Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I, generally, hold people that I know to be religious in a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

I, generally, hold people that I know to be religious in a

Mar 11, 2020, 3:53 PM

little bit higher regard, as I feel like they act and do things in accordance with their faith, good faith. With that said, my son's pediatrician went overboard today. This is a woman we've known for sixteen years that has helped us navigate some of the most difficult decisions regarding our son's health. In those years, we've talked about bible studies she's done, bible studies that we've done, and certainly faith in general terms; so I don't mind crossing the professional/personal boundary with someone we've grown to trust and depend on in critical situations.

Her general approach to my son's illness has been, "God has a plan for everyone". I can buy that. Well today, she furthers the conversation by saying that she asked God why no one has found a cure for autism. She said God told her that that person was aborted. Of course, she follows with saying it wasn't an audible voice, just what He put on her heart. And then, "I can tell by looking at you, you don't believe me." Sixteen yr LilOldSlac#1 says, "Doc, I respect your faith and your opinion, but I hold a more secular belief on the subject, I'm pro-choice."

It was the end of the appt, and I didn't feel like there was much to be gained by telling her how wildly inappropriate it was, so I minimized it with LilSlac and went on. She's retiring, anyway.

But here is the catch. If she believes something that far out of left field crazy, should we have been trusting her with professional advice all these years? I'm not saying she is off the deep end religidiot rapture kind of nutty, because she's not. However, if she'd have said this 10 years ago, I'd have changed pediatricians without hesitating. There is a point where incursion of religious beliefs travel too far in a professional setting that leads me to trust someone less. That is exactly what happened today.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand her answer.

Mar 11, 2020, 4:20 PM

'She said God told her that that person was aborted.' I do not understand how that relates to the question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The person who would have cured autism was aborted.

Mar 11, 2020, 4:22 PM

That's a particular snake that a medical professional shouldn't be walking around with in her head, and certainly shouldn't be sharing with patients.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I thought she was saying aborted fetuses turn into

Mar 11, 2020, 4:23 PM

autistic people.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh I thought she was saying aborted fetuses turn into

Mar 11, 2020, 4:25 PM

And here I thought she was saying we needed more stem-cell research.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh I thought she was saying aborted fetuses turn into

Mar 11, 2020, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Oh I thought she was saying aborted fetuses turn into ]

That's what I thought she was saying too.

So instead of the autistic victims being the cause, it's mankind's intrinsic unworthiness that's ultimately the root cause. I...guess that's marginally better.

It's sad that someone so hurt and sensitive as OST had to...

Mar 11, 2020, 4:37 PM [ in reply to The person who would have cured autism was aborted. ]

endure such a response as that.

From my experience it's sometimes very difficult to get answers from God. With me that's mostly because it's either not time for me to understand or it's above my scope of responsibility. When God reveals something to someone He expects them to use that knowledge wisely and carefully and it doesn't take long to figure out why He answered your question.

'God has a plan,' never really satisfied me. I'd prefer to say, 'I do not know,' to a generic response like that. I'm not real fond of people shooting me a like of BS either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She's saying that there was a conceived baby going to be

Mar 11, 2020, 4:36 PM [ in reply to I don't understand her answer. ]

born that would grow up to cure autism. However, it was aborted...therefore, no autism cure.

Re: She's saying that there was a conceived baby going to be

Mar 11, 2020, 4:45 PM

I'm sorry that's all you got. When I thought one of my children was near death I sought understanding from God, all I got was the knowledge that God loved her more than I did. I understand such as that may complicate an issue with a child due raising more questions than it answers.

Re: I, generally, hold people that I know to be religious in a

Mar 11, 2020, 4:20 PM

Hmm. One would think there's a lot of projection going on there. Physicians deal with death, and intimately, and that can lead to God complexes in a lot of them, the feeling that they have some almost divine power over life and death. Alternatively, a lot of them struggle - mightily - with guilt when they're not able to cure or help a patient. Psychologically, putting the outcomes in God's hands takes that burden off the physician and I suspect that's what you're dealing with here. Worse, it sounds like maybe she's gone that next step all the way to victim-blaming - that there's somehow an intrinsic unworthiness in the afflicted that leads to some sort of divine retribution, and I suspect that's probably what's creeping you out.

I would agree, personally. That does not...sound like a healthy attitude from a physician. It's not a real long jaunt from that - at all - to a direct violation of the Hippocratic Oath. I mean, if an autistic is unworthy and doomed to punishment anyhow, who is the doctor to try to help them? Real slippery slope, that, it sounds like....

Mar 11, 2020, 4:38 PM

Mar 11, 2020, 4:30 PM

The whole getting a response from God (even if it's not audible) thing would bother me. Like my barber could worship at the Church of Alvis as long as I get a good haircut, but the minute he tells me he's going to close his eyes and let Jesus take the wheel I'm getting out of the chair.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2020, 4:31 PM

God didn't speak such to her.

Mar 11, 2020, 4:44 PM

She had pizza too late at night or something. Sad and inappropriate statement. Prayers to your son and your family.

For the record, there are only two scenarios

Mar 11, 2020, 4:54 PM

in which I would ever listen to a person who says "God told me..." This applies to everyone from TV preachers to a family doctor.

#1, and by far in the majority of cases, point me to the chapter and verse where God told you. God speaks to us through HIS WORD. That's how it works.

#2, I will listen if they say that God led them to something in their own personal life. NOT anything to do with any other person in the world.

Re: For the record, there are only two scenarios

Mar 11, 2020, 10:50 PM

And what do you do with God's Word that says:

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, that I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,your young men shall see visions,your old men shall dream dreams."

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

It hasn't happened yet.***

Mar 12, 2020, 5:54 AM

Re: It hasn't happened yet.***

Mar 12, 2020, 7:35 PM

Do you realize how closely your remarks resemble the attitude of the Pharisees when Jesus was on the scene - and they couldn't believe it possible that he was anyone God would send? Because, after all, they knew better than anyone else.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

sounds a bit crazy***

Mar 11, 2020, 4:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2020, 5:49 PM

A few years when I lost someone special to me tragically, and further questioned the existence of a benevolent higher power, a conversation came up with another coworker about the person's death. That coworker went into the whole "God has a plan" speech (don't ever say this to someone who has suffered a sudden loss, even if they are religious), and then she said, "So many people walk around here who aren't saved, and they need to be before something like this happens."

Well, I'm about 99 percent sure the person I just lost wasn't "saved". The conversation royally pissed me off because she insinuated this person was going to burn in hell.

Professionally, she's still #### good at her job and I trust her in that arena. I just don't have these kinds of conversations any more.

I think that answers your questions?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Exact same situation here when I lost my brother in law

Mar 12, 2020, 8:41 AM

my response was "so God's plan was to pluck a healthy young man from his wife and two young sons which will devastate them for the rest of their life?"

The conversation ended with "if that's God's plan, then he sucks"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I took my son out of a private Christian school after he

Mar 11, 2020, 8:03 PM

finished 5th grade. There had been little things that bothered me a bit, but the kicker was one night when we're playing backgammon. He had rolled double 6's three times in a row and was kicking my butt. I said - Man, you sure are lucky tonight! His reply - There's no such thing as luck, dad... it's all God's Will.

Yep, we're done. They're brainwashing the kid with stupid chit. God was calling the shots on dice rolls.

edit: And I'll add this. When I see the little fish symbol or John 3:16 on a business card, I immediately reach around and make sure I still have my wallet in my pocket. I'm 62 and the only 3 times in my life I've been ripped off (or an attempt) was by a "Christian businessman".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Yea, those 'Christian" subs have tried to get me several

Mar 11, 2020, 8:46 PM

times... I always had to explain to them that the devil comes in many forms and they were about to find out. Resolved matters on several occasions... I agree, though, about the ones that are constantly putting their "beliefs" at the forefront... Generally speaking, it's a scam.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I took my son out of a private Christian school after he

Mar 12, 2020, 12:24 AM [ in reply to I took my son out of a private Christian school after he ]

I agree with you on the dice rolls

its kind of like football players pointing to the sky.

APM is a believer, but that kind of sh*t make me SMH.***

Mar 11, 2020, 8:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep... and I think I would have had to tell her that.***

Mar 11, 2020, 8:40 PM

Mar 12, 2020, 12:25 AM

I am always kind of amazed by people who devote their lives to science still being tied up to the mythological mumbo jumbo that they learned as a child.

But talking to god is another three steps out towards crazy.

Mar 12, 2020, 12:43 AM

Mar 12, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: I, generally, hold people that I know to be religious in a ]

I’ve come to the conclusion that a creator makes more sense than the world and all it’s complexities coming from nothing....

However I am beginning to think, after being involved in it all my life, that organized religion is a man made farce.

Mar 12, 2020, 1:06 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. I would seek a second opinion because you may be pleasantly surprised. There may be new avenues previously unknown to her and you. I hope it gets better. God bless younand your family.

You're clearly a good dad to Lil'Slac.

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m ok with her holding that opinion.

Mar 12, 2020, 8:37 AM

I’m not ok with her sharing that with your son and you. Uncalled for and unhelpful at best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic