Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is tomorrow a must win for us?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Is tomorrow a must win for us?

Jan 12, 2018, 7:52 AM

I really like this team. Great guard play and really good chemistry. The ACC is a brutal conference to play in. With @UNC, ND, and @UVA on the horizon does anyone else feel tomorrow goes a long way to define our season? I have always felt if we were 4-2 after UNC we would be OK. Let's go get em boys.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not do or die, but @unc will be tough (as well as most road acc games) ,so losing any home game

Jan 12, 2018, 8:03 AM

Hurts

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is tomorrow a must win for us?

Jan 12, 2018, 8:11 AM

No but winning one of our next three is a must.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All home games are a must win for us.***

Jan 12, 2018, 8:25 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:06 AM

We must defend this house !

Jan 12, 2018, 9:17 AM

Our team is now elite status and is expected to have a huge advantage at home. Its not like in past years where we can just hope for a "good showing", but more like it is expected we win at home, always.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your throwing around the “elite” term rather loosely***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:44 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2018, 9:25 AM

They lost to NMST and GT. They do not really blow teams out unless it is a small school. They shot 50% against FSU is why they won. If we keep the turnovers at 10 or less and play solid D. Hold them to around 40% hopefully less I believe we win. They are not a big rebounding team so that helps us. Tho we out rebound State it was just turnovers that got us.

Jan 12, 2018, 9:31 AM

you need to get the home ones as road ones are few and far between as we saw last night

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No****

Jan 12, 2018, 9:32 AM

When I have a question like this, I use the

Jan 12, 2018, 9:34 AM

Ben Franklin close. I list the Pros on the left, and the cons on the right. Feel free to use the template that I designed for work, below.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Wow, Frances. Very professional approach!

Jan 12, 2018, 10:44 AM

Didn't know you taught kindergarten.

Jan 12, 2018, 10:42 AM

I would yes because of the schedule. One point i continue to make is that we've only done the minimum to this point to be considered for a tourney bid. This 4-seed stuff in bracketology right now seems pretty silly to me given the schedule. We had to go 3-1 to open the year and get one of the road games. We accomplished that. This gives us a very clear and doable path to get tourney eligible, however losing to Miami would shake that up a bit.

At 3-1 we need to hold serve at home outside of Duke and UNC. That means beating Miami, ND, Pitt, GT, and FSU. We need to go at least 5-2 in the remaining 7 home games and those 5 are the most likely wins at this point. I know UNC and Duke are struggling, but it's hard to count on those as wins.
The remaining road schedule is fairly brutal. UNC, UVa, GT, Wake, FSU, VT and Cuse. I think at this point you have to assume losses at UNC, Uva, FSU, and Cuse as all those teams are better or as good as the NCSU team we lost to last night on their home floors. That leaves GT, Wake and VT as winnable road games. At best you're looking at 2-5 on the road.

So that's a likely and very achievable 7-7 for the balance of the ACC schedule. That puts you at 10-8 in the ACC and a lock for a tourney bid. However if you lose the Miami game that makes either the UNC or Duke home games MUST WIN games. Or it means you have to find 3 road wins. All of this makes the path more narrow and difficult to get to 10 ACC wins. So while it may seem early to start declaring games as must win games, this one is pretty close to being on.

Jan 12, 2018, 10:49 AM

I think you're making some strong assumptions with regards to what "at best" would be.

Also, even if we go 6-8 down the stretch that still puts us at 20-10 (9-9) in the ACC and if we get 1-2 ACC Tourney wins we would still be in.

At 9-9 in the ACC quality of wins come into play

Jan 12, 2018, 11:07 AM

If we go 9-9 we may have to worry about how some of our wins look to the committee. Of our projected wins

Right now OSU, L'Ville, and Florida are tourney teams with top 50 RPI ratings.

The temple loss doesn't look as good as they aren't in the projected field with an RPI of 44 so that's 3-1 against RPI top 50 with 2 wins against RPI top 25. Miami and ND are excellent opportunities to get 2 more RPI top 50 wins at home. But if you lose them it's hard to replace them with road wins vs medicore teams. A road win at VT or GT isn't going to help you as much as the home win vs the RPI top 50.

So while our schedule probably gets us in at 9-9, if OSU or L'ville drop out of the RPI top 25 or even top 50 and we don't pick up the home RPI to 50 wins, our resume looks a bit less impressive. Id rather just go 7-7 from here on out and not have anything to worry about.

As for the assumptions of "at best". If you can't beat NCSU on the road, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect wins at UVA, Cuse, FSU, or UNC. That's a tall order for any team. We struggle at GT and VT historically so projecting 2-1 in the remaining road games seems pretty reasonable if not optimistic. Also assuming a 5-2 home record when 5 of the remaining teams are currently in the RPI top 35 seems pretty reasonable to me as well.

This is going to be a grind just to get to 7-7 in my opinion.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic