometimes, but are you seriously investing in precious metals?

I am seriously going to be selling stocks at some point soon and get on the sidelines...

Re: The way I understand it, the pandemic

Jul 26, 2020, 1:26 PM

No, not really

Jul 26, 2020, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The way I understand it, the pandemic ]

but my 401k is majority safe investments, with ~20% in stock funds (down from 50% at the start of the year). I hit my target amount for retirement a while back and am eligible for a pension after October if I choose, so I figured now was the time to preserve it. The market has to drop a LOT eventually, doesn't it? Or will both parties and the fed continue to juice it with stimulus and the increasing money supply?

A wealthy friend of mine has been buying gold for years, but mainly as a way to hide his money. Somebody else pretty involved with catalysts told me to ignore gold and invest in platinum, paladium, and maybe ruthenium. I look into it periodically and then forget about it.

I guess you'll get the last laugh next april

Jul 25, 2020, 11:53 PM

When they have to pay taxes on all that free money.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess you'll get the last laugh next april

Jul 26, 2020, 9:21 AM

Most of the folks make so little they pay next to nothing in Federal taxes already. So that idea is a moot point.

I paid more personal taxes this year than any other year

Jul 26, 2020, 5:55 PM [ in reply to I guess you'll get the last laugh next april ]

ever. Last year was really good so I was really short, plus I moved a lot of money from stocks to bonds at the end of the year so I had a lot of capital gains, then I had to pay a lot in estimated taxes. So the day my last year's taxes were due so were 2 quarters of estimated taxes.

It still wasn't enough to keep all you freeloaders fed and happy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you took a lot of long term gains this year,

Jul 26, 2020, 6:09 PM

beware of the net investment income tax (NIIT) when you estimate your quarterly payments. That is definitely a tax that seems unfair.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic