Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There's talk here about support for FSU and/or the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

There's talk here about support for FSU and/or the ACC

Nov 7, 2013, 12:37 PM

I'm one of those guys who would cheer for CU to win a championship and I normally cheer for the ACC, both because I believe it benefits FSU.

But.... now it's out there that the ACC will 'lean on' the Orange Bowl to take UCF so that an 11-1 Clemson would get a BCS bid. So our 'reward' for a 13-0 season would be a game as interesting on and off the field as watching paint dry.

The theory is that if the Orange takes a B12 or a B1G team to face FSU then the die is cast and the remaining two slots in the Sugar and Fiesta *must* go to the American champ and the BCS Non-AQ team. That means no chance at a BCS slot for Clemson. But if the Orange took, say, the American champ UCF, then the next pick, Sugar, at least *could* take Clemson as the opponent for their 2nd place SEC team.

I would not have believed anything could ever make me cheer for the Lamecocks against Clemson.Leave it to the ACC to come up with a scheme where we take a bullet for the conference, which may result in my doing just that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you are 13-0, you ain't going to the Orange***

Nov 7, 2013, 12:39 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Yes there are if Bama and Oregon win out***

Nov 7, 2013, 12:41 PM

Nope.***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Yes there are if Bama and Oregon win out***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Yes there are if Bama and Oregon win out*** ]

Negative

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's probably what's going to happen unless bama/oregon...

Nov 7, 2013, 12:44 PM [ in reply to if you are 13-0, you ain't going to the Orange*** ]

lose

now i don't think the Orange will match a 13-0 FSU team w/ a UCF.................i'd hope they'd match up somebody a little better

Re: that's probably what's going to happen unless bama/oregon...

Nov 7, 2013, 2:20 PM

FSU will be in NC if they go 13-0 no matter what.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well I think by that reasoning

Nov 7, 2013, 12:46 PM

Having Clemson and FSU in BCS games would be a huge win for the conference. Anything short of the Natty will be a dissapointment for the Noles so if you get left out you might as well hope that both of us make it no matter who we play.

Hey, its that crazy clown running our "basketball"

Nov 7, 2013, 12:48 PM

conference. What do you expect from Tobacco Road?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was reluctant to embrace the "SEC" menatality

Nov 7, 2013, 12:53 PM

But it is just the way things are nowadays. Too much money on the line, need the entire conference to do well. With ESPN running things, conference affiliation has become extremely important. So yes "gulp" go FSU.

I will never pull for FSU ever, call me a nonconformist

Nov 7, 2013, 1:15 PM

Conference cheerleading is spineless crap!! I get it, the SEC started this perverse trend and it has served them well, thanks in no small part to ESPN.

With the playoff coming next year we will not have to worry about conference cheerleading and strength of schedule. If Clemson, or any other major conference school goes undefeated they will make the playoffs. Its that simple people.

How many times has the regular season ended with 4 undefeated, major conf. teams? I don't think it has ever happened in the past 20 years. Clemson has a much better chance to make the playoffs as an undefeated team playing in a "weak" ACC vs. making the 4 team playoff as a 12-1 SEC/PAC12/Big10/Big12 team.

Clemson will never make a 4 team playoff as a 12-1 team. However, a 12-1 Clemson would make an 8 team playoff and I do think it will expand to 8 in a few years.

It's about $$$

Nov 7, 2013, 1:30 PM

Better conference = better TV = more money

Is it really about $$ or is it about winning the Title?

Nov 7, 2013, 1:58 PM

I get that more money = bigger budget for better facilities. But Clemson is and always has been in good financial standing and our facilities are on par with the best out there. What we need is a good path to being undefeated at the end of the year, and I think we have that. Right now, the Big 10 and ACC provide the least obstacles in putting one undefeated team into the 4 team playoff. Would you really care if people called the Big 10 and ACC week if Clemson made it to the playoff? I know I wouldn't.

Re: Is it really about $$ or is it about winning the Title?

Nov 7, 2013, 2:02 PM

Unfortunately I think the relationship between money - facilities- and ESPN hype - especially the last one has an effect on recruiting, which leads to championships.

This is stupid, a 12-1 Clemson team will be ranked #3 or #4

Nov 7, 2013, 2:32 PM [ in reply to I will never pull for FSU ever, call me a nonconformist ]

this year...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's talk here about support for FSU and/or the ACC

Nov 7, 2013, 12:57 PM

Hey you won the game fair and square. But if you think anyone here gives a rats patoot who you "cheer" for you are sadly mistaken.

As far as what the conference does or doesnt do you're own your own there. I personally dont think it happens and I also think if you continue to take business you dont have a problem anyway. I can tell you there is no chain of events I can imagine where I "cheer" for your team just to be clear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After getting stuck with NIU last year.....

Nov 7, 2013, 1:24 PM

I'm not sure the Orange Bopwl would even remotely entertain such a request.

Frankly, I think the Orange would be more likely to take someone like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin or even Notre Dame over Central Florida.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The Orange Bowl has been a joke for about 20 years.***

Nov 7, 2013, 1:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I have to be honest. I'll be cheering for the Noles

Nov 7, 2013, 1:29 PM

to lose every game they play in, in every sport unless you are playing USuCk in any sport, or the real Carolina in basketball.

In fact, I think it would be hilarious if Bama and Oregon win out and Free Shoes University gets snubbed for the national championship game.

So there's that

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If FSU goes 13-0...

Nov 7, 2013, 1:31 PM

The Seminoles will be playing in Pasadena, not Miami. I'm hoping FSU and Clemson both win out, so FSU goes to the championship game and Clemson goes to the Sugar. I'm also hoping Stanford beats Oregon tonight.

Only of Bama or Oregon lose....

Nov 7, 2013, 1:41 PM

otherwise, I think it is highly unlikely FSU finishes ahead of Oregan or Bama in the BCS poll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU is already ahead of Oregon...

Nov 7, 2013, 1:48 PM

in the BCS standings. If FSU wins out, including the ACC Championship game, I don't see how the Noles could be left out of the NC game.

If Oregon beats Stanford tonight, Oregon will jump FSU

Nov 7, 2013, 2:14 PM

With games remaining against Utah, Arizona and Oregon State, Oregon has a tougher schedule to close out the regular season compared to FSU who plays Wake Forest, Syracuse, Idaho and Florida.

FSU will finish with Florida and a high ranked Miami.

Nov 7, 2013, 2:20 PM

FSU will jump again if Oregon re-jumps FSU.

Miami is going to lose two more games, starting with Va.Tech

Nov 7, 2013, 2:39 PM

this Saturday IMO, who would then move into the top Coastal spot. Either way FSU is likely playing a 3 or more loss team in the ACCCG which isn't going to provide much of a boost.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the VT that's lost to Duke @ home & BC last week?***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:43 PM

The very same one. Miami will be down after the FSU loss,

Nov 7, 2013, 2:49 PM

nobody will be in the stands, their running game has a monster void thus a one-dimensional offense, and Va.Tech needs only this win to take the Coastal lead, and this is it. The ACC Wheel of Destiny strikes again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wouldn't be head to head, so VT wouldn't have coastal

Nov 7, 2013, 2:51 PM

lead.

True up until next Thursday's GT/CU game when Tech

Nov 7, 2013, 3:02 PM

gets their 3rd conference loss. IMO Miami will be fortunate to finish out the season 2-2 from here.

You're forgetting Duke.***

Nov 7, 2013, 3:04 PM

Va.Tech would have the Coastal's best record statistically

Nov 7, 2013, 3:32 PM

after a Ga. Tech's loss to us, even though they lost the head-to-head to Duke. Duke will not win out. Either way, the Coastal rep will not bring much firepower to the ACCCG to boost an FSU team needing another top 10 win to jump an undefeated Oregon.

Florida won't mean anything.

Nov 7, 2013, 2:45 PM [ in reply to FSU will finish with Florida and a high ranked Miami. ]

Oregon already has two top-fifteen wins and would add a top five win tonight. Arizona might be ranked by the time they play and the winner of the Pac-12 South probably will, too.

Oregon will get in.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Florida means something to all the voters though, which

Nov 7, 2013, 2:47 PM

is really what this will come down to. FSU needs both Clemson & Miami to not lose a game and FSU will be in.

Miami isn't good enough to escape the rest of the way.

Nov 7, 2013, 2:51 PM

Beating a five-loss Florida team isn't going to impress anyone.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would be ridiculous to have 13-0 FSU face UCF

Nov 7, 2013, 1:46 PM

I'd think they'd figure out some way to have you play somebody other than the AAC Champ.

Everything about ther BCS is rediculous***

I don't think that will be how it will play out

There are 10 slots.

The PAC-12 MIGHT get 2 of them depending on what happens tonight. Either way I think it is good for Clemson. If Stanford wins, Oregon will get an at-large, but FSU moves up to the BCSCG freeing up the Orange or other at large for us. If Oregon wins, I don't know if a 2 loss Stanford gets in.

The SEC could be limited to just 1 spot. If Alabama runs the table, I don't see a 2 loss or more SEC team getting an at large. If Alabama isn't in the national championship game or isn't the SEC champ, they get an at large.

So thats at most 4 teams.

AAC will only get 1
Big 12 probably only gets 1 (I doubt OU gets an at-large but if they win the conference Baylor could)
Big 10 gets 1
ACC gets FSU as the conference champ or BCSCG

Thats 7

Then you get the automatic at-large like NIU was last year. Thats the wild card.

I don't see anyway that FSU's opponent affects whether a 11-1 Clemson gets an at-large. Yeah, Clemson as at large is more attractive to the Sugar or Orange than we are to the Fiesta or Rose just because of geography and regional matchup. Somebody has to play the AAC and Big 10 champ.

It's all about the order in which the Bowls get to pick....

Nov 7, 2013, 1:51 PM

and the teams that are guaranteed a sport.

I get that

Nov 7, 2013, 2:30 PM

UCF and a non-AQ auto qualifier will go before any at large.

Assumption - automatic qualifiers
AAC - Central Florida
ACC - FSU (Going to Orange)
Big 10 - Ohio State (Going to Rose)
Big 12 - Baylor (can go anywhere)
Pac 12 - Oregon
SEC - Alabama
Automatic - either Fresno State or NIU. Both will be ahead of UCF

This year the order is the Orange/Sugar/Fiesta but if it is Bama/Oregon the Rose and Sugar get first dibs. They have to take the automatic qualifiers first.

BCSCG - Alabama/Oregon
Either the Rose or the Sugar will take a Big 12 champ to replace their team in the BCSCG. The second is going to have to take either Fresno State or UCF. The other conferences are slotted.

They could move FSU out of the orange bowl since they played last year and got a crappy opponent.

We might get a crappy opponent, but again at 11-1, I'd say we have a great shot, regardless of who FSU plays.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

BCS bowls losing teams to the MNC game do not have to

Nov 7, 2013, 2:45 PM

pick automatic qualifiers over at-large teams - they have their choice of either provided the selection isn't already tied into another game. For instance, if the Rose and Sugar lose Oregon and Bama to the MNC, they couldn't select FSU as a replacement because of the ACC's tie-in to the Orange. AQ's are simply guaranteed a slot before the last selections are made.

Are you sure?

Nov 7, 2013, 3:03 PM

The BCS website sure makes it sound like the automatic qualifiers have to be selected before any at large.

They can then shuffle the teams (like FSU out of the Orange) if there are compelling reasons.

If they don't have to take the AQs first, then that will probably screw the fiesta (UCF vs Fresno St) and have great match ups in the others.

Either way you go, I don't see any way some "grand conspiracy to screw FSU to help get 2 ACC teams" can happen.

According to the BCS selection procedures linked above:

Nov 7, 2013, 3:41 PM

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-12 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select:

A. A team in the NCG, or

B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;

Further, when two bowls lose host teams, the bowl losing the No. 1 team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the No. 2 team, unless the bowl losing the No. 2 team consents.

This is where I get confused

Nov 7, 2013, 3:48 PM

From the At Large Eligibility

"If there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers, then the bowls will select at-large participants to fill the remaining berths. "

I took that to mean that AQs had to be selected first but I guess that is just to fill out the eligible pool of teams.

If Bama and Oregon are in the title game....

Nov 7, 2013, 3:31 PM [ in reply to I get that ]

the BCS selection order would be Sugar, Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta.

The locked-in teams would be:

1 vs 2: Alabama vs. Oregon
Orange: FSU (ACC Champ) vs At-Large
Sugar - At-Large vs At-Large
Fiesta - Big 12 Champ vs At-Large
Rose - Big 10 Champ vs At-Large

Must be selected: AAC Champion, Fresno State/ N. Illinois, and any team that finishes in the top-4.

The key to how it all plays out depends on if there is a team that finishes in the top four; especially if it is Clemson.

If Clemson finishes in the top four then the Sugar Bowl doesn't need to use its first pick on Clemson, and it will be free to take an SEC team first because it knows that neither the Rose (always creates Big 10 vs PAC 12 matchup) and Orange (wouldn't want to create ACC rematch with FSU) would take Clemson before their second pick.

The Orange Bowl would then be required to take either the AAc Champion or Fresno State. The Sugar Bowl would then take Clemson, and the Fiesta Bowl would take the final team.

However, if Clemson isn't in the top four, then the Sugar Bowl has a decision to make. The Orange Bowl then would have the option to take any at-large team it wants, and the Sugar Bowl would be stuck with either the AAC Champion or Fresno State.

I hope fsu wins it all.

Nov 7, 2013, 2:27 PM

Fsu is our conference rival and I hope they win every game except one a year. Fsu winning it all could only benefit the acc which in the long run would help Clemson, even if it doesn't help recruiting and you beat us the next two years.
Make no mistake I would never cheer for the gamecocks, but I don't have a problem going for our other rival to win the national championship. But if fsu somehow chokes before the national cg, I hope you lose out.

TallyNole, for the better part of the past 50 years, I

Nov 7, 2013, 3:05 PM

remained strongly anti-ACC, not due to FSU, but rather due to what most folks considered to be strong Tobacco Road influence.

While at Clemson from 1965 to 1969, we won the ACC title three times, yet it hardly registered because we deemed the CU/South Carolina game to be the end-all of each season.

Now, it appears we are wed, as are you, into the ACC for a number of years, and I believe a stronger level of conference play in football will benefit all teams. Secondly, I believe contributions by members of any organization serve to strengthen the effects of the organization.

We are rivals...at least for now due to our seasons. But I honestly believe it will serve Clemson well, as it will the conference, if both of us finish our season successfully. If we are out of the NC picture, then I hope the Seminoles run the table and travel to Pasadena.

Honestly and perhaps, as you do, I support my Alma Mater, Clemson, first and foremost. But if the stars align to result in FSU playing for the NC, unabashedly, I'll admit: I'll be cheering on the Noles...and the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with all you say

Nov 7, 2013, 4:15 PM

But there are special considerations here. It is not in FSU's interests for UCF and USF to elbow their way to the table. I don't even want to dignify UCF by playing them in the regular season. An Orange Bowl against them ? Kill me now.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic