Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It kinda sucks that the best college baseball program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

It kinda sucks that the best college baseball program

Jun 17, 2012, 11:16 AM

of all time in a 3 year period is our rival. i wonder how far we could have went in the tourney had we not had to play them. Nobody else seems to be playing them as well as we did.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It kinda sucks that the best college baseball program

Jun 17, 2012, 11:32 AM

It is what it is. I just wish our fans would just stop looking at what it could have been b/c it isn't. Just stop putting feathers in their chicken. Our job is to pluck them out. Hopefully we will do just that in November.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2012, 11:53 AM

It's the end of days. The myans were right. Carolina cannot be THIS great! For that matter..no team in college baseball history has been this unbeatable. I'm glad I know Christ !!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2012, 12:10 PM

I hate to admit it but it looks like the only team that will ever best the 22 ncaa and 12 CWS consecutive wins is the chickens. Hopefully they won't make it to 13 and 23. The old records stood for a loooong time and were thought unassailable. It is unbelievable....even moreso that it is them doing it. Perhaps the Mayans were right......

Jun 17, 2012, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: It kinda sucks that the best college baseball program ]

SO you know Christ but you're talking about the Mayans prediction of the end of the world? SHow me this verse in the bible....

Jun 17, 2012, 12:41 PM

Southern Cal won 5 consecutive titles.
LSU won 5 titles in one decade - the 90s.
The post winning streak is impressive but with post season format changes it is little more than a future trivia question.
If south Carolina gets knocked out they could easily become the next Oregon state.

One of the problems is most people don't know crap about college baseball and freak out about what SC is doing. There have been 65 college world series yet all those titles are shared by only 24 teams. 14 of those teams have multiple championships. 6 different teams have repeated a total of 9 times. It just sucks that SC got there before we did, but there is nothing rarified (amongst CWS champs) about what they've done yet. If they win this one though, that's a whole different ball of wax.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't get over the fact that we were so close to stopping

Jun 17, 2012, 12:49 PM

this run in Columbia. We lost to them 3 times by 1 run this year in games that could have gone either way.
In Charleston, a diving miraculous catch in the 9th saves a run.
In Columbia, controversial call, and we had the lead going in the 9th.
Last game, Felder's 9th inning so close 2 run homer for the win.
It's just hard to swallow that we were that close to USuC not even being in Omaha.

Jun 17, 2012, 1:03 PM

Southern Cal had a string like this before, actually winning four. So I wouldn't automatically say the Chickens are better than that team.

Jun 17, 2012, 1:06 PM

SoCal won 5 straight and 7 in 11 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in fairness

Jun 17, 2012, 1:12 PM

baseball had a lot fewer strong programs to contend with back then .. was much easier to make it to omaha back in the day

plus ... that the chickens have won all these game in a row is freakish

Re: in fairness

Jun 17, 2012, 1:26 PM

Really not true. The acc is a stronger conference than it was. The rest is about the same. And the system is a lot easier now than the old six team true double elimination format. Drawing from only 48 schools and putting 6 teams in eight regionals meant a lot stiffer competition. You have the added super regional rounds now - but top seeds get to play at home and reset their pitching rotation. You had to get wins out of mid week guys to survive the previous format.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Jun 17, 2012, 2:23 PM

Being fair it is harder now. You hardly see any home runs anymore and no other team has gone straight through with out a loss. How hard would you say it would be if you started right now and had to go 23 straight games with out a loss? A little more daunting when you look at it like that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2012, 2:30 PM

Not only 23 straight wins, but post season at that. That means there's not wins against weak programs to pad the stats; every team in the post season had a good enough season to be elevated to the cream of the crop status at least in the years they make the post season. Calling what South Carolina has done anything less than exceptionally special and incredible is just trying to demean the team/school (nothing wrong with that if it's your cup o' tea). Like it or not, this is one of the most dominant teams in college baseball history.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2012, 4:28 PM

My reply - which this eventually traces back to - was in regards to the comment that 3 championships was the greatest of all time. The postseason win streak is very impressive, but I think it will be a footnote to how many championships they win. Does anyone sit around talking about how UCLA won 36 consecutive post season games? Or do they talk about the 7 championships?

Jun 17, 2012, 6:15 PM

People talk about 50+ in Chapel Hill?

Jun 18, 2012, 2:10 PM

What a ####. Everyone here is praising your team.

Jun 17, 2012, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: in fairness ]

If you're talking basketball.. YEAH, people do see Wooden's records as the Holy Grail... I don't think anyone with half a brain would say SCar's run is the greatest of all time.. But it's certainly in "rare air".. something you dispute.. Not even Southern Cal or LSU, in the hey day of their dominance, won that many post season games in a row.. and they certainly didn't deal with the parity that's in college baseball now. IT's ok to hate 'em.. but gotta admire what they've done.

Jun 18, 2012, 12:04 AM

LSUs run was 1991 to 2000. Hardly ancient history. You're arguing to argue and are like many that first tuned into college baseball for the first time in June of 2010.

You also can't comprehend either. The point about wooden/ucla was that people only care about the championships. No one points out how many post season consecutive victories they had. I had to add it up myself. Google ucla post season win streak - you won't find anything. In fact, what you'll get is ten pages of articles about South Carolina baseball team since apparently this is the first time in history we've ever given a crap about this stat. If it is so meaningful why have we never payed attention in any other sport?

Jun 17, 2012, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: in fairness ]

How does that make it harder? Its just different. everyone has to use the same bats.

Jun 17, 2012, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: in fairness ]

Odd that your view is "fact" yet just the opposite is espoused by actual coaches that have done it.. Check out the perspective of Skip Bertman... I'd put a lot more stock in what he says than your nickel seats opinion.. He claims that in the past, there were FAR FEWER quality teams... and that baseball has elevated in practically every conference..

Spin it how you want...but the chickens have made a historic run.. living with it and deciding to elevate Tiger programs to that level is the answer.. denial won't get you there.

they've won one game in the 2012 CWS so far

Jun 17, 2012, 4:43 PM

even though it was against the 1 seed let's not jump the gun, rememer in 2010 when we beat the #1 seed ASU?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

They just own us right now...

Jun 17, 2012, 6:23 PM

They own us in baseball! Beat us like they own us in basketball (even when they blow goats) and we cannot even beat them on the football field. I mean, come on... 3years!!! I hate to say it. But they OWN us.
Until we get rid of DABO, the Cheerleader, they will continue their dominance.
Really, what time is our game this weekend?

We only won 35 games. We are not very good right now.***

Jun 17, 2012, 11:30 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic