Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A stunning insight into the war on drugs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 682

A stunning insight into the war on drugs

Nov 8, 2020, 12:08 PM

Now that there is a recognition that the 'war on drugs' has been a dismal failure, it is unclear how to get out of it. This week 3 more states legalized recreational marijuana bringing the total now to 10 states where it can be bought in a store.

The contrast can't be more startling. Lee Carrol Booker is an 80-year-old disabled veteran serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole in Alabama because he got busted for growing pot for personal medical use in 2011. He had committed 2 prior felonies in the 1970's.

Richard Nixon began the 'war on drugs' in 1968 as a law and order issue. However, I learned today that John Ehrlichman, a Nixon aide that went to prison because of watergate, was interviewed in 1994 for an article on the war on drugs and said this:

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

It's not new for politicians to lie, both Dems and Reps do it. But the consequences of that particular lie have disproportionately devastated the Black community for decades.

Any thoughts on how we get out of this mess?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/07/opinion/sunday/election-marijuana-legalization.html

Message was edited by: Felix2®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A stunning insight into the war on drugs

Nov 8, 2020, 12:24 PM

As part of reparations maybe we could give them all a free prescription for medical marijuana?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TD'ed this???

Nov 8, 2020, 2:14 PM

You're a pathetic coward.

Nov 8, 2020, 12:25 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Yeah-cmon-2030576?tstart=360

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 12:46 PM

this is no secret, it is all on tape. Nixon was deeply paranoid and afraid of the counterculture movement, so pinning drug convictions on Hippies and blacks was a strategy to disenfranchise his political opposition.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 2:08 PM

It's your body. You should be able to put what you want in it, but taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for your medical expenses related to problems from purposefully ingesting chemicals.

Nov 8, 2020, 1:23 PM

also Or. decriminalized ALL drugs (even hard drugs)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Marijuana prohibition was explicitly racist from the beginning

Nov 8, 2020, 2:10 PM

long before Nixon was in office. Here are some quotes by Harry Anslinger, the first commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

"Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"The primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

https://www.azquotes.com/author/23159-Harry_J_Anslinger

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Marijuana prohibition was explicitly racist from the beginning

Nov 8, 2020, 2:15 PM

DAAAAYyyaaaaauuuumm!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Nov 8, 2020, 2:34 PM

Boohoo.... “Brooker had been convicted of armed robbery in Florida for holding up multiple liquor stores.”

Unrelated, I’m sure...”His son, Darren Lee Brooker, was found guilty of trafficking marijuana in 2013”

I hate when pos’s have to go to jail.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 3:21 PM

Very much related, he and his son lived together and were arrested at the same time for the same thing.

Convenient how you leave out the first part of that sentence in the Wikipedia article "More than 30 years prior to being convicted of marijuana possession,"

Even Roy Moore says his sentence is "excessive and unjustified".

But you definitely should not be smoking weed regardless of its legal status, can't really afford to risk losing any brain cells.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 4:04 PM

I don't know. It was multiple armed robberies, not a one-off. How many armed robberies before you get 30 years? How much different is armed robbery vs. attempted murder, not much in my book.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 4:14 PM

He wasn't in jail for 30 years, he was convicted on three counts of robbery with a firearm and one count of attempted robbery with a firearm (again, all at the same time) 30 years previous to being arrested for "drug trafficking"

But I guess that makes it okay to lock up the 76 year old for the rest of his life because now he's growing the scary plant behind his house. What a menace.

Nov 8, 2020, 3:32 PM

Felix,

1. Joe Biden can direct the DEA abd other federal agencies to de-prioritze marijuana possession especially in small quantities.

2. How about a state to state effort to decriminalize marijuana. South Carolina could make a fortune in taxes if we started growing it here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2020, 3:35 PM

Have to legalize it to tax it. Unfortunately, Joe has said he doesn't want to do this.

It's already being taxed in several states

Nov 8, 2020, 3:55 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's already being taxed in several states

Nov 8, 2020, 4:25 PM

All states with legalized marijuana. I'm not opposed to decriminalization, I just don't think it makes a lot of sense as you miss out on the tax revenue and still have no way to regulate the production/distribution.

Maybe some states first need to take that incremental decriminalization step before realizing that full legalization is actually a good thing.

But again, I do wish Biden was pushing for legalization instead of decriminalization.

Replies: 16
| visibility 682
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic