Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kpdunphy..question...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Kpdunphy..question...

Dec 19, 2016, 1:27 AM

In your opinion is this OSU team as good as, better or worse than the one we played in 14?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kpdunphy..question...

Dec 19, 2016, 1:38 AM

This team has more talent. However, its young and inexperienced talent. They have had a tough schedule and have gained a bit of experience from the tough road games but it is still the youngest team in college football right now. OSU lost 16 starters and still made playoffs, that goes to show how talented this years team is. In comparison to the Orange Bowl team, the biggest difference is the defense. It was thanks to that Clemson Offensive explosion on Ohio State that cause Urban to make the correct hires on the defense staff. People like Chris Ash and Schiano were added. That defense in 2013 was one of the worst in OSU history in terms of how they were coached. You can see the difference between 2013 and '14 when we won the title and beat bama and oregon. One thing that is also different is the running ability of the QB. JT is no Braxton Miller in terms of a runner. This year its our defense that keeps us in games when the offense struggles, that year it was vice versa. However, this years offense, when clicking, can blow out teams like top 10 Nebraska 62-3.

I rewatched that game the other night

Dec 19, 2016, 1:44 AM

And was kind of comparing clemson from that year position by position. Anyway thanks for the breakdown i was wondering what someone with the OSU perspective thought about it.

Re: I rewatched that game the other night

Dec 19, 2016, 1:54 AM

That defense was a disaster. However we can see how much coaching improved based on what happened the following year. Those same players on the defense all left for the nfl as sophomores and juniors. The biggest difference from 2013 OSU to this years team is the culture of the defense. That 2013 defense included guys like Joey Bosa, Ryan Shazier, Von Bell, Tyvis Powell, Eli Apple, Christ Grant, Dorant Grant, Michael Bennett, Darron Lee, Joshua Perry.. etc.. all are currently starters in the NFL.

Re: I rewatched that game the other night

Dec 19, 2016, 1:58 AM

^^with all that keep in mind Urban said and i quote that this years team is the most talent hes ever had at OSU. Next years team, with those 6-8 5star 2017 recruits coming in, should be nasty.

Yeah..i recognized a lot of names

Dec 19, 2016, 2:15 AM [ in reply to Re: I rewatched that game the other night ]

It was an entertaining game. Lots of defensive blown coverages on both sides.

Dec 19, 2016, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Kpdunphy..question... ]

The trendy saying of " we are so young " just isn't what it ysed to be , certainly doesn't mean what it used to in today's 3 and done CFB landscape .
Clemson is in the top 5 of " youngest " in CFB , and so.are the lowly Sackerlina Cootcocks.
You have to really look.at the level of recruiting a team has put together over the last 3 cycles , coaching stability is a big one ...and what is the depth for what they are trying to do on the field .
Saying somebody like OSU or Alabama or even little ol' Clemson University is " young " means less than it ever has these days .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Is there any positions thatyou feel...

Dec 19, 2016, 7:56 AM

That the Buckeyes were better at back in 14? I mean im quite sure Barrett is not at good on the ground as Miller but then again...that cat was a stud. Hyde was a manchild too...

Re: Is there any positions thatyou feel...

Dec 19, 2016, 8:26 AM

They are much better in the defensive backfield and at linebacker.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there any positions thatyou feel...

Dec 19, 2016, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Is there any positions thatyou feel... ]

2013 team (2014 Orange Bowl) was better at QB, RB, OL, and offensive coordinator. Receivers about even (meaning neither group was great). 2013 had amazing talent along the defensive front but was horribly coached and often out of place, so 2016 gets the edge there, along with every other position on defense outside of Ryan Shazier.

Nebraska was top 10 when you played them, but that was

Dec 19, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Kpdunphy..question... ]

b/c they played nobody up to that point and could easily have lost to Oregon if not for stupidity of going for 2 after every TD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2016, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Kpdunphy..question... ]

I've seen a good bit of them and Idont think the OL is as good as 14. Otherwise a pretty similar team. Solid in all respects but can be beaten if you dont turn it over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2016, 9:56 AM

Ohio State's offense was markedly better last time around, but the defense was atrocious. Miller and Hyde were essentially an unstoppable combo on offense IMO.

I think this year's team is better overall due to the defense, but each has/had its flaws, unlike national championship team.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic