Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alshon....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Alshon....

Apr 27, 2012, 10:00 AM

another victim of Spurrier. The lack of discipline and accountability have, literally, cost Alshon a load of money. If he saw some consistency and discipline from his coaching staff, he would have had a work ethic. Instead, he took the "I'm entitled" approach he learned while watching Garcia and others get minimal reprimands.
Poor kid.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gosh, imagine how high Gilmore and Ingram

Apr 27, 2012, 10:02 AM

Would have gone playing for another coach. They might have been the top two picks in the draft it Spurrier hadn't ruined 'em.

They had their own motivation, they have success in spite

Apr 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

of the visor. How many Quarterbacks have graduated under Spurrier at SCAR? How many?

Oh, so they were responsible for their own success...

Apr 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

Can you provide me with list of those S. Carolina football players who were responsible, and those who were not? It would handy for future reference.

Just check google for gamecock rapsheet

Apr 27, 2012, 10:24 AM

you'll start to get the picture.

What picture?***

Apr 27, 2012, 10:26 AM

That your program is irrelevant, you have no history

May 3, 2012, 9:12 AM

except for that of a series of arrests.

Now get the hell out of here you dirty #### loving coot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

He can provide a list of arrests. Would that work?

May 3, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Oh, so they were responsible for their own success... ]

Might want to get a new ream of paper if you're going to print it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Alshon....

Apr 27, 2012, 10:27 AM

Alshon vs Clemson... 3 wins and 0 losses, 11 catches for 235 yards, and 2 touchdowns.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

I dont think you read the post

Apr 27, 2012, 10:28 AM

I am not debating his performance against Clemson. I'm not saying he's a bad football player. I'm saying, under another coach that gave a #### about him, he might have pushed himself to be a first rounder.

The NFL does not draft players based on wins and stats

Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 AM

against one team.

Re: The NFL does not draft players based on wins and stats

Apr 27, 2012, 10:42 AM

At what point in Alshon's career was he ever labeled "fast"... never. The draft is clearly based on speed for receivers. He has always been a possession receiver. I am assuming your lack of discipline comment is regarding his weight? Have you ever considered he was a tremendous downfield blocker? Lastly, I'm pretty sure we can all agree Alshon shredded his fair share of teams.

I never said "fast". I said he could have reached his

Apr 27, 2012, 10:44 AM

potential under a coach that held players accountable. Can you seriously make a case that Spurrier does that? I told you how the Garcia situation would unfold. He showed that he'll eat them up and spit them out. He's about himself at the expense of the kids.

Re: I never said "fast". I said he could have reached his

Apr 27, 2012, 10:51 AM

Potential? What else would you want a guy to do in three years... against SEC competition? Why don't you share with everyone his career stats?

Apr 27, 2012, 11:05 AM

Let me help you out... 183 Rec. 3,042 Yards 23 TDs. Not bad in THREE years considering he pretty much didn't play the first half of his freshman season.

Who knows?

Apr 27, 2012, 10:55 AM [ in reply to I never said "fast". I said he could have reached his ]

If he had played for Clemson everyone would be blaming S&C, not Dabo.

Didn't Dabo cost Bowers 1st overall pick to 2nd round

Apr 27, 2012, 10:54 AM

for playing him hurt?

For the 1000000000000th time no

Apr 27, 2012, 12:16 PM

Da'Quan has a degenerative knee issue, stemming from damaged cartilage. Playing or not playing him made no difference.

Re: Alshon....***

Apr 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

Apr 27, 2012, 12:29 PM

C'mon man, take off the orange colored shades. Look at Alshon's resume: #1 all-time at USC in receiving yards ahead of legends like Sterling Sharpe, Kenny McKinley, and Sidney Rice. #2 all-time in SEC receiving yards and statistically one of the top 5 WRs to ever play in the SEC. Biletnikoff Award Finalist in 2010 and 1st team All-American, despite shoddy QB play during his entire career. Sounds like Spurrier really wasted his potential...

So the NFL really cant evaluate talent?

Apr 27, 2012, 12:31 PM

Nobody's debating his past awards. I'm trying to say the kid could have been much better if he had a coach that cared about him.

That's silly

May 3, 2012, 9:08 AM

How could he have been "Much better?"

Please describe what you are talking about. The guy was a freaking stuf, made play after play, won games, made tremendous play after tremendous play - was on various all american lists, etc..

You can't back up your statements with any facts.

Re: So the NFL really cant evaluate talent?

Apr 27, 2012, 12:47 PM

How much better do you want one of the greatest of all-time in the SEC to be? You sound like you wouldn't be satisfied unless the guy is the second coming of Jerry Rice. Alshon is a Gamecock legend and SEC legend...apparently that's not good enough for you

He's all of those things....you know what he's not?

Apr 27, 2012, 12:50 PM

A first rounder. I'd rather be that than anything great at SCAR.

Re: He's all of those things....you know what he's not?

Apr 27, 2012, 1:27 PM

So if a great college player doesn't go in the 1st round then his coach somehow failed him? I could list a hundred or so All-Americans and college greats that didn't go in the first round, but I bet you get my drift. Quite a few Heisman Trophy winners didn't go in the 1st round. Did their coaches somehow fail them?

Where a player goes in the NFL Draft is not an accurate reflection of how great a player is in college and whether their coach failed them or not. If it was then guys like Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Christian Ponder would be considered all-time college greats and better than Heisman Trophy winners like Troy Smith, Jason White, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, and Eric Crouch. But that's not the case. And none of those guys coaches failed them because they didn't go in the 1st round. Just like Spurrier didn't somehow "fail" Alshon because he didn't go in the 1st round.

Certainly not what I'm saying

Apr 27, 2012, 1:32 PM

What I'm saying is...that this particular player, Alshon, could have been a first rounder.
Instead he played for a guy that lacks any sort of discipline. Had Alshon had a coach that sincerely cared about him, he would have been motivated to be in top shape. Just think about how good he was. He was very very good....and he was in horrible condition. Now, what if he had had a good kick in the ### from a tough coach that gave a ####? Wow, that kid could have been something REALLY special.

Re: Certainly not what I'm saying

Apr 27, 2012, 1:42 PM

So you blame Spurrier for Alshon's conditioning? Do you blame Dabo for Clemson's poor conditioning? Because the consensus on this board is that Clemson's strength and conditioning is far inferior to South Carolina's. Does Clemson's poor conditioning mean that Dabo doesn't give a crap about Clemson's players?

You would really eat that man's poo, wouldnt you?

Apr 27, 2012, 1:46 PM

Listen, when ONE guy is allowed to fall apart like AJ, it shows a discipline issue. Do you think you have discipline issues at SCAR?

As for caring about players...

Apr 27, 2012, 1:50 PM

yes, I think Dabo cares deeply for them. Look at the graduates that played under him. They call him a father figure. I dont see that in Columbia. Spurrier has not graduated a single starting QB...not one. Those guys leave and only George Rogers hangs around now.
It's all about the Visor. Just look how he hijacked a Breast Cancer event for his own glory. And all of you minions eat it up.

Re: You would really eat that man's poo, wouldnt you?

Apr 27, 2012, 1:51 PM [ in reply to You would really eat that man's poo, wouldnt you? ]

As I pointed out earlier:

You want to blame Spurrier for ONE South Carolina player's conditioning issues. You say that the conditioning issues of ONE South Carolina player mean that Spurrier doesn't care about his players.

I am just wondering if you apply the same standard to Dabo? Because according to the majority on this board, Clemson has a widespread strength and conditioning problem.

Does Spurrier get pegged as a bum for the conditioning problems of a single player while Dabo escapes blame despite the conditioning problems of an entire team?

Is there a lack of discipline at SCAR?

Apr 27, 2012, 1:52 PM

Yes or no.

Re: Is there a lack of discipline at SCAR?

Apr 27, 2012, 2:09 PM

No, there certainly isn't if you are using your definition of discipline. You blame Alshon's conditioning on some sort of "lack of discipline." Considering that Alshon wasn't a troublemaker off-the-field, you must be referring to the self-discipline to keep himself in shape. Even if I was to say that Alshon was out of shape, would I say that this was a common thread on the team? No. South Carolina was an extremely well-conditioned team last year, just ask Tiger fans. I see USC's conditioning praised in seemingly every post on this board slamming Batson. Since you seem to insist that discipline=conditioning in Alshon's case, that would infer that USC is a well-disciplined team because they are well-conditioned.

And if discipline=conditioning, does that mean that Clemson is a poorly disciplined team?

I am simply pointing out the flaw in your initial argument. You want to blame Spurrier for the conditioning issues of a single player. Yet Dabo is apparently blameless for Clemson's conditioning issues. You are welcome to your opinion about Spurrier, you can certainly claim that he doesn't care about his players. I don't agree with that sentiment by any means but you are welcome to it. Yet, saying that a player's conditioning is a reflection of a coach's care for his players is ridiculous when Spurrier's team is much better conditioned than Dabo's. The entire premise of this thread is flawed in that regard.

there's a considerable lack of intelligence.***

Apr 27, 2012, 2:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post

May 3, 2012, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there a lack of discipline at SCAR? ]

Buzz wants to blame Spurrier for Alshon, but oddly sort of leaves out two first round players being drafted from South Carolina.

Alshon got 2 million in a signing bonus yesterday on top of his contract.

For a guy that wasn't known as "fast" by anyone, he went as a high 2nd round player. That's terrific.

When Clesmon fans are left with blasting a high 2nd round draft pick (and sort of ignoring the Clemson fans that dropped this year in the draft) - I think the case is made.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic