Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It’s crazy how many coaches/players over last decade should be in the ROH
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

It’s crazy how many coaches/players over last decade should be in the ROH

Mar 6, 2019, 11:08 AM

The Ring of Honor only has 9 football members (the whole 1981 team counts as 1 member). The last decade is without a doubt the greatest in Clemson history and there’s been so many players and coaches that should one day join the Ring. It could realistically double or triple just from this era.

Definites:
Deshaun Watson
Dabo Swinney
2016 team
2018 team

Probable:
Trevor Lawrence
Brent Venables
Hunter Renfrow
Travis ETN
Mitch Hyatt
Christian Wilkins

Possible:
Sammy Watkins
Nuk Hopkins
CJ Spiller
Vic Beasley
Jeff Scott/Tony Elliot

TBD:
Justyn Ross
Tee Higgins
Xavier Thomas
Brandon Streeter
AJ Terrell

Are there any other players or coaches that I’ve left off?
Who do you think should be in each category?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: It’s crazy how many coaches/players over last decade should be in the ROH

Mar 6, 2019, 11:34 AM

I will try to help you narrow it down because we know they won't all get there.

All national championship teams should be in no matter how many we get.

I don't see any coach making it unless they have been a head coach at Clemson.

Venables is the only exception I could see to that rule. For this reason move him to possible list.

All other assistant coaches off of the list for now.

I don't ever see an o-lineman making it. Hall of Fame for Hyatt but not ROH IMO.

ETN would have to break all rushing records or win the Heisman. Move down to possible.

Renfrow and Wilkins are in the same category for me. They will need a huge push from fans and will have to make an impact on the university moving forward. Both HOF for sure.

Sammy Watkins I believe is out because of the arrest while on campus and lack of post-Clemson stardom/impact on the university.

Nuk won't because of alleged displeasure with Clemson. Even though it's not real I think it will cost him.

IMO Spiller should be a definite. Changed the perception of Clemson and major impact since leaving.

Vic is HOF but not ROH IMO.

TBD players at bottom will have to outshine all others around them to have a shot.

In my opinion, I think the greatness of the era will hurt the chances of some to get in to the Ring of Honor.

If some of those guys played with fewer superstars then they would stand out more. Tajh is an example of this as he has since been overshadowed and is now not even on your list.

He is not in this era but I believe Brian Dawkins should be the next player inducted into the Ring of Honor. He checks all boxes: star player at Clemson, star player in NFL, amazing person off of the field.

Spiller should follow Dawkins.

Mar 6, 2019, 11:42 AM

Beat me to it, but seems like we agree on almost all points.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 11:40 AM

I agree with your definites. I would add CJ Spiller and Christian Wilkins to the list of definites. Trevor is pretty close already, and would become a definite with a second Natty, and/or a Heisman so I think that's a probable.

ETN is possible if he becomes the all time Clemson rushing leader (yards) after this season, or a Heisman finalist. I'm not sure he's on the same level as some of the others as far as leadership though.

Possible for me would be:
BV (would probably require him to finish out his career here as a DC or future HC)
Renfrow (amazing production as a walk-on and Clemson hero. Not as nationally renowned though)
Sammy (just a beast all around and one of the top WRs and returners in the nation, but his suspension might hurt his chances)
Hyatt (4 year starter at LT, 2 NCs, and named All-American multiple times. The more I think about it, he may be a probable)

I don't see Nuk or Vic. Not sure either got enough national fame, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.

All the rest remain to be seen. All these guys should be in the Clemson HoF someday though.

For those interested: https://clemsontigers.com/ring-of-honor/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 12:38 PM

Our major difference is Hyatt.

I'm just not sure that an o-lineman will have enough emotional attachment to get the vote after the number of years down the line that it has to be to enter the ROH.

The list starts and ends with CJ Spiller***

Mar 6, 2019, 11:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: The list starts and ends with CJ Spiller***

Mar 6, 2019, 12:39 PM

It starts at him in this era but certainly doesn't end there.

Mar 6, 2019, 11:58 AM

Remember one of the requirements are earn at least an undergraduate degree from Clemson. Right now if I'm not mistaken neither Nuc or Sammy has done that. Nuc even made the comment in the past as college was a scam or something like that. I do not see him coming back to finish his degree.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 12:41 PM

It will likely be a long time before Nuk is done playing in the NFL, but he is exactly the type of guy that Dabo keeps bringing back to finish their degree while serving as a student assistant coach.

His insight would be amazing to the WRs at the time if that type of thing is still happening once his playing days are over.

Mar 6, 2019, 1:16 PM

Nuc may end up being the best receiver to come through Clemson. If he stays healthy he will most definitely end up in the NFL HOF but his comments about college being a scam is what may keep him from coming back to get his degree. I don't believe he has anything against Clemson and he's stated that. But his beliefs about college is what keeps him from coming back. He's exactly who Dabo would want to bring back to get his degree and help out with the team but that's still probably 10 to 15 years down the road. His views about college may end up changing by then. Nuc's only setback was he didn't start out his Clemson career as a fulltime football player and that slowed his development somewhat at football. Imagine his numbers at Clemson if he hadn't played basketball during the offseason. When he quit basketball his production skyrocketed. I know many Clemson and Texan fans think he's the best in the game right now. it's hard to argue with what he's done his first 6 years in the league and most of those with subpar QB's throwing to him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s crazy how

Mar 6, 2019, 12:29 PM

CJ
DW4
CW42
Dabo
All in

The rest not so much.

Younger guys like TLaw perhaps but not a definite. Remember, the ROH takes in multiple factors including impact to the overall program and Clemson...not just being a good/great player on the field as that is only worth HOF. It is the elite of the elite.

Mar 6, 2019, 12:32 PM

Mike Williams

A lot of you guys are forgetting that the ROH is for........

Mar 6, 2019, 1:38 PM

a player who makes a rare/exceptional impact on the success of the Clemson football program.

So you can't say Brian Dawkins, for example. Of course, he was a great NFL player - is in the Pro Football HOF.

But he didn't have a rare/exceptional impact on the success of the Clemson football program. To put him in our ROH then would be overlooking other DBs who were as good or even better at Clemson.

Don't get me wrong. I think he's a great player - not trying to be a hater on him. I'm just using him to make a point that the ROH is for the rare breed of player that's exceptional at Clemson.

That's why there are only a handful of individual players in the ROH NOW.

Re: A lot of you guys are forgetting that the ROH is for........

Mar 6, 2019, 2:58 PM

There is one individual whom many of us older guys are pushing for ROH. Over his 40+ years service to Clemson, I can say no one has had more of a positive relationship to 1000s of Clemson Athletes over his service time. He was a father figure, big brother, counselor, and friend. He passed away in 1980 and us old folks who knew well are starting to fade away also. Herman McGee deserves to be there.

Re: A lot of you guys are forgetting that the ROH is for........

Mar 6, 2019, 3:08 PM [ in reply to A lot of you guys are forgetting that the ROH is for........ ]

Does Ring of Honor just include impact made on Clemson while playing?

Dawkins has made enough impact on Clemson that I believe the football program gives out a lifetime achievement award in his name each season.

Dawkins is Clemson's first ever NFL Hall of Famer. In my opinion that a huge impact on the current program.

Those two things are pretty rare/exceptional in my opinion.

Dawkins has continued his relationship with the school and football program and is continuing to impact Clemson.

If you disagree that he is worthy then we have a difference in opinion.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic