Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why can’t robbie Caldwell land elite offensive lineman???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Why can’t robbie Caldwell land elite offensive lineman???

Mar 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

Did not age well

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why can’t robbie Caldwell land elite offensive lineman???

Mar 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

It did not.

Mar 11, 2019, 8:38 PM

Actually RC has struggled for a number of landing top shelf linemen compared to other position groups. Calling one outlier a trend and ignoring several years makes you look silly and uninformed

Mar 11, 2019, 9:20 PM

He’s landed 5 star lineman and really high 4 stars just not all in 1 class. Although the Hyatt frumorgen class was good.

Mar 11, 2019, 9:27 PM

Compared to DE or WR his recruiting is lagging. He has obviously done a nice job with the guys on campus but the OP made it seemed like our OL recruiting struggles were not real because of one very good class which is not true

Mar 11, 2019, 10:14 PM

OP is dealing with a lot of recency bias. Your overall point is right jstone that Caldwell had struggled to consistently land elite OL.

IMO it was because the recruiting strategy was flawed where they wouldn’t pursue a 4* guy very hard because they were only going after 5* guys and weren’t closing hardly any then they would chase the remaining 3*’s after they were out of it with the blue chips because the 4*’s had been gobbled up.

This year’s strategy was to go after the high 4* guys early and has yielded great results. So yes this OL class is an outlier but it appears to be a shift in recruiting strategy at the position which I think is extremely positive.

Also wouldn’t put much stock in the OP’s comments because I’m sure he was one of the ones that said “OL Stars don’t matter”. Always good to start with a higher talent base than not.

Mar 11, 2019, 11:23 PM

You just got me figured out don’t you? You’re wrong on every assumption

Mar 12, 2019, 7:12 AM

Tiger RagE said:

You just got me figured out don’t you? You’re wrong on every assumption

Why don’t you enlighten us?

Mar 12, 2019, 7:23 AM

I’ve never said stars don’t matter like this guy assumes I have. It is true Caldwell was recruiting worse than anybody else but it’s not like we haven’t landed good lineman. Hyatt Simpson and bockhurst were all highly highly rated. Crowded too years ago

Just going off of Rivals...it looks like Caldwell has

Mar 11, 2019, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Why can’t robbie Caldwell land elite offensive lineman??? ]

had numerous 4 star Linemen:

Will Putnam this year
Carman in 2018 was a five star
Bockhorst in 2017
John Simpson in 2016
Fruhmorgen and Hyatt in 2015
Crowder in 2013

Before that I'm not sure we really put it on Caldwell, right?

I mean, there's only 3-4 five star linemen every year.

I don't know...across the board at Clemson, I just don't have any appetite to question these coaches when it comes to their recruiting. Look at how our Oline played this year. Look how squeaky clean TL was in the championship. 12th in sacks allowed. 10th in Rushing Offense. Finishing the national championship with a ten minute drive...imposing our will on Syracuse in the second half. They are a big part of these stats.

We know Dabo recruits to a culture, not just a skill level. And we know we're winning national championships. So as a staff, I just think they know what they are doing.

null

Re: Just going off of Rivals...it looks like Caldwell has

Mar 12, 2019, 6:39 AM

You guys act as if Caldwell is the only one responsible for recruiting OL. Would have had more legs had you said the Clemson STAFF's OL recruiting is not up to par with the WR, QB or DE recruiting. I'd say winning 10+ games 8 years in a row and 55 in the last four, the OL had just a "little" something to do with it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was never all on Caldwell

Mar 12, 2019, 6:52 AM

But it’s his position group so that’s who’s going to get most of the blame. Most places your TE coach carries a lot of the weight for OL recruiting and the OL coach is the developer. I think Caldwell is a great developer. I don’t think Pearman is a strong recruiter or developer

Re: It was never all on Caldwell

Mar 12, 2019, 7:10 AM

yep just think if we didnt have pearman and caldwell we just might win it all. oh wait. do you people not see how utterly moronic that bs is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was never all on Caldwell

Mar 12, 2019, 7:58 AM

Sorry forgot it’s not allowed to point out anything that can be improved. Why are you not able to process more than one thought on a similar subject at one time? It is possible to love where the program is at and at the same time see things where it can get even better.

If we were only signing 1-1.5 blue chips per class at WR, DL, LB, DB people would be saying it could be better. Our OL has been good and it was great at times last year especially when it counted, but they also have the capability to be even better.

Mar 12, 2019, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Just going off of Rivals...it looks like Caldwell has ]

Sometimes you win in spite of something instead because of something. Look at how many WRs we put in the NFL vs the number of OL we have in the league. Other staffs use this against us. Our OL was excellent last year which is a tribute to CRC but has not always been that way.

Mar 12, 2019, 7:24 AM

It’s like when kelly took us to the playoffs even though kelly really didn’t take us to the playoffs. I get your point

LoL***

Mar 12, 2019, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Just going off of Rivals...it looks like Caldwell has ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

LoL ***

Mar 12, 2019, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Just going off of Rivals...it looks like Caldwell has ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

For those of you concerned about RC's recruitment of 5-Star

Mar 12, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Just going off of Rivals...it looks like Caldwell has ]

How about follow this link to the 2019 ESPN rankings link page by position. I didn't go much further than this because the data fit with my personal opinion anyway ;) .

There is EXACTLY 1 5-Star Offensive Lineman in the entire 2019 class according to this list. I am sure that you can find different lists, and that count may vary. It wont move very much though.

In HS "most" of the super talented big men are playing on Defense. Many move to offense at the next level if they are better suited for that side of the ball.

The five-star guys usually are at DE, QB, WR, RB, and DB. You don't see many LB's or TE's that get 5 -Stars either. You do sometimes see guys that are classified as "ATH" get the 5-star tag, but those kids are usually just phenomenal athletes that will succeed wherever they fit in.

Oh well, read them and weep!

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/position/order/true/position/center

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Why can’t robbie Caldwell land elite offensive lineman??? ]

If you compared Georgia's OL recruiting to our WR and DE classes it would be lagging. I have been concerned the last couple of years because the classes looked pretty weak until Carmen in 2017 and Putnam in 2018 announced late and were solid classes in the end. It is not fair to Caldwell to compare things to position groups where we have a head start against every school in the nation, including Georgia and Alabama, because of our reputation. It is also not fair for us to always compare to Georgia, because they are in that position with O linemen. I think Caldwell has done well and I am happy for the early commits so that he won't scare the mess out of me again this year.

Mar 12, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Why can’t robbie Caldwell land elite offensive lineman??? ]

Compared to our WR and DE recruiting, Georgia's OL recruiting is lagging.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic