Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's hard to admit when your were wrong about coaching changes.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

It's hard to admit when your were wrong about coaching changes.

Apr 12, 2017, 10:19 AM

Firing a coach has a major implications. Other coaches usually lose their jobs as well. The wife usually has handle changing banks, doctors, dentist and schools. Their kids have to leave friends behind, fit into new schools and if they play sports etc... find new teams or other organizations. The has to find a new job, relocate sometimes across the country. The family has to find a new church, sale a house, buy a house. Things we fans usually don't consider.

I will admit that I was wrong about changing football coaches. But we could have handled the changing of coaches and the situation better than we did. From Red Parker to Tommy Bowden we have not exactly handled their departures well.

I really liked Tommy and IMO TB accomplished several positive things at Clemson. He certainly left Dabo with a solid foundation to build off of. It was a much better situation than he inherited.

I feel TB was in many ways responsible for getting the administration and AD on board to increase coaches salaries, improve facilities and recruit at a higher level. His biggest contribution was hiring Dabo as the recruiting coordinator.

Tommy loved Clemson and gave his all to succeed but it just was not in the cards. Tommy won some big games and lost some tuff games. He had some bad luck for example the pass Arron Kelly dropped on the goal line. I think it was the BC. If Kelly catches that ball I think TB wins 10 games that season. And I believe if TB had more of the same resources available under his time at Clemson, he may have won more games, possible some ACC Championships, possibly a NC. Maybe a few plays could have changed TB's success at Clemson. I think we as fans should be grateful to TB for the positive contributions he made at Clemson and most important of all for recommending Dabo as the interim HC. IMO I believe TB saw something special in Dabo. And it turns out he was correct.

It's hard to admit but we needed a change with our baseball program to. I really liked Jack Leggett and he was always nice to me and he was a great person. I hated to see Jack leave so close to retirement, but again we did need a coaching change for the good of the baseball program. After watching Monte Lee turn around the baseball program I now realized Clemson Baseball needed new energy and excitement back into the program. Monte has done a great job winning games , turning the program around and putting the fun back into the game for the players and the fans. I feel that Jack deserves credit for leaving Coach Lee with a solid foundation to build his program from.

I am swallowing my pride and admitting that I was wrong regarding the need for coaching changes in football and baseball. It's hard to admit when your are wrong but I was definitely wrong about both programs. Dabo and Monte have brought a new level of energy and excitement to Tiger Town.

I hope fans will think of Tommy and Jack's legacy in a positive way. They did make many positive contributions to their respective programs and represented Clemson University with Class.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's hard to admit when your were wrong about coaching changes.

Apr 12, 2017, 10:24 AM

Well stated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden never believed in Clemson ...

Apr 12, 2017, 10:27 AM

as a potential national powerhouse ... FSU had "too many horses" I believe was the quote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is making excuses, which is EXACTLY

Apr 12, 2017, 10:33 AM

what separates Dabo from TB. No excuses - "It's only unthinkable if you don't think it.".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2017, 10:36 AM

Wow, are you being paid to be Tommy's P.R. manager? That's one way to sugarcoat things.

The fact of the matter is this: Tommy helped to improve our facilities... But wouldn't ANY new hire stepping in after Tommy West have done the same? It's not like it was hard to see that we needed upgrades, which in turn help a coach to recruit, win, and ultimately extend their tenure and increase their salary. It wasn't like Tommy was some genius in recognizing this.

On the field, Tommy didn't win a single division championship. Not one. In what, eight-plus years? His legacy was beating a bad South Carolina program and beating FSU for the first time in 12 games.

Tommy "loved" Clemson? How do you know this? He went to church in Easley and took his family to eat in Greenville. He also engaged in a stare-down with TDP to milk the athletic department of some more money. That's good business, but I'm not so sure a guy that "loves" his employer employs the same tactics.

Can we please stop with the b.s. about how much Tommy did for us? It's enough already.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had there been no Tommy Bowden

Apr 12, 2017, 10:39 AM

There would BE no Davi Swinney's.

Thanks, spell check for really screwing that one***

Apr 12, 2017, 10:41 AM

Can't WE just let Tommy go? It's over, in the past and

Apr 12, 2017, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: It's hard to admit when your were wrong about coaching changes. ]

the past can't be rewritten. Works both ways.

Tommy was a pretty good administrator...

Apr 12, 2017, 11:08 AM

but he was not a particularly good coach, and unlike Dabo, Tommy was never a true Clemson man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 12, 2017, 11:17 AM

I think most reasonable fans know TB made significant contributions to the programs progress. My main knock on him was that I didn't find him to be a good game day coach, and fostered a somewhat soft mentality. CDS has a lot of Dog in him. "Dat boy" obviously was a figher in his playing career and brought that dog mentality to the team, and set the tone for toughness game 1 (GT) as many of you recall. Still, TB as well as Jack did good things, and never put the program in harms way, even if we may not have been thrilled with on field results.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His teams were too soft and inconsistent...

Apr 12, 2017, 11:19 AM

and he was too stubborn and prideful to change even when it was painfully obvious that what he was trying to do wasn't working.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His teams were too soft and inconsistent...

Apr 12, 2017, 11:26 AM

Yup. Never failed. First you would see him squat on the sideline, picking at grass. I knew it was game over at that point.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in his corner until....

Apr 12, 2017, 11:43 AM

he chose to run James Davis and CJ Spiller a combined total of thirteen times in the Music City Bowl against one of the worst run defenses in college football.

That and pulling Merriweather out of the game against CootU.

Apr 12, 2017, 11:36 AM

TB was a good coach but he hates on Clemson now I have lost respect for him. He did beat his daddy though so I doubt he thought we could never be a powerhouse.

And .... AND? There is an elephant in the room!.***

Apr 12, 2017, 11:39 AM

Apr 12, 2017, 12:00 PM

Hmmm? Where to start?
Well - losing your job and having to go thru the nightmare for your family that goes with that happens to more people than you can imagine. I've gone thru that and I know how it is. It is BUSINESS, and fans tend to ignore this factoid, since the money does not come directly from their pocket. Administrators are charged with making the correct business decisions, and sometimes they actually do their job.

As for TB - I never liked him. He failed in so many ways, and only succeeded in a few ways. He would never be able to make our program respectable. I despised us giving him the extensions for average performance.

Nothing was mentioned about our BBall program and CBB. Okay - we won't here.

Perhaps a lot of fans look at coaching changes differently than some of us do. Having been in business so many years and having to make very harsh decisions regarding families, etc causes sleepless nights. Too much Koolaid tends to allow one to sleep better I guess.

That said - it is a great time to be a CLEMSON TIGER. The wheels of progress are definitely turning faster.

Apr 12, 2017, 12:03 PM

I felt like Brad B's situation did not fit in with this post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB = no killa instinct, too soft, played based on seniority***

Apr 12, 2017, 12:16 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

until the 4th quarter of the coot game ... free Reggie !!***

Apr 12, 2017, 2:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2017, 12:22 PM

That's bold of you , but why did it take you 7 yrs . ?

Apr 13, 2017, 8:39 AM

I guess it was difficult to admit coaching was one of the major problems. Plus as a friend it was difficult to admit TB was less successful than I thought he would be. But Dabo has surprised everyone but himself.

But if we are all honest with ourselves did you really think Dabo could develop Clemson football to elite status??

And after seeing 2 seasons of Monte Lee's accomplishments I realized that was a great hire by AD DRad.

What is kind of funny is that with all that Clemson football and baseball has accomplished there are some who still have something negative to say about one of the 2 programs or some of the coaches.

It's east to admit you're wrong

Apr 12, 2017, 2:25 PM

When you're never wrong.

I wanted randy shannon. I'm still not sold on this bret guy.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic