Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there a link to the history of our team colors?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Is there a link to the history of our team colors?

Jan 22, 2019, 12:28 PM

I had read somewhere that they originally were Red and Blue back in the 1800's and that Walter Riggs changed them because he had brought uniforms with him from Auburn which were Orange and a faded blue that more resembled a purple.

But it seems that there was very little color consistency up into the 1990's. Most items for purchase were actually different shades of blue from royal to navy with not much purple to be had. The orange hue changed as well.

Is there anything definitive on the foundation of Orange and Regalaia?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Is there a link to the history of our team colors?

Jan 22, 2019, 12:35 PM

I think it was heisman

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 22, 2019, 1:19 PM

In the history written few years ago by a professor, the colors and the name, Tigers, were taken from the Prince Tigers who were the top college team in the late 1800s.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 1:32 PM

When I was there the official colors were Burnt Orange and Northwest Purple.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

still the same colors just renamed

Jan 22, 2019, 1:33 PM

Clemson Orange Regalia

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 1:51 PM

You did indeed read that.
http://knottinghillinteriors.com/clemson-vs-carolina-a-history-of-rivalry-and-of-color/

"Clemson – Orange, Purple and the Tiger — The first “colors” of Clemson can be seen in an early diploma displayed on campus. But to everyone’s surprise, they’re red and blue! The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs formed Clemson’s first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and their mascot, the Tiger. Although the football team was known as the Tigers and often used “Eat ‘Em Up, Tigers” as a slogan, it wasn’t until 1954 that a Clemson student donned the mascot suit. In 1993, the Tiger was joined by the Tiger Cub."

Jan 22, 2019, 2:49 PM

And keep in mind that Auburn "borrowed" their colors from the University of Virginia.

UVA then stole them from the House of Nassau Weilburg of Germany in a crooked dice game.

Jan 22, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Is there a link to the history of our team colors? ]

I think Riggs brought orange and blue from Auburn; I never knew them to be purple. I have heard a few stories about moving from blue to purple back in the early early 1900s. One was that blue wasn't color-fast and a purple dye was. Another had something to do with borrowing Furman's pants for a game. Either way, the colors have been orange and purple for right around 100 years. I remember drawing Tiger Paws and spelling "Clemson" with my orange and purple crayons in the early 70s. True, there were blue stadium cups (hated them) for a year or two in the 70s and our b-ball team had blue unis (hated them) in the late 80s, but we have been orange and purple for longer than the "modern" era.

Look at these pics form 1980. That definately isn't purple.

Jan 22, 2019, 3:07 PM

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2014/10/2/6888435/historical-eye-of-the-tiger-clemson-nc-state

And there is an old Clemson jersey framed at a local sub shop that is definately navy blue in the stripes. I assume it was because of some dieing problem or just what was offered by the manufacturers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jan 22, 2019, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Is there a link to the history of our team colors? ]

According to Dr. Jerry Reel, Clemson historian, Clemson got its mascot (the Tigers) from Princeton, not from Auburn. You should go check out his book (in two parts): "The High Seminary"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic