Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney breaks down proposed early signing period for recruits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney breaks down proposed early signing period for recruits

Oct 13, 2016, 8:01 AM

Swinney breaks down proposed early signing period for recruits

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney has long been a proponent of an early signing period in college football, and he told TigerNet Wednesday evening that he hopes to see one implemented as soon as possible. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo has really mastered this process

Oct 13, 2016, 8:19 AM

The ability to get freshmen in for Spring ball has really helped these kids be more ready to play in the Fall.

I would also imagine it is helping on graduation rates as well. I believe Watson is supposed to be done in December as a true Junior....Not bad. Not only will he be a top NFL draft, but will have a degree from Clemson to fall back on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

This is an excellent story in every way.

Oct 13, 2016, 8:20 AM

I know the message is pleasing to those of us who abhor school lying to the boys. Of course Dabo falls on this side of the issue. He's too honest to be competitive with schools which have no ethical boundaries which inhibits their compulsions to buy players.

Let the bidding start and close early so Dabo can spend his time on matters which are productive instead of wasting it on the trashy families that seek a place to sell their kids to the highest bidder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is an excellent story in every way.

Oct 13, 2016, 9:28 AM

I am sure "the pitch" highlights the percentage of times Clemson backs away on a committed offer versus the schools Clemson is competing against.

I'm all for it***

Oct 13, 2016, 8:33 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Isn't the early signing period sort of like early voting?

Oct 13, 2016, 9:13 AM

You run the risk of being locked in before the last week "surprise" happens; a circumstance that may very well change an opinion.

In recruiting, you may sign early and then have your head coach or positional coach ripped out from underneath you.. or your team put on probation, or a major scandal.

It just seems to me that there should be a caveat to any early signing period that would release the athlete in certain circumstances.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Isn't the early signing period sort of like early voting?

Oct 13, 2016, 9:39 AM

I agree. I think what Dabo proposed is a great idea, but there should be a clause that releases the student if his position coach, recruiter, or head coach is no longer with the program.

I think they need to add that the university is committed to the scholarship for 4 academic years from the start of the first season of eligibility, apart from requested transfers and conduct/grade issues, or if the student chooses not to participate.

Oct 13, 2016, 9:42 AM

Meant to include something in releasing clause about the program going on probation, or charges filed by the NCAA with the university. But once regular signing day occurs, that goes away, including releases of coaches, recruiters, etc.

Oct 13, 2016, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Isn't the early signing period sort of like early voting? ]

What protects the university of a player decides to transfer out? With you 4-year academic commitment you have moved the power to the player IMO.

Oct 13, 2016, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Isn't the early signing period sort of like early voting? ]

Until they give that same option to player currently on the team they can't give it to the recruits.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

The SEC ain't gonna like this.... they won't

Oct 14, 2016, 6:53 AM

be able to cut the early commitments at the last minute if they signed in June and have a written agreement. They better read the fine print!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic