Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver

Dec 10, 2014, 7:01 AM

Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver

Three wide receivers enrolled at Clemson last January, making the position one of the deepest on the team. That depth has been tested this season, but help is on the way. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver

Dec 10, 2014, 7:13 AM

A lot of people are overlooking Thompson because of the talent of Cain and McCloud. Thompson might have the best hands on the team next yr. I've been lucky to see him play in high school and he reminds me of Nuk with his ability to catch and use his body. Wouldn't be surprised if he started next yr or earned it during the season. The talent at WR is gonna be great over the next few years.

Dec 10, 2014, 7:14 AM

What's the latest in Campbell?

Dec 7, 2022, 7:03 PM

On*

Dec 10, 2014, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver ]

"Latest on Campbell"?

Pay attention: he's an Free Shoes U commit! That ship sailed, and Cain coming in makes it a non issue!

Go Tigers!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha - Oopps, missed that

Dec 10, 2014, 8:35 AM

I'm so used to us reporting every commits (or target) bathroom habits, I guess I missed the post about him.

I'll set up my google alerts next time....

I agree Cain and Ray Ray will be sick with the rest of the crew.

Dec 10, 2014, 7:20 AM

As a collective whole, this will be one of THE finest group of receivers Clemson has EVER had!!

The gunslinger (DW4) will set records with this group and National exposure is going to be phenomenal!!

Add Feaster to the mix and BOOM!!!

Go Tigers!!!!

Dec 10, 2014, 7:36 AM

Please, all you terribly over-sensitive people here on T-Net don't hate me but I have to ask a serious question regarding player attrition. Are we becoming a victim of our own success with regards to recruiting?

Dec 10, 2014, 7:45 AM

How so? The WR position is a magnet for "look at me" type athletes. It is a poison for a team. CDS is eradicating it from the team. We have the luxury of being able to draw from a deep well. I wish Kitt well, but the fact that he released his intentions via social media rather than face to face with coaches tells me that he has some growing up to do (I am assuming that he did not talk to the coaches based on reports). I understand that he wants the best opportunity to make a living in the NFL and was quickly beginning to see that he was not getting that chance here. I don't blame him for that.

Dec 10, 2014, 9:33 PM

He would of saw the field though.. Competion makes you better ..

Idk

Dec 12, 2014, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver ]

Does Kitt really have that kind of talent? I've heard that his departure
was due to lack of playing time, and the prospect of that continuing next
year due to incoming talent. If he's headed to Savannah State, as I've heard,
he's certainly not moving up in the football world.

Dec 10, 2014, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver ]

I don't think so. As a former athlete coaches will tell you the day you step on campus that they are already out looking for your replacement (recruiting). Our success has allowed the coaches to swing for the fences every year to bring in top talent, and these kids know coming in that they will have to compete for playing time. And playing time means a better chance of being in the same company at Sammy, Nuk, etc. Our success is helping us in that we can now being in these top level guys. Unfortunately they all can't play right away and there will be guys who leave instead of working their way on the field.

Like dattiger said

Dec 10, 2014, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver ]

I think we have a lot of great athletes that have to come here and do work to get playing time, whereas they could go to SCar, UNC, et al and start. However, when you compete with the best, you become better and reach your highest potential. Clemson has this synergism going right now at WR, they all make each other better.

Sure, you can start at Duke, but make sure you study hard and get a good education, because instead of playing on Sunday, you will be watching just like me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 7:39 AM

I never worry about wr. We sign enough depth isn't a problem.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given our depth at RB ...

Dec 10, 2014, 8:01 AM

... and considering Zac Brooks has good hands, what are the chances he gets moved to WR?

We have far more depth at WR than we do at RB

Dec 10, 2014, 9:33 AM

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oglesby and/or McCloud take some snaps at RB.

We will be pretty deep at RB next year

Dec 10, 2014, 9:56 AM

Gallman
Dye
Brooks
Davidson
Choice
Fuller

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: We will be pretty deep at RB next year

Dec 10, 2014, 10:38 AM

I expect Fuller to slide to defense in an effort to get playing time, Davidson's fumble woes will probably keep him off the field, and none of the other 4 guys have the speed of McCloud or Oglesby.

I don't think either of McCloud or Oglesby would get a ton of reps at RB, but they could get snaps as change-of-pace options.

Dec 10, 2014, 10:59 AM [ in reply to We will be pretty deep at RB next year ]

That's what I thought last year at this time before Dye, Brooks, Choice all went down

Hopefully we stay relatively healthy here next season

Dec 12, 2014, 12:28 AM

Dye and Choice are our top RB's. Brooks is a WR trying unsuccessfully
to play RB. Forget it. He's not a RB. Put him where he belongs---at
WR.

Dec 12, 2014, 12:22 AM [ in reply to We will be pretty deep at RB next year ]

I agree with the exception of Brooks, who lacks the size and power
to be a factor at RB. He is a WR. Put him there, and give him a
chance for success. He's not a RB.

I am all for that move!

Dec 10, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Given our depth at RB ... ]

I thought he was a RECEIVER in HS.

Re: Given our depth at RB ...

Dec 12, 2014, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Given our depth at RB ... ]

That's where he should have been playing al along. He has never been a
top running back and never will. He could be a very good WR. Hopefully
the staff will catch on.

It's gotten so bad, Stoudt has had to start throwing to

Dec 10, 2014, 8:20 AM

cornerbacks! :)

Re: It's gotten so bad, Stoudt has had to start throwing to

Dec 11, 2014, 9:48 AM

That's funny right there

Re: It's gotten so bad, Stoudt has had to start throwing to

Dec 12, 2014, 12:31 AM

Cole can hit those defensive backs. Unfortunately for us.

Dec 10, 2014, 9:42 AM

I don't think attrition is hurting us to bad. We still have multiple receivers available for bowl game. Biggest thing is a QB to throw to them. It has been mighty quiet on the health of DW this week, and I hope that he either has, or will have surgery before bowl game. Got to get him healthy for summer workouts and fall camp. Maybe the Elliott/Scott OC tandem will talk Dabo into using Nick in bowl game as the starter. Cole is gone after bowl, and Nick looks like the man for Spring Practice. Need to get him a lot of game time to have a semi productive spring. Granted, Isreal and Bryant are enrolling in January, but won't be familiar enough with Offense to contribute a whole lot. Looking forward to 2015 class and all the early enrollees. Should be plenty deep at WR.

Dec 10, 2014, 10:43 AM

One of the newspapers said Watson is having surgery. I'd guess they're right.

Dec 12, 2014, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Attrition testing Clemson's depth at wide receiver ]

I agree totally. I do believe that Nick Scheussler is a much better QB than
Cole Stoudt, but Dabo seems to have an obsession with Cole that I find hard
to understand. If he starts Cole in the bowl game, then I don't know that
I can bear to watch it.

Dec 10, 2014, 10:58 AM

Cain is absolutely better than Campbell - don't go by those ESPN rankings, they're garbage

Campbell is a fantastic prospect

Dec 10, 2014, 2:45 PM

at DB

Posted this yesterday about Kitt and our WR depth

Dec 10, 2014, 11:00 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16464343

Anyone who thinks we are not thin at WR needs to look at this:

2 Adrien Dunn WR 5-7/170 Freshman (RS) RS Clemson, SC Sociology
5 Germone Hopper WR 6-0/175 Sophomore (RS) 1VL Charlotte, NC Sociology
13 Adam Humphries WR 5-11/193 Senior 3VL Spartanburg, SC Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt
8 Demarre Kitt WR 6-1/183 Freshman HS Tyrone, GA Undeclared
84 Andrew Maass WR 6-4/190 Senior (RS) SQ Ridgeway, SC Mechanical Engineering
19 Charone Peake WR 6-3/204 Junior (RS) RS Moore, SC Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt
17 Kyrin Priester WR 6-1/186 Freshman HS Lilburn, GA Undeclared
35 Hunter Renfrow WR 5-10/170 Freshman HS Myrtle Beach, SC General Engineering
83 Daniel Rodriguez WR 5-8/175 Junior (RS) 2VL Stafford, VA Rec, Sport & Camp Mgmt
85 Seth Ryan WR 5-11/160 Freshman (RS) RS Summit, NJ Undeclared
3 Artavis Scott WR 5-11/190 Freshman HS Oldsmar, FL Undeclared
1 Trevion Thompson WR 6-3/191 Freshman HS Durham, NC Undeclared
7 Mike Williams WR 6-5/208 Sophomore 1VL Vance, SC Health Science

Adrian Dunn: Very small, never gonna be a contributor
Hopper: Had a very unproductive season except one game
Humphries: Graduating
Kitt: Gone
Andrew Maass: Who? Graduating anyways
Peake: Who knows if he will be healthy
Priester: Gone
Hunter Renfrow: Again who?
D-Rod: Gone, did not contribute except in garbage time
Seth Ryan: Only gonna be the place holder
Scott: Baller
Trevion: Complete unknown due to RS, has potential
Williams: Very good but IMO needs to get bigger/tougher. Always ends up on the ground.

So returning next year will be 2 productive receivers, 1 that's been injured for the majority of 2 years, 1 that's not really done anything due to discipline/dropping issues, 1 that's never seen a snap, and a bunch of guys that will never see the field except against SC st type teams.

We have some great talent coming in but we are really going to be highly dependent on a lot of guys whose production at a collegiate level is unknown. A few of those guys don't pan out or get injured, we've had a lot of ACL tears the last 2 years already, and we will be very thin next season.

Now if all those players stay healthy and pan out which I think they will (can't wait to see Cain aka Sammy 2.0) plus Gallman and Dye running and Leggett, Richard, and Smith at TE we will be a scoring Machine with DW slinging the ball around.

Notes on the returning guys on scholarship

Dec 10, 2014, 3:03 PM

> http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=
> 16464343

> Hopper: Had a very unproductive season except one
> game

Agree, hopefully he can improve his catching ability in the offseason

> Peake: Who knows if he will be healthy

If he is healthy though, watch out. He's shown flashes of brilliance.

> Scott: Baller

Yep

> Trevion: Complete unknown due to RS, has potential

Coaches have had a lot of good things to say about him, think he can at least be a serviceable #2 guy behind Williams or a healthy Peake

> Williams: Very good but IMO needs to get
> bigger/tougher. Always ends up on the ground.

I'd argue that Williams has looked great with Watson throwing to him and most of the time he's ended up on the ground it has been because he was coming back to get under-thrown balls.

So your starters are
Scott
Williams
Peake (if healthy) or Hopper,

Your backups are
Hopper (If Peake is healthy),
Thompson,
Probably walk-on Andrew Maass since he was in the 2-deep most of this season

I'm going to gamble and say that at least one of McCloud, Cain, and Bell makes the 2-deep by the end of fall camp, and nobody at this point is sure whether Oglesby is a WR or a RB (maybe both) but I think he avoids a redshirt due to his prep school experience.

We are MUCH MUCH better off than we were a year ago.

Dec 11, 2014, 3:35 AM [ in reply to Posted this yesterday about Kitt and our WR depth ]

I'm not worried about the WR position in the slightest even considering everything that you pointed out. Just think back to a year ago. In terms of production at the WR position that's returning, there's actually more receiving yardage by returning WR next year than any other year in the last 7 years except 2012. I would wager that it's actually the 2nd most returning production of any year for longer than that, but the website I was using didn't have stats going back that far.

We are in GREAT shape at WR for next year. How often does a team have their two best WR returning after their freshman and sophomore year where they accounted for the majority of passing offense with 1700 yards? These two guys are both still young and could both easily be all-ACC next year. They were both top 5 in the conference in receiving this year. That means we are returning 2 of the ACC's top 5 receivers, and 2 of those guys were seniors. No other ACC team has nearly that kind of WR production returning. I'll break it down further for you in detail just to make it clear how well off we really are even after losing Kitt.

Last year we were losing both Sammy and Bryant, who were by far our two most productive receivers. Out of the 3800 pass yards that Tajh had, those two guys had nearly 2300 of them. Add in HotRod's 200 yards receiving and that left only one third of our production returning. Once you take out the TE's and other RB's yardage, we were left with less than 25 percent of our passing offense returning at WR.

With arguably the greatest receiver we've ever had going in the first round, and Martavis Bryant also getting drafted and eventually becoming a #2/#3 WR as a rookie, it would be understandable to be concerned about how we would replace those guys yet even last year I wasn't concerned. We had Mike Williams, Adam Humphries, Germone Hopper, and Charone Peake returning along with four very talented 4 star receivers coming in and 3 enrolling in January.

Compared to this year when we have Mike Williams, Germone Hopper, Charone Peake, and Artavis Scott returning, Williams and Scott provided nearly 3 times as much offense as our top 2 returning WR's last year (Humphries and Williams). Hopper and Peake were returning both seasons, but they will have an extra year of experience, and Peake is further removed from his knee injury. I would much rather have this year's production with Williams and Scott (1700 yards) returning than last year's production of Humphries and Williams (700 yards). Once you add in Peake and Hopper that is nearly 2200 yards returning at WR next year. That's only a little bit less returning production as our best returning WR's ever in 2012 (2600 yards) when we had Nuk, Sammy, Bryant, Peake, and Humphries all returning.

Last year we lost our two top WR's; this year we are returning our top two WR's. The depth provided by Peake and Hopper returned both years. Unlike last year when we had the 4 talented freshmen coming in (Scott, Kitt, Priester, Thompson), we have 3 talented freshmen (McCloud, Cain, Bell) and a guy coming off redshirt (Thompson) who is supposed to have the best hands on the team by far.

Thompson was actually the highest rated prospect in last year's incoming WR class according to two services, but he was forced to redshirt because the other three WR's enrolled in January. It's obviously a much more important addition regarding next year than this year now that he has had a year of experience to learn the offense and get bigger and stronger than last year when he was a true freshman.

Although there's no way to know for sure, on paper I would say that Cain, McCloud, and Bell are a little better than Scott, Kitt, and Priester, at least going by recruiting rankings. In other words, we will be significantly better off at WR next year than we were this year, and our guys did fine this year especially considering the inconsistency at QB.

2015 returning/incoming (Williams, Scott, Peake, Hopper, Thompson, Cain, McCloud, Bell) >> 2014 returning/incoming (Humphries, Williams, Peake, Hopper, Thompson, Scott, Kitt, Priester)

If you look back at the returning and incoming WR over the last five years I actually don't think we are much worse off than any year other than 2012 when we had Nuk, Sammy, Bryant, Peake, and Humphries coming back. The 2013 returning/incoming WR's were actually very similar to next year's, and in terms of actual on the field production, they actually had considerably less yardage (1400 yards vs 2200 yards) because Sammy had his slight sophomore slump and Bryant only had 10 catches on the year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 11:15 AM

lol - of ALL positions that I might be the least bit worried about, WR is NOT one of them. Attrition should be expected at that position as we are HEAVY there. For me - I worry about our Lines - mostly the OLine (however it seems to be getting better in recent games). You give me the big uglies on the Oline, and I'll make our RB's look like Heisman candidates. JMO.

Hopper needs to step up IMHO.

Dec 10, 2014, 3:00 PM

The kid is very talented but just needs to be more consistent in catching, route running, etc.

Just my opinion, but Kitt may have.....

Dec 10, 2014, 4:16 PM

Also seen the writing on the wall.
In 2015,
things start with Scott/Williams.....but I truly expect Cain/McCloud to be in that next group,
reguardless! With Thompson adding minutes.

That would leave,
Peake, Hopper and (Kitt) on the outside looking in.

IMO.

If Rodriguez is only a junior, why is he leaving after bowl game?

Dec 10, 2014, 5:14 PM

Tia

Re: If Rodriguez is only a junior, why is he leaving after bowl game?

Dec 10, 2014, 9:30 PM

Rodriguez is not on scholarship, my guess is his GI bill runs out at the end of the year. So he's going to go pursue his life. He will be promoting his book and working on the movie about his life. With the inspiration that he brings to the team, it would be great to get him back as a GA. Maybe in the strength and conditioning program. Go Tigers.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic