Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There are many on Tigernet that attend most every home and away games. Do you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

There are many on Tigernet that attend most every home and away games. Do you

Jun 22, 2019, 6:36 PM

see attendance declining at Clemson. I was at the SC game last year and saw empty seats in the upper deck. I bring this up based on the article I read earlier today. Will the ACCN money offset lose in ticket revenue? I saw an chart on Tigernet showing that Clemson’s athletic profits should exceed 2.5 million dollars by 2022. Will our athletic revenues allow Clemson to continue the current level of spending on the football program?? Will we be able to proceed with future building projects related to football??

I bring this up because I spoke with a couple of college AD’s who are concerned about weather the current economic model for college athletics is sustainable. They are really concerned about the future of college athletics.

Here are some reasons IMO, I see attendance declining. Cost to attend games is one , weeknight games are another and distance to travel to home and away games. What are other factors you see contributing to declining attendance?? Or is this article off base as it relates to Clemson Football attendance? What do you think are some of the solutions suggested in the article below??

I would really like opinions from some with much more knowledge about the inner workings of the athletic department. What do you think college football should or can do to change a 5 or 6 year trend where attendance has declined in many parts of the country?? Any ideas for new revenue sources?? How can we increase attendance??

Article: https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/clemson/sapakoff-college-football-attendance-crisis-looms-even-at-clemson-and/article_35a5b790-8c51-11e9-a961-ab15edfed3a4.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's many factors making attendance drop.

Jun 22, 2019, 6:54 PM

They've made it harder to get into and out of Clemson and parking has greatly diminished all around campus.
The ticket prices have gotten outrageous for a family of four.
Most games are televised.
Young people have much shorter attention spans.
There are more things for people to do other than go to games.
Curb-stomping opponents or "taking the foot of the pedal" aren't as exciting.
Allergies to "The Woohoo" have reached epidemic proportions.
And most importantly, they don't release balloons any more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a personal perspective

Jun 22, 2019, 7:19 PM

a lot of us unwealthy fans can't afford the IPTAY
membership/season ticket package for probably UD tickets
anyway, so we try to go to maybe a couple of games a year.
But even that is hard to get motivated for as we age since
traffic can be a nightmare, parking is a crapshoot without
a pass and an extra expense, tickets are at least $75 unless
you get lucky at the last minute, sodas and hot dogs are $6,
you get sweat soaked in a September afternoon game and cold
in a November night game, and most games are on TV with your
bathroom and fridge not far from your living room sofa.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From a personal perspective

Jun 22, 2019, 8:09 PM

This is a poorly written article. Sounds like someone desperate to put Clemson down...fake news. In 2018, we were at FSU and GA Tech, so neither were home games. Clemson has ranked in the top 15 in attendance for at least the last six years averaging 81,000. Last year's average was 82,048. I only missed two games last year, one away and one home due to the hurricane. I sat through those years where attendance was bad, but it has been good for the last several years. At the Wake game (away), we probably had more fans than they did dominating the visitor's side. It is great sitting in the Clemson section for away games. Texas A&M was an awesome experience.

Message was edited by: tshark®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From a personal perspective

Jun 22, 2019, 9:29 PM [ in reply to From a personal perspective ]

The cost of tickets as well as the parking issues at Clemson are big factors for me.Some tickets on Tigernet are listed as high as $475 ea. This is certainly out of my budget. It is much easier to click on the remote. With that being said, there is nothing like a game day at Clemson. I will attend as many games as my budget will allow.

Costs Are The Only Valid and Credible

Jun 23, 2019, 10:14 AM [ in reply to From a personal perspective ]

argument that you make in your post, everything else is whining.

Re: Costs Are The Only Valid and Credible

Jun 23, 2019, 10:58 AM

guy asks a respectful question and you call him a whiner... people like you make people like him not want to post.... you could have simply said from your perspective cost is valid. For the sake of argument why aren't any of his other concerns valid?

It’s interesting to see how many yellow shirts are needed to

Jun 22, 2019, 8:07 PM

keep students off of the Hill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: It’s interesting to see how many yellow shirts are needed to

Jun 23, 2019, 10:59 AM

not many, they don't fill the hill anyway .... sad to look at....

Re: It’s interesting to see how many yellow shirts are needed to

Jun 23, 2019, 11:08 AM

I wish they still selling GG tickets so anyone could get on the hill...

Re: There are many on Tigernet that attend most every home and away games. Do you

Jun 23, 2019, 5:55 AM

I will probably never go to another game. I prefer TV and the comfort of home. I am very thankful that others love going to the games though.

Re: There are many on Tigernet that attend most every home and away games. Do you

Jun 23, 2019, 11:22 AM

I used to be an IPTAY member until the Charleston Naval Shipyard closed. This was not a small amount. I paid $1,000 a year from 1983 until 1996. It took few years to get a long term job again and a long time to catch up on debts. This also included two children who graduated in 2005 and 2006 from high school. My daughter graduated in 2010 from Clemson in Chemical Engineering. The same year my wife developed a cancer in her brain connective tissue that we have been fighting since then. From this we have not had a lot of money to go see games much less pay to IPTAY.
This, having been said, the expense of seat equity and seat prices are priced us out of the market.
My suggestion is to quite advertising any body trying to sell tickets for more than 20% over face value.
Any money paid to IPTAY is mostly tax deductible. Greed has taken over and the average Joe and his family can not afford top attend these games, especially if from the Pee Dee or the Low Country. Buying tickets from $300 to 600 per tickets for big games is a losing proposition when you can buy a big tv and have a heck of a party for these prices. And you are not four or five hours each way on the road.
In 1995, I paid 868 dollars for eight season tickets in Section N. This would not cover 3 tickets equity payment now. This make the 1970's inflation seem like a piker.

I appreciate your honesty

Jun 23, 2019, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: There are many on Tigernet that attend most every home and away games. Do you ]

as I feel similarly. I live about 6 hours from Clemson. With the time investment, cost and my work schedule it has been almost impossible to make it to any games in the last several years. Also, I'm not a big fan of being in big crowds. With HD TV and all the camera angles they get nowadays it's just so much more enjoyable to watch on TV and not deal with the hassle. So a big shout out to those attending the games and representing all of the rest of the fan base.

If it helps my credibility at all I was in attendance at the Orange Bowl (first CFP playoff game) against OK a few years ago, and I was also in attendance in Tampa when we won our 2nd National Championship. Oh yeah, and I went to UVA a few years ago (2013) when we curb stomped them...that wasn't a big deal though because I live an hour from Charlottesville, and it was real cheap and easy to get in there at the point in time.

The only place that I’ve noticed it consistently

Jun 23, 2019, 11:20 AM

in Death Valley is on the hill.

Also, imo Clemson’s attendance at away games

Jun 23, 2019, 11:22 AM

is as good if not better than ever.

For most families of average means going to ALL Tiger games

Jun 23, 2019, 3:01 PM

... each year basically means that you are willing to invest ALL of your descretionary income into Clemson football.

No beach, no mountains, no Disney ... no nothing unless you’re willing to go into debt.

Many are willing to do this while many are not.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic