Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I the only one who thinks our win is a little overhyped?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Am I the only one who thinks our win is a little overhyped?

Mar 26, 2014, 9:48 AM

Don't get me wrong. I'm in incredibly proud of our guys and last night was another great game. We've climbed well above expectations this year and that is nothing to scoff at. But am I the only one that's not ready to say we're "back" just yet after 3 NIT wins? When Purnell was here, we were at least making the NCAA tournament and I'm of the mindset that it's better to lose a march madness play in game than to win the NIT.

Everybody says the fans are now back behind the program. really? it should be expected that we sell out for postseason games. we are clemson. Tigernet boards are the same ones that were calling for brownell's head after the unc game. You can't flip that much in one season and expect people to take you seriously when you say fan support is "back to where it was." While I hope to see our fan support continue into next year, it takes more than a couple of fan-filled postseason games to be convinced that our program support will be back.

and i'm no chicken little either. I believe Brownell has done plenty to keep his job going into next year, maybe even 2 years. Should we be excited over the current level of success we're enjoying? Absolutely. It just seems to be with the posts on here as well as plyler's blog today, that it's being just a little overhyped.

Feel free to disagree.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all about fun.

Mar 26, 2014, 9:50 AM

And last night's game was a lot of fun. A packed house, intense game, great atmosphere, and we won. It was awesome. You missed out. I think had you been there, you'd understand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: It's all about fun.

Mar 26, 2014, 9:55 AM

I get what you're saying and I'm not criticizing the specific fan excitement over the win last night. For example, i think it was awesome that we rushed the floor for a big postseason win and our last home game in littlejohn and that the fans were going crazy like they should have been. Just talking about the overall reaction to where our program is now based on some recent success.

Go look at the preseason predictions for this team

Mar 26, 2014, 9:58 AM

and then tell me how over hyped we are being. This is worth the excitement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What "overall reaction"?

Mar 26, 2014, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: It's all about fun. ]

I've seen no one here say we are world beaters or a lock for winning the ACC next year, or anything like that.

The simple fact is last night we saw our team play well, and do so against a good team who gave us fits for much of the night. We see a trend of the team playing better basketball throughout the year and are noting the positives.

What "overall reaction" are you suggesting is a bridge too far?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, next question***

Mar 26, 2014, 9:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I guess you had to be there.***

Mar 26, 2014, 9:51 AM

Re: Am I the only one who thinks our win is a little overhyped?

Mar 26, 2014, 9:55 AM

It's not about saying we're back, it's about bringing the excitement back and seeing the progress that has been made this year. Last years team folds like a cheap suit, but this years team with another year under Brownlee and REAL leadership on the team battles in the close games and has found a way to win most of them this year!

Mar 26, 2014, 9:59 AM

I completely agree with you but it seems more of the response that I've seen goes beyond that. just my two cents.

Trajectory

It's all about trajectory. What you see as wishy-washy, I look at as momentum. The team has improved all season and it's exciting to watch. The atmosphere, the wins, and the play on the court gives people hope in what Brownell is able to do here. Just enjoy the moment!

Disagree***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2014, 10:02 AM

Sounds to me like you want to see Brownell fired in year 3.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 AM

Picked to finish 14 out of 15 league teams. Finished 6th.

Beat Duke, and should have beat them twice if each team got the same benefit of the doubt from the refs.

A team with NO seniors, obvious improvement of every player throughout the season, and the miraculous development of a player who was just a raw athlete as a freshman to one of the best overall players in the ACC (and I'd argue the nation) as a junior.

That team picked to be among the ACC's worst now going to the final four of a national tournament, the last team in the Carolinas still playing ball this year.

Two signees whose prep credentials are stronger than any previous Brownell signee.

What's not to be excited about?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 26, 2014, 10:41 AM

We should just let this one pass b/c the guy don't get it. And when someone don't get it at times like this only means they have missed most of it during the course of it being put together. And no matter what we say to get them to see and understand what we're saying. They still won't get it b/c they missed the beginning of this story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno: Has anyone said it was a Final 4 win?

Mar 26, 2014, 10:15 AM

First off, when you say "We're back!" for Clemson basketball, just how far are you going?

I think, for the first time since Rick Barnes, fans can look at Clemson and see a team on the rise. That is exciting.

I think, and someone mentioned it last night, that we saw a team climb from the abyss of last year on nothing but guts and coaching, asking nothing but respect. That sort of underdog attitude is close to the heart of Clemson fans.

I firmly believe that when this team ... and, by extension, our school ... was slapped in the face by those two bull**** calls vs. Pitt and Duke that kept them out of the Dance, we decided to turn that experience into a positive.

The team invited everyone to come along for the party, and everyone was in a partying mood. We celebrate success, certainly. But more than that, we celebrate the response by the Sons of Clemson to adversity. We revel in things going right for a group who deserve it ... and so much more.

There is no way to over-hype that. And may we never grow too sophisticated, or too cool or too jaded, to feel that way.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bing, bang and BOOM!!! Gets it!!!***

Mar 26, 2014, 10:58 AM

Mar 26, 2014, 10:16 AM

Since we can't call people idiots, I'll ask...

Are you an idiot?

YES!!!!*******************

Mar 26, 2014, 10:29 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

It's a legitimate debate...

Mar 26, 2014, 10:39 AM

While fun to watch, it's disappointing that our standard has become going deep in the NIT. It's going to be interesting to see what we do without K.J. If we can fill that void and remain competitive in ACC play than I think it says a lot about the overall direction. If that becomes a set-back and we need to wait for the next set of superstars, I think Brad will run out of time.

Going deep into the NIT is not our standard.

Mar 26, 2014, 10:50 AM

But based on the fact that we are in the NIT this year, what's wrong with hoping for the best possible outcome (which is a deep run with a chance to win it?). I don't think anyone here is satisfied with the NIT every year, but based on where this team was last year, and predicted to be this year by the "experts," I think it's okay for us to be excited about the huge improvement our team has shown.

Being behind the team and proud of their accomplishments this year does NOT mean that we are satisfied with this as the pinnacle of Clemson basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 26, 2014, 10:42 AM

I guess I'm a 'Debbie Downer' as I expect more from our programs. I would love to see us beat UNC in Chapel Hill before I die. I would love to see us make the Sweet 16 (I think we got there with Cliff Ellis) or Elite 8 (missed it by 1 second). No - I'm not too impressed with our teams that can't win the BIG games. I'm not sure what we're missing, but we're still missing something. Of course I was the guy that wanted Rick Pitino when he left the Celtics. I think we opted for OP. Good choice - if you want to wallow in mediocrity for years. Let's see - Top 10/Final Four/National Championship OR NIT bound. Hmmmm. Hard choice for sure.

What are we missing? Let me think. Maybe a few fair

Mar 26, 2014, 11:06 AM

ref's calls at critical times of the game would help. Thankfully they couldn't control the "big win" over Duke during the season..

Never let your desire for more

Mar 26, 2014, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Am I the only one who thinks our win is a little overhyped? ]

Make you miss the joy in where you are.

Winning games is supposed to be fun. Enjoy it.

You don't have to believe this is the top or the goal to be able to enjoy the steps along the way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not just enjoy the win? Why does everything have to

Mar 26, 2014, 10:48 AM

be analyzed to death. NOBODY knows what will or will not happen with the basketball team so just relax and enjoy the game.

Mar 26, 2014, 10:59 AM

Yes, you are!

Yes***

Mar 26, 2014, 11:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a glorious night for Tiger Basketball

Mar 26, 2014, 11:14 AM

if enjoying a win and trip to Madison Square gardens is over hype what would your reaction have been to a loss. A tremendous effort by the Coaches and team..GO TIGERS !!!!

You have the pulse of a coot, yet your post seems like

Mar 26, 2014, 12:42 PM

that from a Tiger.

It has been my experience

Mar 26, 2014, 11:37 AM

to enjoy what you have while you have it. Sure an NCAA Tourney bid would have been awesome. But we didn't get it so we just have to enjoy the NIT. Which is fine by me. I believe that we should invest our support 100% in what we have going for us. It could be a bit premature to say that Clemson is "back." But there is the possibility that an NIT championship is all we need to get "back."

to say "we're back" would imply we were once "there"

Mar 26, 2014, 11:49 AM

For Clemson to have a bye in the first round of ACC tourney is an accomplishment. All the rest is icing right now on the cupcake that is this season

There's definitely something to what you're saying (but)

Mar 26, 2014, 12:07 PM

Since Cliff Ellis took over in 1984-1985, we've had 20 postseason trips, with 9 of those being NCAA Tournament Appearances. This level of success isn't unheard of at Clemson and making the postseason has pretty much been the norm for the last 30 years and not the exception.

What made last night and the past few games special was the fact that we hadn't made the postseason in the past 2 years. No player on the team had ever played in a postseason game, and coming into the season, no one was giving this team a chance either. Almost everyone was expecting this to be another losing season, but through a season of hard-work and determination, this team proved everyone wrong. They could have even quit again after such tough breaks against Pitt and Duke that cost them a chance at the Big Dance, but instead they decided to make the best of their opportunity.

Last night was special for the Tigers not because they pulled a miracle last night or played any better than they've played all season, but because they were finally able to validate would they've believed all season...that they're a pretty darn good basketball team. They've been playing good ball all year and it seemed as if no one had noticed. For the first time all year, the fans finally took notice and they've been rewarded with a trip to NYC and a chance to play in the world's most famous basketball venue.

TLDNR

Mar 26, 2014, 12:36 PM

Actually, you lost me at the part where you said it's better to loose than to win. Can we agree we have diametrically opposed positions and still be friends?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic