Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's done. SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of gay marriage.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

It's done. SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of gay marriage.

Jun 26, 2015, 10:18 AM

CNN reporting now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: It's done. SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of gay marriage.

Jun 26, 2015, 10:26 AM

Not just that, but made marriage a fundamental right. Great day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2015, 10:34 AM

Awesome

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roberts voted against?

Jun 26, 2015, 10:37 AM

thats very odd indeed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2015, 10:41 AM

Some of the better dissent tears:

"If you are among the many Americans--of whatever sexual orientation--who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not Celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

- Chief Justice Roberts

"Those civil consequences—and the public approval that conferring the name of marriage evidences—can perhaps have adverse social effects, but no more adverse than the effects of many other controvers
ial laws. So it is not of special importance to me what the law says about marriage. It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today’s decree says that my Ruler, and
the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court. The opinion in these cases is the furthest extension in fact and the furthest extension one can even imagine—of the Court’s claimed power to create “liberties” that the Constitution and its Amendments neglect to mention. This practice of constitutional revision by an unelected committee of nine, always accompanied (as it is today) by extravagant praise of liberty, robs the People of the most important liberty they asserted in the Declaration of Independence and won in the Revolution of 1776: the freedom to govern themselves."

- Justice Scalia

Jun 26, 2015, 10:42 AM

Each dissenting judge wrote their own opinion

"The corollary of that principle is that human dignity
cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not
lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity)
because the government allowed them to be enslaved.
Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity
because the government confined them. And those denied
governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity
because the government denies them those benefits. The
government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it
away."

- Justice Thomas (###)

And who's payroll is he on...? His can't be taken away.

Jun 26, 2015, 2:19 PM

It's easy to talk down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for posting this. Scalia's remarks...***

Jun 26, 2015, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: It's done. SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of gay marriage. ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we can start tackling some important issues now***

Jun 26, 2015, 10:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe we can start tackling some important issues now***

Jun 26, 2015, 11:06 AM

So you are saying you are unable to handle multiple important issues simultaneously?

Oh you were just being an ###. Never mind.

who is the scok?***

Jun 26, 2015, 11:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who is the scok?***

Jun 26, 2015, 11:11 AM

I thought it was you, no?

I see no evidence that we can handle important issues at all

Jun 26, 2015, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Maybe we can start tackling some important issues now*** ]

Because we don't do it. This is not an important issue, in the grand scheme of things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see no evidence that we can handle important issues at all

Jun 26, 2015, 11:28 AM

It'd be interesting to see how important of an issue it would be if it was your marriage. Sounds like you simply lack empathy.

Kind of sounds like you lack a big picture perspective

Jun 26, 2015, 11:39 AM

In light of everything else happening in the world, even if this did pertain to my marriage...No, this would not be that important to me. Of course, as long as I had equal tax rights, I wouldn't be hell bent on calling it marriage, either.

Re: Kind of sounds like you lack a big picture perspective

Jun 26, 2015, 11:51 AM

Yeah, I think my initial point still stands. You are not capable of holding multiple important issues at once. Just because there are BIGGER issues doesn't mean this one isn't a very important one.

Me thinks you simply disagree with and thus don't care about this one in particular. Which is totally fine, but just say that.

I'm not capable of holding multiple important issues?

Jun 26, 2015, 11:59 AM

How do you figure?

And ultimately, no, I'm sorry, this is not an important issue. How many people will this affect? 1% of the population, maybe 2%? Also, I do not care about this issue.

Re: I'm not capable of holding multiple important issues?

Jun 26, 2015, 12:28 PM

Cool, I have no problem with you not caring about the issue, doesn't mean it's not important.

Not sure why you bring percentages into this. Would it matter if ONLY 2% of the population was black and they didn't have the same civil rights as us? I sure hope not.

On the list of things that I care about...

Jun 26, 2015, 11:07 AM

this ranks below "What's for dinner" and above "Did the stench of the crap I just took cause other people in the bathroom to gag"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On the list of things that I care about...

Jun 26, 2015, 11:08 AM

Kinda funny how the view changed from adamantly opposed to "I don't care now that we've lost".

I was never adamantly opposed. It only moved up on my

Jun 26, 2015, 11:12 AM

list because once the interns arrived on campus at work, I stopped caring about their well-being while I was depositing breakfast.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Republican turnout will be high in the next election.

Jun 26, 2015, 11:11 AM

With the Supreme court rulings on ACA, Gay marriage, and states taking down the Confederate Flag, they will be motivated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Republican turnout will be high in the next election.

Jun 26, 2015, 11:12 AM

I see your point on ACA. But for Gay marriage and the Confederate flag? You really want to be on the opposing and supporting side of those respectively?

???

Jun 26, 2015, 11:18 AM

Republican voters don't support ACA, Gay Marriage or taking down the Confederate flag. They will be motivated by these decisions to get out and vote in their peeps.

I've voted republican in every election since 1980

Jun 26, 2015, 11:25 AM

and support gay marriage and taking down the flag. I do not support the ACA, it is a big cluster F and I'm not sure it's worth the 30% increase in my premiums and 500% increase in my deductibles not counting the huge increase in federal spending to go along with the "hidden" tax on the middle class in the form of increased premiums and deductibles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree about ACA but for different reasons.***

Jun 26, 2015, 2:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ???

Jun 26, 2015, 11:30 AM [ in reply to ??? ]

Yeah, I'm saying that opposing Gay Marriage (politically, not religiously. You can believe whatever you'd like) and supporting the confederate flag are dumb ideas.

Does that clear it up?

Re: ???

Jun 26, 2015, 11:35 AM

and I would agree, but it does fire up the base of the party. And the ACA, no matter how successful it is, will be another.

Your brush is broad.

Jun 26, 2015, 11:36 AM [ in reply to ??? ]

I'm a conservative that thinks the flag should be placed in a museum. I'm a conservative who supports gay marriage. Even though the ACA didn't affect me in a negative way yet, I don't like it and know that there are better and simpler solutions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a reason every single Republican candidate for

Jun 26, 2015, 11:42 AM

President is against gay marriage including several who go so far as to support an amendment to The Constitution. Their polling tells them it's a winning position in the Republican primaries.

Right. It couldn't possibly be what they really think!***

Jun 26, 2015, 12:10 PM

Sure it could be! But it is definetely the majority opinion

Jun 26, 2015, 12:14 PM

of the party base, which was my original point, which your post reinforces.

No, your post clearly states that the reason they hold the..

Jun 26, 2015, 12:32 PM

opinion is the polling data from their base.

Of course it's the majority opinion of the conservative base. Who is arguing otherwise?

Re: No, your post clearly states that the reason they hold the..

Jun 26, 2015, 12:38 PM

The candidates may or may not actually hold those ideas. Politics pander to their bases all the time.

But enough about Obama and Hillary Clinton....I thought....

Jun 26, 2015, 12:41 PM

we were speaking of the GOP in this case.

Facts: 1. All Republican presidential candidates have

Jun 26, 2015, 1:16 PM [ in reply to No, your post clearly states that the reason they hold the.. ]

vowed to oppose gay marriage. 2. The Republican base opposes gay marriage. 3. Polling consistently shows the Republican base opposes gay marriage.

I wasn't implying they don't really believe that. I think they probably do. But, if the polling didn't show that it was the overwhelmingly dominant position of the party base, they probably wouldn't be so outspoken about it. They understand it is a litmus test for the party.

So, we agree.

Re: Facts: 1. All Republican presidential candidates have

Jun 26, 2015, 1:54 PM

Not sure it's solely the conservative base. Don't forget that a majority of California voted against gay marriage when Prop 8 came up.

Thin ice for Pubs... Aligning with Cal?.... Ooooooo.***

Jun 26, 2015, 2:08 PM

Public sentiment on this issue has changed very quickly,

Jun 26, 2015, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Facts: 1. All Republican presidential candidates have ]

and most of the popular votes since prop 8 in 2008 have gone to the same-sex rights side.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_legislation_in_the_United_States

#ACCFTS

I thought cam said this wouldn't happen.***

Jun 26, 2015, 11:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

It will be reversed. - cam***

Jun 26, 2015, 11:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cam is combing through the ruling right now

Jun 26, 2015, 12:36 PM

Looking for some word to misconstrue.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

It's just a passing fancy. - cam***

Jun 26, 2015, 12:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no Problem with them being gay

Jun 26, 2015, 12:39 PM

As long as they don't do gay things - Cam

'IT,' has just started.

Jun 26, 2015, 11:46 AM

I wish it was done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2015, 12:26 PM

Glad to hear the rest of the states are going to catch up to the others that already allowed this. A great day for America.

No, they aren't going to be given the chance/right....

Jun 26, 2015, 12:40 PM

to "catch-up". The SCOTUS just took the power from the states (where it belongs) and created a new Constitutional "right".

Should be interesting in a few years when public opinion changes quickly on some issue that liberals are on the other side of and then the court magically discovers another new right from the 14th amendment.

Re: No, they aren't going to be given the chance/right....

Jun 26, 2015, 1:19 PM

Meh, when it comes to basic human rights, I don't have much of a problem with some of the slower states being pushed. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the SCOTUS do something similar with desegregation of schools? I'd say that was the right move, and I think this falls in with that.

If the gays want to experience marriage and everything

Jun 26, 2015, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: It's done. SCOTUS rules 5-4 in favor of gay marriage. ]

that comes with it, be my guest.

2 gay dudes yelling at each other in the driveway about who gets custody of the cockapoo will be fun to watch.

Re: If the gays want to experience marriage and everything

Jun 26, 2015, 1:15 PM

Agreed!

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic