Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,881

Clemson basketball

Nov 6, 2019, 7:21 PM

I know I'm just an "old fart " that most of you pay no attention to but here is my thoughts on basketball. We have had many coaches over the years that have had teams that played defense good enough to win in the ACC. We have not been able ( no matter who the coach is) to score at a CONSISTENT level to maintain any sort of CONSISTENCY to CONTINULLY compete at a high level in the conference and consequently nationally. There have been a few ( and far between) teams that have done so over the last 50 years but not many. The name of the game is BASKETBALL. No matter how well you play defensively you HAVE to be able to put the ball "IN THE BASKET" with a certain level of consistency !!
Maybe a new coach helps but I kinda doubt it. It has not consistently in half a century at least .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson basketball

Nov 6, 2019, 7:25 PM

Most coaches average 0.0 from the floor , but I think you're on target about how not scoring enough leads to losses .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 6, 2019, 7:32 PM

Clemson is ONE big time player away from becoming a factor in ACC basketball. One big time guy can make a tremendous difference. Can you imagine what Tiger basketball would be like today if Zion had played one year in Tigertown? It will happen and I am going to support this team every day knowing that that guy will come along soon. Complaining and calling for a coaching change does NO good for this program. NONE

Nov 6, 2019, 8:57 PM

One vs three won't get it, and if you look at the top teams in college basketball, and not just the ACC you need 3 Big Time players if you want to compete night in, and night out.
Even if Zion had played one year, he would still need a supporting cast to match up with the other teams' Big Time players.
And calling for a coaching change just might be what we need after what I saw last night. I know it was only one game, but it was a repeat of too many games from last season.

It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a

Nov 6, 2019, 7:36 PM

higher level in basketball. That certainly seems to be the case; we don't care enough to do what it takes. We have very clearly accepted mediocrity.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a

Nov 6, 2019, 7:45 PM

Clemson basketball was making the move toward the top when Rick Barnes came on board. If we could have kept him we wouldn’t be where we are today. Most of you will never agree to this but I’ve always felt that his leaving was a disaster. The ACC was glad he left I assure you of that.

Nov 6, 2019, 7:56 PM

Clemson basketball was making the move toward the top when Rick Barnes came on board. If we could have kept him we wouldn’t be where we are today. Most of you will never agree to this but I’ve always felt that his leaving was a disaster. The ACC was glad he left I assure you of that.

We had another with Oliver Purnell. People keep mentioning the 0-4 for from NCAAT but at least we were consistently relevant and had a brand with a fun style. We would have eventually won a tourney game. People mention how good FSU in hoops is now but OP had a better head to head record vs Leonard Hamilton at Clemson. I’m not the biggest DRad fan on seeming to just ride out the program, but he would have least kept making OP happy with contract extensions like he has done with Brad Brownell.

Nov 6, 2019, 9:02 PM

Wow, we would have eventually won a playoff game.That's like saying Clemson might one day beat Alabama in football. Oh wait, we have; twice, which is 2 more tournament games then we might have eventually won under O.P.

Oliver didn't give TDP a chance to counter DePaul, I doubt

Nov 7, 2019, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a ]

an extension would have helped, OP seemed set on running away

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oliver didn't give TDP a chance to counter DePaul, I doubt

Nov 7, 2019, 10:42 AM

Right. OP walked out on the players and the university. No use for a man of that caliber. When is the last time you heard from him?

Nov 7, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a ]

The "Havoc" defense of OP (and latter basketball coaching trees like Shaka) is kinda like CJP and flexbone.

It makes less talented players more competitive against mid-level and better talents BUT it only has a few seasons before common opponents begin adapting to it. Give coaches/teams enough time to prep (like for the NCAAs) and it becomes difficult to win. Also, it tends not to attract "offensive" minded players.

Finally, OP got weirdly lucky that Booker turned out to be a legitimate NBA talent. Really, the only reason we landed Booker was because only Wofford was our competition. You basically need the entire NCAA basketball world to strike out on that type of player to have them land on our lap. OP was oddly lucky.

Agreed.***

Nov 6, 2019, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agreed.***

Nov 6, 2019, 8:21 PM

Well, I don't keep up with basketball team to much but from what I read, they need to quit shooting so many 3's. Just my thought. May be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Either that, or start making a lot more of them.***

Nov 6, 2019, 8:22 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agreed.***

Nov 7, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Agreed.*** ]

Actually they just need to make more. If you shoot sixty and only make 20 you have 60 points right there, poor shooting but the results can be good. It’s never about percentage. It’s about how many !

Nov 6, 2019, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a ]

Wow, just what we need, old news!

Nov 6, 2019, 8:25 PM [ in reply to It is pathetic if we believe we simply can't compete at a ]

I agree we have accepted mediocre. It was evident on how many showed up at the game opener to support the team in the stands. People don't care until u win ball games and if ur not winning for the love of God make it exciting. Nobody wants to watch a 50-52 type slobber knocker dragged out by poor offense. I love Brad and have been a huge supporter , but he just doesn't recruit shooters. He primarily recruits defensive players. Now we are left to endure another year where all we have is a perimeter shooting team who can't shoot. Facts are sad, but even more so is that our University fails to give Brad a threat to get better. Ultimatum

Brad doesn’t recruit shooters?

Nov 6, 2019, 10:37 PM

All three of our freshmen this year are good shooters. One of them, Hemenway, is an excellent shooter.

Hunter Tyson, a sophomore, is also a good shooter.

We’ve played ONE game. You’ll see that this year’s team can shoot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Brad doesn’t recruit shooters?

Nov 7, 2019, 10:03 AM

If you watched Cole Anthony last night you saw a shooter that Coach Brownell recruited. My grandson played with Anthony in camp at Oak Hill and he told me that he was interested in the Tigers.
All we need is a player of that caliber to get us going.

One game does not make a season. There will be continuous improvement in this young team all year. If you can’t be positive about Clemson basketball at least be silent. No one listens to you anyway.

Judge I will give you credit

Nov 7, 2019, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Brad doesn’t recruit shooters? ]

Re: Judge I will give you credit

Nov 7, 2019, 10:34 AM

Best scoring teams I recall were with Wise and Rollins, Nance et al, Vince Hamilton with Horace and Harvey Grant, and 2 years ago with Reid, Devoe et al.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Judge I will give you credit ]

Did you watch UVA and Syracuse last night? They shot the ball worse than the Tigers and they will likely be top teams all year. First game. I don’t recall seeing a game thus far where a team was really ready to play offensively. First game.
With that said, you must win the home games and the Tigers didn’t do it. Road teams won most of the games thus far. Unusual but ... first game.

Shooting foul shots should be so easy for a high level player. Mentally not ready I guess.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Judge I will give you credit ]

I was less than thrilled as to the second half of the game. I feel we poor choices and kinda panicked trying to "re-win" the game/momentum with threes. The TO was not fast enough to happen. It was obvious that we were a young team not playing well in a very ugly game. We lost in a ugly fight. Worse, we somehow looked even less deep than last year. That bothers me a bit but considering injuries, it should not be an issue at this point.

At this time, I will chalk it up to first game jitters and inexperience in closing out a game were we initially played well. We need FAST development from our bench. I won't abandon our team (or start sharpening the axe yet) since it is only one game, but some of the issued did not leave me very hopeful.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,881
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic