Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Out of curiosity
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 953

Out of curiosity

Sep 30, 2015, 9:27 PM

For those of you who think the game is going to be relatively close either way (meaning not those who think it's going to be 60-0 with 5 career ending injuries) would you have the same prediction if it was in sb this year instead? Just trying to get an idea of the value you put on dv...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wouldn't be words that I use to describe Death Valley.

Sep 30, 2015, 9:41 PM

I'd probably want you to come and experience this for yourself but a frame of reference my work.

I got my first taste of big boy football in Knoxville. I remember when I first experienced Death Valley back in the eighties. I'd say Neyland's 105K times 1.12.

Auburn was in Knoxville and I compared that to Virginia came in Clemson. Virginia, a team we had a ~27-0 record with.

I was in the upper deck, I can't imagine how much louder the field may have been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It wouldn't be words that I use to describe Death Valley.

Oct 1, 2015, 8:17 AM

Thanks for the info, but was looking more for point swing by having home field advantage, 3, 4, 7, 10 pts?

Re: It wouldn't be words that I use to describe Death Valley.

Oct 1, 2015, 9:15 AM

I think in Death Valley we win by 7 to 10. SB we win by 3 or lose by three. That is assuming equal or no turnovers for either team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it is going to be close, and would be close up there

Oct 1, 2015, 9:25 AM

Can Death Valley make a difference? I certainly hope so. It has in the past. The design makes field noise loud, very loud. 10-12 hours of tailgating doesn't hurt. A big name opponent visiting absolutely helps. A solid Clemson defense and quick strike offense, both help.

But my take on the crowd. Clemson SC is a town of roughly 14,500 people 358 days a year. It is on those other 7 days when it goes from being a town to a city. Most games there are thousands outside that don't even come in. Estimates for Georgia game 2 years ago were as many people watched outside as watched inside. I drive 584 miles round trip to home games. Some drive further. 7 times a year, we travel and on those 7 Saturdays we let loose. It gets loud. Really loud. The stadium does in fact move. From the time the student section sees the headlights of the buses as they round the corner approximately 7 minutes before game time Death Valley and Clemson SC- with a new population at 8pm of about 125,000 people- comes alive.

We will find out in 60 hours if playing at home helps decide the outcome. Until then, it builds. You will get our best shot, from the players to the fans.

May the best team win!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out of curiosity

Oct 1, 2015, 9:31 AM

I've always felt the home field advantage occurred:
1. the first five or so minutes of the game
2. after a turnover, or big stop
3. the last ten minutes of a close game

For about 3/4's of the game, I'm not sure it matters, the caveat being if the home team capitalizes on momentum and smells blood in the water, the crowd can feed off of it until the game is no longer in doubt. The FSU game, '13, aside, that's when close games tend to become blowouts that aren't necessarily indicative of the quality of the opponent. More a bad day on the home team's really good one. Life happens!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absolutely agree

Oct 1, 2015, 9:46 AM

points 1-3 are spot on

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking 27-23 Tigers. If in South Bend, I'd probably

Oct 1, 2015, 9:36 AM

flip the scores of the two teams.

Neutral field? Who the heck knows?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out of curiosity

Oct 1, 2015, 9:45 AM

This season as young as we are I could see us losing if the game where in SB. So we will see how the game goes in DV. Next year when we do play ND on the road the Tigers should be a solid top 5 team.

Replies: 8
| visibility 953
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic