Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Dabo really saying we were 2 plays away from beating Bama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Is Dabo really saying we were 2 plays away from beating Bama

Jul 18, 2018, 7:34 AM

last year? That's what is implied in this Sapakoff column but he doesn't include a full quote from Dabo.

Anyway, that's like south Carolina fan level stuff if Dabo actually believes we were only two Kelly Bryant interceptions away from winning that game. Hopefully he's just using that as some kind of clever motivation tactic for the team. Either way, I'm sure the Bama fans will get a good laugh.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Dabo really saying we were 2 plays away from beating Bama

Jul 18, 2018, 7:39 AM

maybe it was 3 plays. lets not forget the cain drop. if you are a coach how could you not think that the 2 big plays by bama were huge. it was 10-6 when that happened no matter what had happened up till that point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d say it was more than 2 but not a lot more

Jul 18, 2018, 7:43 AM

If Tee catches that deep ball that he got hurt on, we don’t get picked deep in our end, and Cain doesn’t have that awful drop that game looks a lot different.

Re: I’d say it was more than 2 but not a lot more

Jul 18, 2018, 7:47 AM

correct. we didnt play our best for sure and bama came out for blood yet it was 10-6 midway through the 3rd quarter. why is it so hard for some to see

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think a lot of people tuned out

Jul 18, 2018, 7:49 AM

After the back to back picks (and the very obvious pick play) I could see how the game was turning but it’s lost on most how competitive that game was. They couldn’t do anything against our defense just like we couldn’t do anything against theirs.

I watched the entire game and we needed a lot more than

Jul 18, 2018, 8:30 AM

2 plays. Even without the two turnovers we still needed to score points on those drives. That means either scoring a TD on the 1st one where we had 2nd and 2 around the 35 - or kicking a FG there and putting together another scoring drive later. Keep in mind that we a) didn't score a TD all game, and b) had a really shaky FG kicker that struggled all year. We also would've needed to prevent Bama from scoring again which they very well might have done if they had really needed to.

So how many plays does that add up to? Quite a few i think.

Also, it's not a coincidence that we turned the ball over right when we started having some offensive success. We only attempted 3 passes that traveled 10+ yards in the entire first half + the FG drive to open the 2nd half. The first one was the Cain drop that would've been a first down on 3rd and long. That was a nice play by KB to escape quick pressure off the edge and roll out to his right. The 2nd i think was also complete to Cain right over the middle but almost got intercepted. The 3rd was a shot to the EZ where we had a good matchup but KB got immediate pressure up the middle and took a huge shot to the stomach as he threw.

So basically every we tried to throw the ball 10+ yards down the field we were close to having something bad happen - either an INT or a sack. We got more aggressive on that drive when we were down 10-6 opening with a quick back shoulder to Cain for a 1st down and then another shot down the sideline to Cain that would've been a nice gain if not for a really nice play by the Bama defender to strip the ball out on the way down. Buttttt those more aggressive shots meant more risk and that shows up quickly with the hit on KB to force the INT followed by the forced throw into traffic on the slant to Cain that got tipped up for the pick 6. Side note : Bryant HAS to see/feel that pressure coming on the 1st INT. You just have to eat that one.

Basically our OL got thoroughly dominated that entire game so it's hard for me to lay the entire thing at Bryant's feet, but it's also hard for me to believe that two plays were the difference between us winning and losing. I would personally prefer to hear the coaches and players just say they got their butts kicked and move on, but I will admit that Dabo is a master of the motivation tactics.

Re: I think a lot of people tuned out

Jul 18, 2018, 8:43 AM [ in reply to I think a lot of people tuned out ]

This x1000000000

Turnovers are a part of the game, but Clemson's D played awesome. Alabama's D just capitalized and made Clemson pay for it's mistakes heavily.

The story could easily have gone the other way to if Clemson score after recovering a Bama fumble in their own 20! Jus one of those nights where nothing was going to work on offense short of DW4 coming back for a few drives.

Let's remember: how many QBs over the years short of DW4 have actually torched Bama consistently? Not many....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson and Chad Kelly are the only ones that did

Jul 18, 2018, 8:55 AM

it more than once. lol Nick Marshall had 2 good games against them in 2013 and 2014 too, but he didn't put up many passing yards in the 2013 game.

A few others have done it once. Brian Johnson (Utah 2008), Trevor Knight, Manziel, Cardale Jones... It's a short list though.

Jul 18, 2018, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I’d say it was more than 2 but not a lot more ]

Idiots always just look at the final numbers and the score and they think they know so much just based off of that, but you absolutely have to watch a game in its entirety to know how the climax, momentum swings, etc....

That game was absolutely close and my opinion is that if we had a quarterback that could throw downfield last year we actually handle Bama because their offense did not produce vs our defense. Their 24 points is waaaaay misleading of how their offense played.

Yep I'm just a clueless idiot that's never even watched the

Jul 18, 2018, 8:38 AM

game... You got me.

Re: Yep I'm just a clueless idiot that's never even watched the

Jul 18, 2018, 8:41 AM

No no no I just meant in general.
I see how you could’ve mistaken me calling you an idiot but I wasn’t. My bad.

Jul 18, 2018, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: I’d say it was more than 2 but not a lot more ]

The same could be said for Alabama.

They definitely set themselves up to fail by playing Hurts over Tua last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I think you saw that in the championship

Jul 18, 2018, 9:18 AM

That they had a plan to go to Tua if they didn’t feel their defense could keep them close. So I’d be willing to bet that if we were moving the ball better in the Sugar Bowl we probably would’ve seen Tua in the 2nd half

Jul 18, 2018, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: I’d say it was more than 2 but not a lot more ]

Scar fan or not You’re 100% right

Jul 18, 2018, 7:46 AM

Who cares bc that game is past tense. If we play Bama again this season, that will be the best time to call plays that we can make. Excuses are for those that can do, but don't, then they want to talk about the what ifs. If a frog had wing's, they wouldn't fall on their A$$ES....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol, what?***

Jul 18, 2018, 7:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Lol, what?***

Jul 18, 2018, 8:43 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEvgK6dxQQ

I’ll say 5. The two intercepts plus our offense would have

Jul 18, 2018, 8:44 AM

needed to hit three big plays at least.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2018, 8:57 AM

I could be wrong, when it was 10-6 and KB got threw the first INT, but I believe Dabo said that we had a wide open WR on a post route. If Etienne doesn’t miss that block, and assuming KB doesn’t miss the throw, Clemson could have gone up 13-10 at that point. Their offense wasn’t doing anything against our defense. So it’s very possible that Clemson could have held on to win that game. Instead, the pick happens, they go up 17-6 after having great field position. Then KB throws a pick six and suddenly it’s 24-6. Game over at that point.

That wasn't ETN's fault at all. Anchrum totally screwed up

Jul 18, 2018, 9:08 AM

on that play and never even got a hand on the DE Jennings. ETN had stepped up in front of Bryant - likely to pick up a blitzing LB (there wasn't one on that play). I don't know what his assignment was on the play, but Anchrum came out of his stance and tried to help double the DT before stepping out wayyyy too late towards Jennings. I don't think he even got a hand on him. ETN never had a chance.

Now its possible ETN was supposed to stay out instead of stepping up, but even if he had he would've just gotten trucked. You can't ask a RB to block a completely unblocked DE that's coming with a full head of steam.

You're going to drone on until

Jul 18, 2018, 9:14 AM

Someone says you're right. So, you're right.

Now, let it go.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That wasn't ETN's fault at all. Anchrum totally screwed up

Jul 18, 2018, 11:51 AM [ in reply to That wasn't ETN's fault at all. Anchrum totally screwed up ]

I thought I remembered a post game interview where Dabo said the ETN missed his blocking assignment. If Anchrum helps the guard inside, then certainly ETN should have gone outside. I don’t know the protection call though. But either way, if KB doesn’t get hit on that throw then Clemson likely goes up 13-10. Who knows how the game ends at that point. But, the defense was playing great.

Jul 18, 2018, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Dabo really saying we were 2 plays away from beating Bama ]

Exactly

Doubt it, but it was 10-6 and we had 2nd and 2 at their 35

Jul 18, 2018, 9:04 AM

with 7 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Had we scored there and not had the two turnover interceptions, due to poor pass protection, it could have gone down to the wire. It was a lot closer than 35-0 at the half and ending up 56-7 and a lot closer than 34-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter and ending up 34-10.

It was closer than most people think

Jul 18, 2018, 9:33 AM

but not that close.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic