Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offensive co-coordinators
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Offensive co-coordinators

Nov 14, 2016, 4:49 PM

At what point does Dabo say enough is enough with this? The two tweedles have coasted on talent and get exposed when real game management decisions have to be made. Then - at least publicly - they refuse to acknowledge that their game management is nonsensical. I know there are myriad reasons that we lost, but how many times do we have to see our offense run head-scratch plays and then get explained away with, "Just need to make a play" or "Luck ran out"?

How about, "Wow, learning experience. Really mismanaged that series. Need to put the boys in a better position to succeed." Own what you're getting paid to do and understand that you're not some offensive oracle who would be blowing it out of the water if only you had players that didn't turn the ball over. Yes, some of the turnovers are on the players committing them. But just as many are on poor play calls that are the result of a false confidence on the part of Team TJ. Just once, I would love to see them take the Occam's Razor approach to play calling. Instead, they attempt to get cute, and then explain it away with nuggets like "9 times out of 10, he makes that play".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offensive co-coordinators

Nov 14, 2016, 4:51 PM

Yeah.....42 points is terrible. Fire them immediately.....How dare we not score 60 and win.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a box score approach and not situational

Nov 14, 2016, 4:52 PM

42 points doesn't explain the questionable decisions that are made in key situations. Pitch-out from the jumbo package, throwing the ball when milking the clock and protecting the football are paramount, etc. But go ahead and just cite the point total.

Honestly. If the plays work either the throw

Nov 14, 2016, 5:09 PM

With 5 to play and we score a td or the 3rd and 4th down call. Are you saying yeah they worked but what the heck?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure I follow

Nov 14, 2016, 5:14 PM

What I'm getting at is - with 5 to play and in that situation, run the ball to milk the clock and mitigate risk. Kick the FG if you have to. Don't put your QB in a bad spot when we have been turnover prone, to put it lightly.

Im asking for your honesty.

Nov 14, 2016, 5:28 PM

If with 5 to play Watson completes the pass for the td. Are you still asking what if. Would you just be happy or would you be asking, yea I know it worked but why call the play?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course not

Nov 14, 2016, 5:32 PM

But I'm not sure what your point is. Succeeding with the riskier option does not mean the high-probability play is the wrong route. It means you hit on the low probability play.

I get it. Just easy to second guess when things dont work.

Nov 14, 2016, 5:46 PM

I'm not bashing you for your thought. When it happened I said why throw the ball there. But then sat back and said if it worked I probably would have just said he'll yea and moved on.

sometimes that's what it takes***

Nov 14, 2016, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Offensive co-coordinators ]

Nov 14, 2016, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Offensive co-coordinators ]

yes, the offense could have played a little smarter, but the real question might be why can't our
defense stop them when it really counted?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep...ridiculous***

Nov 14, 2016, 4:57 PM

Re: yep...ridiculous***

Nov 14, 2016, 5:31 PM

when you get so many holding calls, pass interference and roughing calls, I would probably say the heck with it!

Good Lowered

@%^@#

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Isnt Elliot pretty much the OC?

I haven't paid attention if they've commented on it before, but it appears that Elliot is the guy who gets the final say...especially being in the box.

All that aside, I don't think bashing the OCs is the right play here. Clearly we can move the ball (rush challenged at times) up and down the field and our offense isn't the issue. Turnovers are a problem and of course play calls can be scrutinized and I'm sure they'd like to have a call or two back....but execution got us Saturday. The only thing I didn't really like was running the ball on a toss sweep with Gallman on 4th down....off the tackle following Wilkins and Lawrence is the go to there.

We put up 42 points and over 600 yards offense...if we really are an elite team then that's good enough to win you a game every single time. The turnovers did put our defense in a bad spot a couple of times (and penalties didn't help), but we also made Peterman look pretty dang good and Connor did what he wanted (like all good backs we play) for the most part.

I love Venables, but if people want to bash Scott and Elliot then throw some shade at Venables too.

In the end, we'll get it cleaned up and move on with the season.

Re: Isnt Elliot pretty much the OC?

Nov 14, 2016, 5:23 PM

I agree with what you're saying about the defense. It was a team loss and there are many reasons that it didn't go our way. I was just pegging one of the few issues we had, because it seems crucial situation management has been a recurring issue that our "9 lives" have gotten us out of up until now. Execution is key on both ends, I will not argue that point. 600 yards and 42 points is tremendous, I won't argue that either. I guess what I'm getting at is this: turnover prevention is part execution and part putting the players in the best spot to succeed.

Most will see this as being upset with 42 points and 600 yards and that is simply not the case.

Nov 14, 2016, 5:12 PM

For those of you that say we scores 42 points so the o coordinators did fine you are dead wrong. They have the most talented offense in the country and we're playing an awful bad I stress awful pass defense. Their Decision making in key situations has been suspect at best. I think they are fine but we expect more than just ok. We deserve better. If they were fired due you think they would and another big time job? Nooo. They need to improve dramatically and soon

When you score 42 points and lose with 2 true freshmen

Nov 14, 2016, 5:20 PM

tackles playing unexpectedly, the offensive coordinator is not the problem.

Your post didn't make much sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sigh

Nov 14, 2016, 5:27 PM

We can go back and forth on this all night. I mentioned it in one of my replies above. In a nutshell - I am absolutely not complaining about the point total and the yardage. My point is that turnovers stem from poor execution and not putting the players in the best position for success. And if you can go through our games this year and say with confidence that they are knocking it out of the park in certain key situations, then more power to you.

I expect your reply will be our win-loss record and the offensive statistics for the season. None of which I am complaining about.

Yeah. Your post was pretty nonsensical.***

Nov 14, 2016, 5:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are a message board king.

Nov 14, 2016, 5:35 PM

I retract all of my nonsensical musings.

Re: When you score 42 points and lose with 2 true freshmen

Nov 14, 2016, 5:33 PM [ in reply to When you score 42 points and lose with 2 true freshmen ]

they were three freshmen in there some of the times.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic