Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Deshaun Watson the best to ever play for Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Is Deshaun Watson the best to ever play for Clemson?

Apr 5, 2017, 9:01 AM

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. By far I think he is the best QB to play for Clemson. Definitely the best player I've ever seen play but I'm only in my mid 20s.

What say you? Best Clemson football player ever?

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Deshaun Watson the best to ever play for Clemson?

Apr 5, 2017, 9:14 AM

he is definitely right there. The best at his position no doubt! Saying he is the best ever to don on Clemson uniform would be hard. There have been some greats to run down the hill, especially the last few years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 9:17 AM

Umm, Chester McGlockton was amazing, so was Terry Kinard, best ever encompasses alot of territory!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 9:18 AM

Anthony Simmons, Levon Kirkland, Terry Allen, etc. yep...a lot of territory to cover.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Deshaun Watson the best to ever play for Clemson? ]

When ranking him I try to imagine if we could have won the national championship without him and another Clemson great on the team?Could we have won it with an average qb and CJ at RB?

Obviously we'll never know but it's fun to speculate

Apr 5, 2017, 9:17 AM

Absolutely the best QB. Sammy and C.J. were electrifying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 5:07 PM

> Absolutely the best QB. Sammy and C.J. were
> electrifying.

Probably one of the best ever QB's to play in college football .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's the best player EVER.

Apr 5, 2017, 9:20 AM

Clemson or entire NCAA. The man put up almost 1000 yds in 2 games on arguably the 2 best defensive units ever fielded in college football.

Re: He's the best player EVER.

Apr 5, 2017, 9:22 AM

He's incredible for sure. When there was time left on the clock I always felt we would score. When Alabama scored and left two minutes I knew we were about to march down the field and we would have a chance to win it. The moment was never to big for him

Apr 5, 2017, 9:21 AM

I'll say best QB, but I couldn't say best player bc there has been a lot of greats that has worn the Paw and before. I think that Dawkins had one of the best or longest NFL careers, but I couldn't say that he was the best from Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fan for 40 years and the answer is YES without a doubt***

Apr 5, 2017, 9:31 AM

Apr 5, 2017, 9:35 AM

YES. At a time when college football is faster and more athletic than ever, he took Clemson to heights it has never seen before. Clemson stayed in the spotlight because of him, should have been a 3 year starter beginning with the UGA game

Apr 5, 2017, 9:49 AM

I think you have to look at the total package. There are a lot of great athletes. DW isn't even top ten in his athletic ability, But he represented this school on and off the field better than any player in my opinion. He was the most dominant when it came to the will to win football games. He also never got in trouble. Spiller is up there as well with his dedication to this University. Also never got into trouble. Oh and he was a baller. So yeah i guess it would be hard to rank. I wasn't alive during the early 80's so I cant talk about those guys.

True

Apr 5, 2017, 9:51 AM

And you also have to look at impact of a position. The QB position is easily the most impactful position as they touch the ball on every offensive play, and with his natural abilities coupled with his sheer will to win you have to feel good picking him first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stopped reading at "DW isn't even top 10 in his athletic

Apr 5, 2017, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Deshaun Watson the best to ever play for Clemson? ]

ability."

You serious Clark?

Re: Stopped reading at "DW isn't even top 10 in his athletic

Apr 5, 2017, 11:10 AM

I'd honestly have to agree with not even top 10 athlete of all time. you have to think about the fast, explosive and strong players in our program in the past. athletic ability doesn't measure the things that DW4 could do, he's a leader. Brady isn't top 10 athletically, but he's a great QB. Watson isn't even close to top 10 fastest or strongest to come through the program, I'm talking about all players not just QB's

Jeff Davis as well***

Apr 5, 2017, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Deshaun Watson the best to ever play for Clemson? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Best is one of those superlatives that will always be argued

Apr 5, 2017, 9:49 AM

Its fun to talk about, but way too many factors play into it to ever quantify in any concrete way.

I will say this though, if two people were schoolyard picking two teams from all of the players in Clemson history, I can't imagine too many people wouldn't pick him first. It's the most impactful position on the field and he's the best (IMO) to ever play that position in a Tiger uniform.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 9:56 AM

Big Dex could be by the time he leaves here... he is a freak... if we are doing a draft of just clemson players I'm taking dw4 everyday due to qb being so impactful... it's a tough question to really quantify... great time to be a tiger though I can tell you that

Yes***

Apr 5, 2017, 10:07 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Apr 5, 2017, 10:16 AM

Watson without a doubt is the best ever to wear the paw. We have had many great players on both sides of the ball, but never before has a single player had so much impact on the game and got us over the hump to win the National Championship. In 81 it was the defense not a single player. In 16 it was the offense, but that offense would not have been the same without Watson. Yes grest line, great recievers and a great rb, but Waston was the straw that stirred the drink. Best Tiger Ever, Yes in mho. GO TIGERS!

Apr 5, 2017, 10:42 AM

Hard to say for sure. DW4 is, no doubt, awesome, and ranks right up there, but he did get the benefit of playing behind a much better OL than many of the other QB's. Whitehurst was awesome, even with terrible OL play, but he wasn't the dual threat Deshaun was. Hard not to give the nod to Deshaun. He has the hardware as his credentials.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.. I'm mid 30s, but his combo of smarts, skill, and execution

Apr 5, 2017, 10:47 AM

make him the best ever at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Who would be in the running?

Apr 5, 2017, 11:00 AM

I'd vote for Deshaun as GOATAAP (Greatest Of All Time At Any Position). Who else would you put in the running though? My thoughts on a few that should be in the conversation:

Banks McFadden - Never saw him play, but I hear he was pretty good. :). All-American in football (two-time AA in basketball), AP National Athlete of the Year in 1939

Terry Kinard - Dominating safety, two-time AA, Defensive player of the year in 1982

Michael Dean Perry - Great DT, long-time Clemson sack leader (until Vic Beasley)

Sammy Watkins - Two-time AA (one as a freshman), led nation in all-purpose yards and TD's as freshman

In my view, the ranking would be:

1) Deshaun Watson
2) Terry Kinard
3) Banks McFadden
4) Sammy Watkins
5) Michael Dean Perry

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 11:11 AM

In my lifetime since 1972 yes he's the best

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2017, 12:02 PM

Yes. Goat. Nothing to discuss here .

Apr 5, 2017, 12:32 PM

He is imo, but I think Banks McFadden was pretty amazing. He comes close.

He's a good 'un

Apr 5, 2017, 2:52 PM

Good as it gets.

Weve had some great players and many more to come.

Apr 5, 2017, 3:42 PM

But i would say DW is the MVP ever at Clemson and Soon to be in the NFL as well.

He's at the top. He was clutch and rarely lost and he won

Apr 5, 2017, 3:43 PM

championships.

The best ... and at most important position

Apr 5, 2017, 4:57 PM

Only player who could have slayed Bama

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic