Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It may sound weird, but I told my fiancée we had the win by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

It may sound weird, but I told my fiancée we had the win by

Jan 8, 2019, 1:47 AM

The end of the National Anthem. I'm a huge aviation guy - that U2 flew over and I nearly 5hit. That's the rarest of birds - we're talking OF ALL TIME. And I saw the shadow of that U2 come over and I lost it. And at the same time,. I remembered - Rudy Anderson: from Greenville, Clemson Graduate, U2 pilot and the only casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis. I told my fiancée at that moment that we had that game. And it happened. I don't believe in signs, but a U2 flying overhead is like nothing I've ever seen. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is. Bad A55.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

History is cool... +1.***

Jan 8, 2019, 1:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It may sound weird, but I told my fiancée we had the win by

Jan 8, 2019, 1:50 AM

Awesome. I didn’t think I’d seen that before. Excellent

Jan 8, 2019, 1:54 AM

I am so glad you mentioned this. The U2 operation at Area 51 is the reason for Area 51. Code named Aquatone, the eventual successor to the U2 was the Blackbird. I was in awe, what a treat, a truly amazing night all around. Go Tigers!!!

For those of us less aviation-informed

Jan 8, 2019, 1:56 AM

Why is the U2 such a rarity?

Clemson

Re: For those of us less aviation-informed

Jan 8, 2019, 2:15 AM

Seriously? Everything about it. It was built in the 50's and is still crazier than anything we've built. It operates at over 100k ft - those pilots routinely stare at the curvature of the Earth. it's landing gear consists of basically an ice skate. It takes off and lands by the use of pilots that follow behind in Corvettes and tell the pilots when to rotate and flare. It leaks fuel on the ground, because it's built to expand in the heat of the atmosphere and swell up and seal the leaks. It has an extremely narrow margin between stall and Vne (speed never to be exceeded) - like 5 kts.. a 5 kt difference between crashing either way.. In short, it's the rarest of the rare - the most elite of the elite. I was at the game with an AF pilot and after the fact, he told me he's never seen one in person before. If you were there, you saw something that the fewest of people have ever seen. It's a jet that basically operates in space and tells the government where 5hit is going down. Never seen, never heard - and we had a flyover with one.

Jan 8, 2019, 2:22 AM

Many rare views in Cali tonight

Excellent response, thank you. Have a TU***

Jan 8, 2019, 2:48 AM [ in reply to Re: For those of us less aviation-informed ]

Clemson

Jan 8, 2019, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: For those of us less aviation-informed ]

There is a great Mythbusters episode where the guys train to ride-along on a U2 flight. It goes into all the details of the program and the amazing things these near-astronauts have to do. I thought it was amazing to see one do the flyover as well.

Jan 8, 2019, 6:40 AM

Thank you for the info!!!!

Jan 8, 2019, 7:20 AM

Glad this rarity was confirmed above because when I saw the U2 on TV, I thought, "I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these do a flyover!" Was very thrilled to see this and wish I could've been there in person.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic