Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the Playoff in the future for FB in 2017?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Is the Playoff in the future for FB in 2017?

May 8, 2017, 12:03 AM

I say yes, and I'll tell you why.

This is not a QB centric post, however I understand the vital importance of signal caller. Case in point, our own Deshaun Watson. But this will be in an attempt to take the focus off of the QB race, because we are talking about the defending National Champions. I know, I know it's very hard to do it twice. As to elude to the title, let's talk about a playoff run with plenty of talent at all positions to get the to the playoff discussion. You can hope for an 8 win season if you want, but what Swinney has built here is not a " one hit wonder " with Watson as many of Tiger Nation will agree. Watson was an integral part of winning the school's 2nd national championship, I have written about Watson a lot. However, we have some real talent at QB this year, and that goes for all of them.

First let me establish two things quickly : I trust Dabo & Co. This is a national championship coach, and coaching staff. I have believed in Swinney since He was hired and gave that reporter the simple answer of " win championships " after being asked what are his goals and intentions at Clemson. Seems like a long time ago. Either way, the man is a much better coach than any keyboard coaches I've ever read. So, that just tells you my sense on it.

Second: If Alabama and Ohio State can make it all the way to the playoff's with a " decent " QB play with either a top draft graded secondary or a top drafted D- Line, then that looks like the picture of Clemson this year. We have so much talent across the board. However, to re-iterate my first point, Swinney will make the best decision for the team at all positions with his council. Who knows who we'll have throwing the ball by Fall, they all have talent. Enough " total team talent " to make it to the playoff's.

Now, we know by Watson, Winston , Mariotta, it's more likely to win a championship with an NFl talented QB. However, I would argue that with the defensive line, LB core, secondary, WR group, stable full of backs and 4 and 5 star talent at QB, it's just a matter of time before we all see what the picture looks like. Fall camp, fist game, etc. On a serious note though, hasn't Dabo built a brand at CU that get's the nod as AL, Ohio & Fl State? No matter the QB race? We are perennial national contenders.

Barrett or Hurts wasn't known for their stellar QB play, at least not Barrett anymore since his injury. We have enough surrounding talent to take it to the Playoff's, and it might end up with stellar QB play, who knows. I wish them all well, and Dabo will slot in the one that plays the best.

The bottom line is, we have enough talent on this roster, not to mention the most championship veterans coming back on defense which will be best in the country. Not a bad WR group either. Oh and the QB race, many schools wish they had that problem. I believe it's going to be another great year of Clemson football. Besides, Swinney is too used to 10+ win seasons and expects his best players to play to their full potential. With the best coaching staff in the country I would argue with orange tinted glasses on, with this much talent at all positions. Yes, the playoff's could be in sight.

Just my take

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the Playoff in the future for FB in 2017?

May 8, 2017, 12:28 AM

Absolutely!

Going to be a tight opening for us to make Final 4..

May 8, 2017, 12:33 AM

But it can be done and 4 all the reasons mentioned above.

So, Gut eR Done TiGERS & Have Some Fun Doing iT!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Going to be a tight opening for us to make Final 4..

May 8, 2017, 12:49 AM

Two of the toughest games at home Auburn and FL State. Along with Louisville away, not in that order.
I believe defense will stifle out Jackson, put Francois in the medical tent while backup plays, and Stidham get's his face planted before he can connect with receivers early and rattles him. Just talking about the defense now. All of the other talent across the board, yea, we should be in the conversation at the end of the year. Call me an optimist, but all I see his talent all across the board.

May 8, 2017, 3:05 AM

Yes. Had this talk with my coot friend today, who happened to be making a video of there 17 recruits.

Says 9-3 for us. Yea we lost Watson, but so what.

C u in Atlanta

May 8, 2017, 3:05 AM

Roll Tigers

May 8, 2017, 8:05 AM

I think if we can settle on a guy at qb then yes. If we end up going from guy to guy where whomever starts is always worried the first three and out and they get pulled then no. They dont have to be perfect. Its game management

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2017, 8:19 AM

Watson was a special talent at Clemson. He was a leader as well. If Alabama can get to the championship game with a redshirt freshman qb, so can we. I agree that we need to settle on one and not play musical chairs at the position.

Only disagreement is based on differences in offensive schemes

May 8, 2017, 8:48 AM

Alabama and OSU are so much about the RBs and running the football. Our scheme relies heavily on the QB and on top of that we don't have nearly the same caliber of RBs that those two programs have. I think it's possible. But it won't be easy.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Those RBs are only as good as their OLs allow...

May 8, 2017, 9:49 AM

Our D will be as good as (and probably better than) anybody in the country, period. The depth in the secondary has never been this good during the Swinney era and the front 7 is a given. Consistent QB play with very few TOs and we should be able to play against anyone. 4 of 5 OLs returning is an often undiscussed positive. These RBs have been waiting for their chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only disagreement is based on differences in offensive schemes

May 8, 2017, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Only disagreement is based on differences in offensive schemes ]

I used the Alabama model as an example. I agree with you that we don't have their type of bruisers like Scarborough. Our system is quarterback centered with our qb being a playmaker more than a Saban game manager. The key to any success is finding the quarterback among 5 quality players who can execute the offense that we have run for three years and settle on him no later than the Auburn game. It doesn't mattter if he is a true freshman or an upperclassman. Just get the job done. What would really help our new qb would be the maturation of Feaster at rb. His breakaway speed makes him a home run threat every play.

All I know for sure...

May 8, 2017, 10:45 AM

Is that it will be painfully obvious that Deshaun is not with us anymore come October. He was a transcendant generational talent. You don't just 'next man up' that guy.

If there is an Alternate route (defense, running game) we will find it, but we will not be anything like when Deshaun was here especially given that our current QB's struggle to complete a screen pass.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I know for sure...

May 8, 2017, 11:01 AM

Not all the qbs are bad passers. Johnson has a strong arm and good runner. Cooper throws the ball the best but not as fluid a runner. Brice has yet to step on campus. Israel can throw the ball but not fleet of foot. Bryant we know can run well but up to now his passing skills are questionable. Dabo has grown as a coach. This team is talented across the board. Winning is expected.

It's possible, but probably not.

May 8, 2017, 12:09 PM

If we were to make it, i think the most likely path is to stumble once early to either Auburn or Louisville and then win out, including the big one against FSU at home. I don't think 10-2 would be good enough to get in.

That's going to be tough to do with such an inexperienced offense. 11-1 next year would be an incredible season and Dabo would deserve national COY honors.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic