Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the only reason Duke won last night because
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Is the only reason Duke won last night because

Apr 7, 2015, 10:00 AM

of the cupcake route they had to the finals? Where as Wisconsin literally played the highest seed possible in each of their tournament games. So given that they only lost by a couple points, aren't they truly the better team?

Discuss

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

no.

Apr 7, 2015, 10:01 AM

did that help?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

no.

Apr 7, 2015, 10:01 AM

Did that help?

Yes.

Apr 7, 2015, 12:37 PM

That helped.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Another contributing factor to them winning was that

Apr 7, 2015, 10:03 AM

they scored more points than Wisconsin.

i'm surprised 2012 didn't think of that juan.

Apr 7, 2015, 10:03 AM

wait, no.

i am knot.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

whoa

Apr 7, 2015, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Another contributing factor to them winning was that ]

no way!!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

But that's beside the point though.

Apr 7, 2015, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Another contributing factor to them winning was that ]

Clearly Wisconsin was the best team overall and deserves to be crowned number 1 and national champions

If this is making fun of coot fans than bravo.

Apr 7, 2015, 10:04 AM

If it's serious, then the answer is probably no. Duke also won at Wisconsin earlier in the year by 10 so the more convincing argument is that Duke is just better than Wisconsin.

By the way, SDSU-Utah-Gonzaga-MSU

Apr 7, 2015, 10:08 AM

is certainly not cupcake. Those are some really good basketball teams, and they won those games by an average of 15 points.

Re: Is the only reason Duke won last night because

Apr 7, 2015, 10:09 AM

really, they won pat them on the back and move on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 2nd half was all Duke...

Apr 7, 2015, 10:14 AM

and their refs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the same refs who were calling ticky-tack fouls

Apr 7, 2015, 10:16 AM

on Jhalil, that caused him to sit out a significant part of the game?

I swear I thought he had the name "Booker" on the back of his jersey.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

8-on-5 for most of 2nd half... I know what I saw. You may

Apr 7, 2015, 10:27 AM

have a different opinion but if the director would have bothered to show some of the multiple camera angles on a number of calls instead of replays of previous non-issues, you might have a different perspective also. There was definitely an agenda at play. We could debate it forever and nothing would change my perspective. Maybe if we could acquire all of those other camera angles and review it, maybe.... I still think that would only serve to further prove my point.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Yes of course. It's a vast conspiracy. The refs are paid by

Apr 7, 2015, 10:29 AM

Coach K. Everybody cheated to make sure Duke won.

Good lowered...

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

And conspiracy theories are so unlike SOLOS, too.***

Apr 7, 2015, 10:30 AM

You still believe the "19 guys w/boxcutters BS"...? Poor boy***

Apr 7, 2015, 10:43 AM

While that's mostly correct,

Apr 7, 2015, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Yes of course. It's a vast conspiracy. The refs are paid by ]

you forgot the part about Vegas being a driving force behind some of this as well

Not everybody. It only took 3... Totally different game

Apr 7, 2015, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Yes of course. It's a vast conspiracy. The refs are paid by ]

depending on which end of the court they were on...

I was thinking maybe Wisconsin deciding the best

Apr 7, 2015, 10:35 AM [ in reply to 8-on-5 for most of 2nd half... I know what I saw. You may ]

offense in the last 5 minutes of the game was taking a bunch of contested jump shots cood also be a factor, but then I am just spitballin' of course.

I'm sure your paid off refs theory is equally plausible.

Wisconsin's shot selection down the stretch....

Apr 7, 2015, 10:36 AM

was questionable at best and the biggest difference in the game IMO. That and fatigue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

K got in the refs ear...

Apr 7, 2015, 10:35 AM [ in reply to The 2nd half was all Duke... ]

which is exactly what he is supposed to do, and I do believe it had the desired result.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it is an evil genius the way K. can intimidate refs

Apr 7, 2015, 1:59 PM

and not fair - every call went for Duke - even the violent ones and out of bounds, which had the announcers backing down -

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe wisc used all their money paying refs in last game***

Apr 7, 2015, 2:08 PM [ in reply to The 2nd half was all Duke... ]

because they scored more points***

Apr 7, 2015, 10:33 AM

Re: because they scored more points***

Apr 7, 2015, 10:34 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17091898

Sure, the Badgers may be a better team.

Apr 7, 2015, 10:43 AM

They may win 9 out of 10. They didn't win the one that mattered.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke and Wisconsin played twice this season.....

Apr 7, 2015, 10:58 AM

Duke won both games (the first by 10 and the second by 5) which coptely settles the debate, at least in my opinion, about who the better team is.

But do you not think that if Wisconsin had had maybe

Apr 7, 2015, 11:00 AM

one or two more days to rest up, that they would not have beaten Duke by +10?

Beating UK and Arizona was way more tolling than beating Zaga and MSU

Was Wisconsin gassed in the first meeting too?

Apr 7, 2015, 11:18 AM

Wisconsin and Duke played twice this season. Duke won both games. For me, that pretty much settles the issue.

Would Wisconsin not being fully healthy the first time

Apr 7, 2015, 11:24 AM

have anything to do with that?

but Wisconsin lost by 10 in the first meeting***

Apr 7, 2015, 11:34 AM

Did they intentionally foul at the end to put Duke on the

Apr 7, 2015, 11:35 AM

free throw line? That can sometimes skew the final score if it's close

Yeah, probably. I was trying to say that the

Apr 7, 2015, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Duke and Wisconsin played twice this season..... ]

whole point was really not a good arguing point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed....

Apr 7, 2015, 11:38 AM

People can certainly conjure-up all kinds of wild scenarios that might give Wisconsin some kind of advantage in a rematch (I'm sure that's exactly what Wisconsin fans are doing today), but all that really matters is that Duke won both meetings THIS SEASON including the one last night for all the marbles. Anything else is totally irrelevant and just pointless speculation.

And grasping at straws to bash Duke, which wreaks of

Apr 7, 2015, 1:18 PM

sour grapes and nothing more.

Duke beat Wisconsin twice ... neither time in Cameron, so

Apr 7, 2015, 10:56 AM

... it's kind of hard to argue that Duke is not the better team. If they played again in Cameron, I strongly suspect it would be 3-0 this season.

Regarding officiating ... I have always agreed that Tobacco Road schools get the calls in-conference, but I've never seen much evidence that it carries forward into the NCAAs.

In fact I feel like it's been just the opposite.

The Tobacco Road teams are not protected in the NCAA tournament and many years, that hurts them.

If they got the same calls in he NCAAs that they get in the ACC tournament and regular season, the conference would have a lot more trophies than they do.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Duke beat Wisconsin twice ... neither time in Cameron, so

Apr 7, 2015, 11:05 AM

Finally someone that gets it!!! Duke is without a doubt a better team than Wisconsin. They beat them at their place by 10 and then on the biggest bball stage the natty game. Wisconsin #### the bed down the stretch how do you not take advantage of Winslow and okrafor in foul trouble on the bench? Duke did exactly what coach k wanted them to do attack. Everyone knows a more aggressive team will get to the line more than a perimeter team. Hats off to both teams but hats off to duke. As far as easiest path last time I checked teams can control who they play or who wins games. Like in bowls games the ACC teams can profit off of other success

Apr 7, 2015, 11:29 AM

You mean like sec football?

Apr 7, 2015, 12:11 PM

I saw too many elbows to the head and fist to the face. Unintentional or not if you slap elbow or mawl a guy to the face I think it should be a foul. I just think its kind of funny that it Duke kept hitting the Wisconsin guys in the head. And the jumping into the defender crap needs to go with the flop. I mean I know you want to initiate contact sometimes but Holy baby Jesus, when you make more of an effort to jump into a defender than doing your normal jump shot that should be offensive.

No, Coack K ran a coaching clinic on Bo Ryan last night...

Apr 7, 2015, 12:08 PM

and Wisconsin celebrated their victory over Kentucky way too much.

Duke beat Wisc. twice during the season. They are better.

Apr 7, 2015, 12:33 PM

End of controversy...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

#1 reason is that they scored more points than Wisc.***

Apr 7, 2015, 12:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke did get some help from the Zebras at crucial times.***

Apr 7, 2015, 1:18 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Duke did get some help from the Zebras at crucial times.***

Apr 7, 2015, 1:53 PM

when teams are evenly matched(like last night)2-3 calls ~@ THE RIGHT TIME.. and NO CALLS when the selected team committs a foul

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes! "K" knows how to intimidate the refs and the announcers

Apr 7, 2015, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Duke did get some help from the Zebras at crucial times.*** ]

Unfair - WISCONSIN WOULD HAVE WON if not for the refs calling against them, and obvious fav. for Duke - 2 violent hits to face not called against Wis. and that late out of bounds which was so obvious against Duke and called in their favor - changed the mo completely!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually think there's some validity here

Apr 7, 2015, 1:50 PM

Look at the standard thinking on "post-big-game-deflation" that is tossed around so much, especially in football, and you've got something there. They sleep, eat, drink, and breathe Kentucky all year until they meet again, sink everything into the re-match, win it and are on the mountain top, then have to come back two days later for the finals.

On this note, the Final Four set-up is fundamentally flawed. Wait a whole week and prepare for one team only, then you only get one day's rest and scouting for the other team. I thought Decker, for example, just wasn't himself last night, for whatever reason. I think the Ky game took it all out of him.

I realize it's the same playing field for both teams, but it could affect different teams in different ways, depending on the gauntlet they have run through.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic