Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's a Long-Time Habit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,423

It's a Long-Time Habit

Apr 2, 2020, 4:17 PM

Many of us over time develop a habit that almost becomes a ritual. Many years ago, when I first went to bed, if I was not real tired and ready for sleep, I discovered I could do my best thinking. There was nothing to disturb me and I could concentrate on a problem or topic and, in most cases, find a solution to a problem and enjoy thinking about an interesting topic.

One of my favorite topics is the universe and space. Do you remember those problems where infinity was included in the answer? The concept of infinity his always intrigued me. I still think of a world with a finite number. We are told that our universe keeps expanding. Scientists also tell us the "big Bang" occurred over 13 plus billion years ago. Scientists have determined that, with new technology, they can spot a galaxy millions of light years away. Our own Milky Way is about 50,000 light years across. Anyone want to figure out how many zeroes that would be in miles? When we look into the night sky and see a distant star, today, that star may now be dead star or a wee bit of a dark hole.

The density of a dark hole is mind boggling. Could it become so dense that it cannot maintain it's current orbit?

Regret this is not a sports or coronavirus topic.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a Long-Time Habit

Apr 2, 2020, 4:19 PM

Joe,

You should consult Chuck Norris. I've been told he has counted to infinity twice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 4:53 PM

I'm with you Joe. I look up at the stars every morning and night while walking my dog and and amazed every day.

I did some figuring, and since I read somewhere scientists think the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across, that would be 6 x 10^17 (6 with 17 zeros) miles! Holy smokes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 5:01 PM

I miss being in places like 29 Palms or out at sea in the Indian Ocean. I try to explain to my kids (both still in Jr High and High School) what those night skies look like but words just don’t cut it. Then again, the trails of luminescent plankton the ships leave behind are a whole nuther wonder.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 5:12 PM

Mr. Joe, hope you are hunkered down and safe.. While a student at Clemson in early 70s, I elected to take two four hour courses in Astronomy as part of required courses in Science. I knew a little about navigating by the stars etc from prior military training and flight training. I learned a ton about our solar systems that I still enjoy to this day. Dr. B.B. Bookmeyer was my prof for both classes and a GREAT professor.

WT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 8:23 PM

I took those courses from Bookmeyer in 71 and 73! Had forgotten that name!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 5:10 PM

Thought you were going to say "picking my nose"!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2020, 7:36 PM

my thoughts have always dwelt on the question that if the entire universe was created by the singularity which became the big bang,then where did the space that accommodated the explosion come from and how did the singularity itself come into existence?i realize the religious implications and wonder how our concept of GOD fits into the theory.it makes me feel how small and insignificant our existence must be when compared to what we know as the universe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 2, 2020, 7:48 PM

I always ask the same question hoosicktiger. The Socratic Method of a child....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 3:15 PM

I forgot to ask why does the universe or multiverses exist.what exactly is the purpose, and how do the many dimensions fit in as well?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 2, 2020, 8:19 PM

Joe, since December there has been quite an intetest in the star Betelgeuse in the constellation Orion. A Red Giant, it is normally the 10th brightest star, it had dimmed considerably. Photos revealed it was shedding part of it's atmosphere and possibly in the process of going supernova. The star is 649 light years away and could have exploded as a supernova hundreds of years ago. Amd it is in our neighborhood, properly socisl distanced to prevent harm to us grom the explosion.

Betelgeuse has since brightened bsck to closer to normal and is not believed to go supernove soon. This gives some perspective on our neighboring stars and our galaxy. It is clear in Florence tonight and I may drag out my scope!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,423
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic